help with Illinois reseller's certificate

Jan 14, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Does anyone have experience obtaining a reseller's certificate for an audio rental / freelance engineering business? I'm about to embark on this process and I'm worried I'll bungle it by entering the ''wrong'' thing, so I could really use some guidance. Thanks folks!

Re: help with Illinois reseller's certificate

Not in Illinois (although I do a ton of work there), I'm in KY. It was a pretty simple process - I don't recall actual wording, but it was something to the effect of ''audio/lighting rentals and sales''.

Terry

Does anyone have experience obtaining a reseller's certificate for an audio rental / freelance engineering business? I'm about to embark on this process and I'm worried I'll bungle it by entering the ''wrong'' thing, so I could really use some guidance. Thanks folks!

Re: help with Illinois reseller's certificate

In CT all you have to do is register with the state for sales tax, and they send you the sales tax/resale certificate.

Once you start selling gear, you have to start having a legit company, doing quarterlies and paying the state their sales tax. I've been told that if you don't pay, they will find you, and you will pay severe penalties.