Hey club guys, lets see your offices (FOH)!

Marsellus Fariss

Sophomore
Oct 25, 2011
Us club guys live in dark dank beer soaked caves inhabited by wooh girls and needy fragile and clueless musicians who will do whatever it takes to make things not run smooth. It's the battlefield of audio engineering. Combat audio. As hard as it gets. Where there's as much politics and people skills as there is technical and creative chops and you can never predict what's gonna happen from night to night. It's dark, hot, smelly, glorious and probably still the best place to enjoy a live show. But we do spend an inordinate amount of time standing in one place behind one desk surrounded by the same gear and we tend to make it our own (for better or worse.) So lets see your offices ladies and gentlemen.

I'll start. I do 20-28 shows a month driving this ole' Crest Century VX. I love it like a classic car. Named it "Darth Fader." It's not an XL8. It's not even a XL200. Close though. It does however sound better then any M7 and most anything else you'll find in a club of our size. It is from the good ole' days of Crest and has enough channels to make everybody happy when the hipster or reggae promoters throw 3-4 acts on the bill. "We're really gonna need a mic on the glockenspiel for one bar in the middle 8 of one song we may or may not be able to fit in our 30 minute set as the first of 4 acts on a Tuesday. We're from Williamsburg."

IMG_2193edited.jpg

Taken during a recent clean up. I'm looking for a good rug to really tie the room together. Would it not? The Funky painted desk is an heirloom from the first days of the club. I need to give it a little love.

Re: Hey club guys, lets see your offices (FOH)!

Nobody?

Ok well.. maybe I'll try over at Gearslutz. I'll need to get a lava lamp for my console before I'll be allowed to post there though.

I'm thinking that rack gear is rather low... I don't think I'd want to stoop down all night to tap the delay....

I've got a remote pedal for the delay if anyone needs it. Most guys who use a lot of that bring their own FX. Which is what the guest area is for just left of the console is for. Laptops, outboard racks, drinks, production desk, whatever. I see a lot of the boss guitar pedal looper/delays and Kaos Pads come through with engy's for reggae/dub shows and such.

I was thinking about raising both racks up a bit with some monitor raisers we have from long long ago but haven't felt compelled yet. I recently got us 20u racks so I could keep more stuff around waste level. Before there was only one 22u rack and it was a pain in the ass to bend down so much. Mainly because we have 6 channels of EQ at FOH for when we handle wedges from up there. It kicked all the gates and comps down to your shins= sucked. It's better now.

Nice looking office! There's something more substantial and permanent about having a well thought out and from the heart analog FOH.

Thanks Bennett. I still prefer analog if I don't have to schelp it around anywhere. And it's the simplest FOH to fly with a very easy console and ubiquitous outboard. So I can clear out to monitor world and usually there's not too questions down the talkback. If I had to show somebody a digital everyday I think it would be more work. Though If it where a new Midas I wouldn't mind :)

One of the better perks of club work on in our market is you mix 75-80% of all the acts yourself. Makes for a nice "worked with" section on the resume.

My house gig FOH. Not my gear (or my choice), I just get to deal with it. I hate the "cage" that stands about 5ft tall, so I can barely see over it, and it alters the sound getting to me, but the club won't let me put in a "normal" rack. Oh well, it is what it is.

Attachments

• FOH.jpg
    FOH.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 0

My house gig FOH. Not my gear (or my choice), I just get to deal with it. I hate the "cage" that stands about 5ft tall, so I can barely see over it, and it alters the sound getting to me, but the club won't let me put in a "normal" rack. Oh well, it is what it is.

If ever an installation begged for a digital console, this is it. You'd have a chance to see and hear the band you're mixing.

My office yesterday, a nice local country club. Literally, a briefcase gig. ;>) I brought along some mics, stands, cables to go along with the mixer and SOS(Peaveys, too).

Some great players though, we actually had various attendees to the wedding applauding after numbers. A good time.

Best regards,

John

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 0

IMG_0391.jpg

Front of house is an iPad :)

Not my office! But my hang!

Attachments

• photo-1.JPG.jpeg
    photo-1.JPG.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo-2.JPG.jpeg
    photo-2.JPG.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo.JPG.jpeg
    photo.JPG.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 0

IMG_1443.jpgIMG_1444.jpg

While not a club install, this is kinda similar. I work as an Audio Contractor for the National Gallery of Art here in D.C. and this is one of the many systems in the facility which has many performance spaces (the Gallery spans 6 city blocks). It's a somewhat simple, yet involved system consisting of an LS9-16, an Aviom digital snake and network distribution system, multiple 70V systems, powered zone fills, powered zoned subs and a couple of long throw powered fills.

The events in this performance space take place every Friday night from May - September as part of the Gallery- Jazz in the Garden program held in the sculpture garden that spans two city blocks. At any given time during the evening we are responsible for covering 3-4000 people within the garden area, with a typical attendance for a good night reaching past 15,000 guests... not too bad for a 3.5hr Jazz gig!

I'd be happy to go into more detail for anyone who is interested in how the system works or is built... but I thought these photos might be interesting to add to this thread. It's certainly not a bar or club, but there is plenty of beer & alcohol going around, people smoking and often temps over 100 degrees... when it get's really packed, this can be combat audio at it's best.

Personally, I love the (less is more) setup for this, as space is at an absolute premium, and I have all of the tools I need to drive the system at hand in a very simple and clean rack setup. Plug in a few Cat5 (RJ45) connectors at various places and we're making noise pretty quickly 8)~:cool:~:cool:

This is my usual office. Mix position has to be struck often as it's a multi-use venue. There's also a new curtain across the front of the stage (pay no attention to that crappy cardboard temp).

Attachments

• office1.jpg
    office1.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 0
  • office2.jpg
    office2.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 0

View attachment 4144View attachment 4145

While not a club install, this is kinda similar. I work as an Audio Contractor for the National Gallery of Art here in D.C. and this is one of the many systems in the facility which has many performance spaces (the Gallery spans 6 city blocks). It's a somewhat simple, yet involved system consisting of an LS9-16, an Aviom digital snake and network distribution system, multiple 70V systems, powered zone fills, powered zoned subs and a couple of long throw powered fills.

The events in this performance space take place every Friday night from May - September as part of the Gallery- Jazz in the Garden program held in the sculpture garden that spans two city blocks. At any given time during the evening we are responsible for covering 3-4000 people within the garden area, with a typical attendance for a good night reaching past 15,000 guests... not too bad for a 3.5hr Jazz gig!

I'd be happy to go into more detail for anyone who is interested in how the system works or is built... but I thought these photos might be interesting to add to this thread. It's certainly not a bar or club, but there is plenty of beer & alcohol going around, people smoking and often temps over 100 degrees... when it get's really packed, this can be combat audio at it's best.

Personally, I love the (less is more) setup for this, as space is at an absolute premium, and I have all of the tools I need to drive the system at hand in a very simple and clean rack setup. Plug in a few Cat5 (RJ45) connectors at various places and we're making noise pretty quickly 8)~:cool:~:cool:

I'm pretty sure I was at one of these gigs last year while on vacation with my lady. It was interesting. Well done.

My temp office for a fest B Stage this weekend. Kinda thrown together. Not the best time I've ever had. But I got it done.

IMG_2241.jpg

My office down the hall at the club. A monitor world I just built from the clubs old FOH desk. I built a 40 splitter out of used parts off ebay and orange co. speaker XLR ends. total cost was under $200 for a 40+4 splitter snake. 70' and 25' trunks. Rock solid and problem free. Because we do most of our shows with only one engineer and maybe an intern I had to design the system such that I could move from monitors to FOH to mix openers who don't travel with engineers easily. To do this I use the 16 inputs from two BSS Soundwebs and sum the auxes from both desks in the digital domain. 8 in's on one BSS come from the monitor desk, 8 from another is from auxes from FOH via a drive snake. Either can be patched however and I can walk up to either desk, unmute channels and mix wedges. The light rope was the $8 lighting solution because I spend all the money on good Ashly's :)~:)~:smile:

IMG_2214.jpg

A club I did last week with a very under equipped office. When life gives you lemons.. make a console light out of a minimag and a mic stand.

IMG_2224.jpg

Last edited:

This is my usual office. Mix position has to be struck often as it's a multi-use venue. There's also a new curtain across the front of the stage (pay no attention to that crappy cardboard temp).

That's the most outboard I've seen for an SC48. And still no FOH graph! LOL

I don't often pull out the rack, it's just when when BEs request some analog stuff. It's a mishmash of stuff. Don't really need graphs since the SC48 and the XTA processor both have them. The lower rack is all speaker processing and CD recorder along with my accessory drawer. That one always goes out to the mix position.