I like to play little ball

Jay Barracato

Graduate Student
Jan 11, 2011
Solomons MD
Had a show last night as part of my winter bluegrass series with one of the top tier bands.

Room is a renovated timber framed milk barn. It comfortably holds about 130 people in theater style seating with about 25 of them on a small balcony. We call 130 a sell out, and had 120 last night. This past summer we added a significant amount of acoustic treatment based on a survey and design by an acoustician.

It takes me about 20 minutes to load in, and about an hour to setup and patch the stage working solo. That includes audio, lights and the stage drapes. That is a leisurely pace, with no real time constraints

The band arrived and patched in their monitor mixer via my poor man's split for their iems. They spent maybe 10 minutes checking their mix while I pulled gains out front. I pushed up the mains (simply K10's on tripods), the rough mix was an adequate starting point and everyone was happy after a couple of songs.

The first set started, and after a couple of songs I had my compressor thresholds on the instruments where I wanted them. The rest of the show, I didn't need to do much but slightly adjust the vocal levels according to which member was taking the lead.

Show was a nice comfortable 90 DBA slow with some higher peaks. There was not a hint of feedback or distortion, and my spot checks showed a very consistent sound seat to seat including the balcony.

No power problems, no rf problems in either the analog ears or the wifi they used to mix their monitors.

Two and a half hours of great music. I packed up and loaded out in under an hour, and then headed home.

While a certain amount of my technique was learned via the school of hard knocks, a great deal is due to 10(?) years hanging around the forums. The way I mix, the way I troubleshoot, the products I use, and my passion for control via measurement are the result of a long list of discussions.

Just so people don't think it was an absolute perfect show, I did miss a que for the announcers mic, and I learned that the microphone in my phone is basically useless for Facebook live, as it goes from no level at all straight to overload.

Sent from my XT1254

c6b5fc29f42846bc22d422f3e57e592f.jpg

bc1d85d64dc71dc3394a3b7e584c6b7d.jpg

Little shows like that can be a lot of fun.

What's the deal with the speakers hung with tie wire on the rafters?  Is that the house system?  They look precarious! 

The pipe and drape makes for a nice backdrop, although, you might want to look into getting some taller drape.  Another 3 feet would make a huge improvement in the overall look.

Little shows like that can be a lot of fun.

What's the deal with the speakers hung with tie wire on the rafters?  Is that the house system?  They look precarious! 

The pipe and drape makes for a nice backdrop, although, you might want to look into getting some taller drape.  Another 3 feet would make a huge improvement in the overall look.

The house system is not in use. I really don't know what the story with the cable is, because they don't support anything. The entire weight of the EAW's is on the bracket in the back. The cables are there and snug, I guess like a safety.

The curtains are part of my personal gear and I bring them to keep the monitors out of that weird reflecting box at the back of the stage. If the park is ever interested in their own set, I would recommend taller, but can't justify anything new on my end.

Sent from my XT1254

This (and the "other" forum) have been indispensable in the advance of my skills and services, for which my clients and their audiences are forever silently grateful. And, Jay has been very generous sharing the knowledge and experience he has.
For us loungers, I see it as a "pay it forward" type of arrangement. I would probably be correct in that we loungers have been the greatest recipients, but I've seen the lounge members I've met passing the knowledge on to the newbies freely as it was given to them. And the beat goes on...

Reactions: Kemper Watson