Incandescent Lightbulb "ban" 2014

Ernest Graham

Freshman
Jun 27, 2013
Richmond, Virginia, United States
I searched the forum and looked around for a solid answer online with no luck. Is anyone aware of an incandescent lightbulb ban going into effect on January 1st 2014? From what I have gathered the "ban" consists of EPA regulations mandating that all lightbulbs manufactured in the US after 2014 must meet minimum energy efficiency standards. This apparently means that 60 and 100 watt incandescent bulbs will no longer be manufactured, leaving us with two options. Horde incandescent bulbs before its too late and hope for the best or switch to an alternative and sell out your obsolete inventory while you still can. I don't actually believe that I will have a problem sourcing bulbs for my rig, but I would like to know if anyone is aware of anything concrete...

Many consumers in the dark about Jan.1 start of light bulb phase out - Computerworld

Re: Incandescent Lightbulb "ban" 2014

I searched the forum and looked around for a solid answer online with no luck. Is anyone aware of an incandescent lightbulb ban going into effect on January 1st 2014? From what I have gathered the "ban" consists of EPA regulations mandating that all lightbulbs manufactured in the US after 2014 must meet minimum energy efficiency standards. This apparently means that 60 and 100 watt incandescent bulbs will no longer be manufactured, leaving us with two options. Horde incandescent bulbs before its too late and hope for the best or switch to an alternative and sell out your obsolete inventory while you still can. I don't actually believe that I will have a problem sourcing bulbs for my rig, but I would like to know if anyone is aware of anything concrete...

Many consumers in the dark about Jan.1 start of light bulb phase out - Computerworld

That would be the Energy Independance and Security Act of 2007 (full text here (pdf).

This law (among many other energy efficiency measures) set minimum efficacy standards for general service incandescent lamps and a few other types of commonly used inefficent lamps for which there were already commercial alternatives. The full details can be found on pages 82-98 of the linked PDF.

100W incandescents were phased out 2 years ago, 75W incandescents were phased out last year, and 40W and 60W incandescents cease manufacture at the end of this year. And by "phased out" I mean that manufacture has ceased, not that sale has ceased.

There is a loophole, which was pointed out by a senior member at ControlBooth.com.
Newcandescent&#8482 Light Bulbs - Buy Legal Incandescent Light bulbs

150 watt incandescent bulbs are still available (at about $5 to $10 each) everywhere I look. No wonder they are so expensive, basically my 150 watt bulbs are part of a dwindling stock that will not be replaced by conventional bulbs for much longer. A photographer I talked to this morning mourned the loss of the more vibrant incandescent lights that we have become accustomed to compared to the less "brilliant" "ambers" and "whites" of the LED world. I can't help but notice the difference especially on the low end of the budget LED spectrum. Thanks for the information.

I am glad that LED lamps are finally dropping in cost. I really didn't like the CFLs. The light from LEDs is to my eyes better than IC lamps, while the photographer may have different subjective standards.

I currently have a fixture with 3x 60w IC lamps mounted under my desk to keep my legs warm this time of the year. I may need to pick up a few more 60W IC lamps before they disappear.

I just love it when the government tells us how to light our homes (I am being sarcastic for any reading this and still drunk :).

JR

I am glad that LED lamps are finally dropping in cost. I really didn't like the CFLs. The light from LEDs is to my eyes better than IC lamps, while the photographer may have different subjective standards.

I currently have a fixture with 3x 60w IC lamps mounted under my desk to keep my legs warm this time of the year. I may need to pick up a few more 60W IC lamps before they disappear.

I just love it when the government tells us how to light our homes (I am being sarcastic for any reading this and still drunk :).

JR

All I can do is watch with disgust and amazement (they got us again). This particular overreach seems to be as much about the profit motive as it is about the government. Although I guess the government and big business are really interchangeable these days.

All I can do is watch with disgust and amazement (they got us again). This particular overreach seems to be as much about the profit motive as it is about the government. Although I guess the government and big business are really interchangeable these days.

I prefer to give the politicians the benefit of the doubt that they believe they are doing good by forcing us to use more efficiency lighting, but this comes down to the classic flawed logic that government central planners can manage our money and resource decisions better than we individuals making such decisions for our personal self-interest can. We are experiencing an increasing pattern of similar nanny state over reach.

The Crony-capitalism where politicians serve another master (to fund re-election campaigns) is the logical consequence of government's increasing expansion into the private economy. it is just smart business to spend money to influence the government's decisions that influence markets.

For example drug companies and large healthcare providers would be stupid to not pony up on K street to buy and negotiate for their share of the new government controlled healthcare pie.

This is or should be common sense and is the natural side effect of increased government expansion into the private economy.

Of course maybe I'm wrong. :)

JR

Profit margin on consumer goods is generally pretty thin, especially with pressure from competitors who aren't spending money on R+D. And once you factor in the longer life of the more efficient lamps, I'd be surprised if the lamp manufacturers are seeing major profit boosts from this legislation.

The primary purpose of this legislation was to reduce energy consumption in the US, which is generally regarded as a good thing. Energy legislation in the US goes back at least as far as the Energy Policy Act of 1992 (and there have been updates since then). This isn't a new type of legislation, and the reception of previous laws of this type have been overall positive. Given consumers' track record of adopting energy efficient technology (the so called "green movement" included), I'd posit that this type of legislation is a good thing.

And for those who want energy efficient lamps that don't suck, try the ones that meet the requirements of Energy Star. Or if you must have something that acts like incandescent, try one of the halogen lamps that meets the efficacy standards.

Must be a lot of bachelors in this thread. I value CFL's when I come home from a show and every light in the house is turned on for some reason, but the Mrs. and her friends are all in the family room watching movies.

A guy I used to work with installed those motion detectors in all the light switches in his house for this very reason.

On the other hand I have gone a couple of weeks moving one bulb from fixture to fixture around the house.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

I just use the glow from my cell phone screen to light my way to the bathroom at 1AM...and 4AM...and 7AM...

Last edited:

The actual cost savings of switching bulb types in a residential home is nowhere near as pronounced as you may think, especially in rooms where the lights are not used often, such as a closet or attic.

A traditional 60 watt light bulb can be had for under 50 cents, and would have an average usable life of 1000 hours. A 14 watt CFL, which produces roughly the same output of the 60 watt light can be found now for about $1.50 for the very cheap ones, roughly 3x the price for a bulb. The rated hours of a CFL is usually around 10,000 hours of operation. The problem with the cheap ones is that they take time to 'warm up' to get to a usable brightness, and that 10,000 hour figure doesn't seem accurate, based on the number of them that I've had go bad.

Anyway, let's look at the cost of operation in a low use situation, such as a light in your attic. I personally don't spend a ton of time in my attic. Maybe once or twice a month I'll have to crawl up there for something. If I'm up there, maybe it's for 10 minutes to adjust the antenna, or to store some christmas decorations, etc. So, 10 minutes, twice a month comes to that light being on for about 4 hours per year total. Based on the life expectancy of an incandescent, that bulb could still be functional for up to 250 years. Yes, it's going to be less because the burn time of 1000 hours gets shortened every time you turn the light on and off, but the same thing happens (and worse) with CFL's. And powering up CFLs in the winter is much harder on them, and they take forever to get to full brightness. So let's take the life of the bulb out of the equation and look at the actual energy costs to operate each bulb.

For cost comparison, the average price of electricity is somewhere around 15 cents per kWh.

4 hours per year at 60 watts for the incandescent = .24 kWh per year, or about 3.6 cents per year to operate.
4 hours per year at 14 watts for the CFL = .06 kWh, or about .9 cent per year to operate.

Yes, it's a significant savings of 2.7 cents per year. However, remember that the CFL cost $1.00 more than the incandescent, so that means it would take 37 years to pay off the difference in switching the bulb. In order for the bulb to pay for itself in a more realistic lifespan, it would have to be used for 30 hours per year at minimum.

Now, let's consider other factors. I'm guessing an incandescent bulb is more likely to be able to sit for 37 years and be functional, vs a CFL, due to the more complex electronics inside of the CFL. Let's also consider the more toxic materials that are inside a CFL, such as mercury, that should be disposed of properly at the end of their life. Let's also consider that there are NO CFL manufacturers in the United states, due to environmental regulations that prohibit it. So now, in order to enforce this, ALL bulb manufacturing is moved overseas. I did find one manufacturer that claims to 'assemble' the lights in the US, but the raw manufacturing is still done overseas. The cost of those lamps was a whopping $6.50 each.

Installing motion detectors in the rooms is another thing that may not be economical. A motion detector usually costs $15-$20. The motion detector, in standby mode, waiting for motion uses about 1 watt of power. When activated, and the light is on, it adds about 5 watts of power to the use of the bulb. Also, the trickle power usage that the motion detector uses can cause havoc on the ballast of the CFL. So let's do some math. A normal CFL on for 4 hours per day at 14 watts uses 20.44 kWh per year, or about $3.06 If using the motion sensor drops that usage to 2 hours per day, that's 2 hours at 19 watts, and 22 hours at 1 watt, or 21.9 kWh for about $3.28 per year. Yes, installing that motion detector to have the light on for 2 hours less per day costs MORE in electricity to operate!!! Obviously with larger bulbs and different duty cycles, the numbers change, but in reality, motion sensors aren't going to create the savings you might think.

Now, what is nice with more efficient lighting is that leaving it on is less of a cost to worry about. In the entry way of my house, I installed a 6 watt LED light. This gets me roughly the same light as a 60 watt bulb did. The operational cost for me to have that bulb on 24 hours per day, 7 days a week is under $7. If I forget to turn it off for one full day, the cost to operate is about 2 cents. Certainly not something to lose any sleep over. In fact, with ALL of the primary lights on in my house ALL day long, the operational cost is still less than $1 per day.

Yes, I installed LED lighting in many places simply for the fact that now I can leave lights on whenever I want and not really care about it. The cost savings of buying LEDs to replace the traditional bulbs didn't justify the purchase, especially if I only used what I needed. However, the longer life of LEDs (so far which has been better than any CFLs) and the pleasing color options that are available were the deciding factors. Plus, now I can be lazy and leave all the lights on in the house all the time and not care.

A traditional 60 watt light bulb can be had for under 50 cents, and would have an average usable life of 1000 hours. A 14 watt CFL, which produces roughly the same output of the 60 watt light can be found now for about $1.50 for the very cheap ones, roughly 3x the price for a bulb.
Dunno where you shop but I can get CFLs for 50 cents no prob.

I'm not aware of any occupancy sensors designed for use with fluorescent loads that add any additional load to a circuit when the lights are on, or that put phantom current through the load. All the ones I've run across use a relay to switch the load.

I agree that it doesn't make sense to replace a lamp used for 4 hours a year, but if the use is that infrequent, that lamp is unlikely to require replacement any time soon, so that's a bit of a moot point

Unless you really have a thing about lighting up your assets ;)~;-)~:wink: try ceramic heating elements:
ceramic heat reptile | eBay
or just buy a cheap space heater.

Thanx I wasn't aware of those, while maybe 20x what my 60W IC bulbs cost . When the IC bulbs are no longer available and my stash is depleted I may go that way.

IC bulbs as heaters are old school red neck heaters.. I recall using them for poor man's incubators back in the 50s-60s.

The lamps do keep the cockroaches at bay...

JR

Thanx I wasn't aware of those, while maybe 20x what my 60W IC bulbs cost . When the IC bulbs are no longer available and my stash is depleted I may go that way.

IC bulbs as heaters are old school red neck heaters.. I recall using them for poor man's incubators back in the 50s-60s.

The lamps do keep the cockroaches at bay...

JR

One of the energy efficiency arguments they are using is that 90% of the energy is wasted as heat and not light.
Here in the great-white-north I greatly appreciate all that extra heat!
Right now electricity here is cheaper than using propane to heat so changing out ALL of my IC bulbs would be noticeable in my increased propane use -or having to add an additional space-heater.
I keep the heat low in my workshop (converted 1.5-car 1920's standalone garage) overnight when I'm not using it and fire up a bank of 6 X 1000W par cans when I first get in there to flash-warm it up while the baseboards catch-up. Stupid yes I know, but it bugs me more to churn away 6000W of baseboard heaters for the 12-hours I'm NOT using it (and because it's only averaging a R-10 insulation rating they rarely get to the point of cycling off)
I do prefer all my filaments and resistors even if they aren't as efficient as the fan noise and drying-you-out feeling of forced air drives me crazy.

One of the energy efficiency arguments they are using is that 90% of the energy is wasted as heat and not light.
Here in the great-white-north I greatly appreciate all that extra heat!
Right now electricity here is cheaper than using propane to heat so changing out ALL of my IC bulbs would be noticeable in my increased propane use -or having to add an additional space-heater.
That seems unusual... I have electric resistance heat and it is generally the most expensive. We also just got a 15% electricity rate increase to pay for the new clean coal plant (yes clean coal is an oxymoron).
I keep the heat low in my workshop (converted 1.5-car 1920's standalone garage) overnight when I'm not using it and fire up a bank of 6 X 1000W par cans when I first get in there to flash-warm it up while the baseboards catch-up. Stupid yes I know, but it bugs me more to churn away 6000W of baseboard heaters for the 12-hours I'm NOT using it (and because it's only averaging a R-10 insulation rating they rarely get to the point of cycling off)
I do prefer all my filaments and resistors even if they aren't as efficient as the fan noise and drying-you-out feeling of forced air drives me crazy.
Modern time of day thermostats are getting cheaper (maybe $45). I am currently heating my small bedroom with a 1kW baseboard heater, and so far it can keep up with low 20's outside.

I am using an in-wall heat pump to heat my main room, which in theory uses only 1/3 the electricity per BTU of heat as the old resistance heat. I don't think heat pumps work as well up in the colder latitudes.

But selectively heating just the room you are in, saves money.

JR