Industry Standard Accordion Amp

Ben Lawrence

Senior
Mar 2, 2011
Vermont
vtaudiovisual.com
I have a gig coming up where they need an amp for an accordion. I typically sub rent but might just buy something as it saves me a bunch of running around. I specced a Roland KC 200 and they seemed ok with that but what is the preferred amplifier? Would a Fender Twin be something people use? I would probably look to go that way if possible as it does get asked for occasionally. Give me some input.

Ben,

Two (or more) accordion mics are probably being used, so unless they specifically asked for a "guitar" amp (implying distortion) a keyboard type amp with two input channels, each with separate tone controls would be the best bet.
The player probably wants to hear more of the accordion than anybody else would in the typical low-budget one or two monitor mix situation they might often see, asking for an amp would probably be more likely to happen than a separate accordion monitor mix.

Art

Just an unsolicited tip. I have found many times internally microphones are used for accordions. They can pick up a lot of stage wash. Your polarity button can be your friend.

What, you were serious?
<sorry>
If he wants DI's, I'm guessing he's pretty serious.
Usually they just wander up to a vocal mic and wail away.
I'd second Art's Keyboard Amp suggestion, and Doug's bleed warning.
CChris.

Only times I’ve worked with one who used an amp, they brought their own. I don’t recall what was used but I believe they were keyboard amps. I agree with all of the above. Most of these bands work with all kinds of sound companies of various levels and they often try to cover the bases on a stage plot. (Which may be out of date)

Let us know how it works out.

I have a gig coming up where they need an amp for an accordion. I typically sub rent but might just buy something as it saves me a bunch of running around. I specced a Roland KC 200 and they seemed ok with that but what is the preferred amplifier? Would a Fender Twin be something people use? I would probably look to go that way if possible as it does get asked for occasionally. Give me some input.
Hey Ben , in my opinion ....much like an acoustic amp or a keyboard amp , what works is a lot of clean headroom power . Myself , for that application I would go more for a higher quality solid state amp of the 1/12 combo or head and speaker configuration . Minimum of 100watts in the amp , not so much for loudness but clarity of sound with lots of headroom availability . Not sure of your age but weight for me is premium so I have sold and traded all my 2/12 amps because realistically unless you play on really large stages and are a good distance from your speaker(s) they are not necessary . A good option for you , I think and not restricted to , would be a Quilter 100watt head and a 1/12 cab loaded with a JBL 150 watt . That is just one example . Reasons I like the head / cabinet config is portability ( weight ) and you have options as to using more than one power head if desired. I cite QSC because they are definitely a quality product , but also are not cheap . Price and quality generally go hand in hand but also generally the price of a 100 watt head will give you, in most cases better , cleaner headroom and tone . The QSC mono block amps weigh under 1lb but deliver huge sound and great tone , but they are just an example there are other manufactures out there . The main thing for Accordion I feel is clean headroom and great tone and solid state over a tube amp , unless you want amp breakup or tube distortion , is the better choice , but that is just my opinion . Hope that helps :)

Mike,

That would be the Cordovox accordion. Haven't seen one of those since around 1979, at EMI (Electronic Musical Instrument repairs).
Like an organ, the Cordovox used tone generators.

Art

Last edited:
Mike,

That would be the Cordovox accordion. Haven't seen one of those since around 1979, at EMI (Electronic Musical Repairs).
Like an organ, the Cordovox used tone generators.

Art
Just looked it up, that is it. I was doing sound for a rockabilly band in the late 90's and they had one, only time I ever saw one. Looks like they were distributed out of Chicago by Chicago Music Instrument.

I just picked up the Roland unit. Appreciate all the advice. Running a little low on time so didnt want to be shopping around too much.
You never know. You might see a deal on a used keyboard amp on the marketplace at some point in the future.

Reminds me of the last time I bought expensive mics to meet a rider, and the artist showed up with their own, different mics..
Did the band still even have an accordion player, and if so, what was used for reinforcement of the instrument?
The last couple of times I rented esoteric tube DIs and sophisticated EFX processors (in Yee Olde Analogue Dayz) and the FOH mixerperson asked "what are these for?" Or the alternate "do you know how to use these?"