Interconnects colour coding

Carl Klinkenborg

Oct 25, 2018
Bideford, Devon. UK
Hi All, is there any standard for colour-coding the outer insulation of XLR cables? I have made up my own system but am re-jigging my system and wish to comply with any standardisation which exists.

The EIA color code is the closest there is to a standard, but it's far from universal. For example, neither Hosa nor Whirlwind follow it on their standard products (using printed numbers and group coloring instead). And Belden lists no fewer than 9 different wire color codes in their catalog ( http://www.techsheet.com/BroadcastInstallShop/pdf/belden/colourcodes.pdf ).

Personally, I'd rely on clear labeling and using color to denote group or function instead of relying on color codes (this is essentially what Whirlwind does).

Use a label on the male end, covered with clear heat shrink. All cable on stage or seen on camera should be black unless there is some intentional artistic design involved. Inside a rack or where nobody sees it, color doesn't matter but labels are still your friend.
As my sight is failing, colour-coding is a winner over tiny labels in darkish racks, but I see that your suggestion is foolproof. I'm also investing in 8-pole Speakons to reduce the chances of a cock-up!