Inventory system.

Ben Gingerich

Sophomore
Oct 19, 2012
Warner Robins Ga
Im looking into an inventory system for rental/production. Would like everything to scan in and out of wearhouse and be assigned to a job.
I will take any suggestions you have.
For those of you that have a system in place, is it worth it?
We have 4 to 8+ events any given weekend.
Thanks.

I think the best part of inventory management software is letting you know what gear has been booked on what shows; and lets you know if you're short.

For some of them you can also use for crewing and scheduling.

And of course used as a base for quoting/invoicing.

But as to scanning in/out of warehouse, it's a huge labour cost and only goes so far. You may still need to open up cases and count cables. Even with RFID you will probably need to open up mic trunks to allow the RFID to scan.

In my experience with multliple shows going out (8T truck loads or greater) we tend to lose the small things like mics, cables adaptors not lose a cart of line array boxes - so it's the things that are difficult to scan/RFID which are the ones that we lose; not the ones which are easy to RFID/Scan.

I'm aware of other companies that do major tours and it can make sense then - you scan once for the out, once for the in and do lots of shows inbetween. so your scan cost is spread across the tour.

But when you've got 4-8 shows going out today and coming back tomorrow - that cost isn't spread :(

Software i've used are rental point and flex. Both are good; there are others as well that are also probably good.

I like flex because it's online. I don't need to worry about backups; having a server; remote access to my server when out on a show or having to install custom software for everyone that needs to use it.

Regards,

Andrew

We have just moved to FLEX which is cloud based. It will do what you need and is designed for production companies. I took us a couple weeks to get it up and running, inventory, barcode, and train everyone but it was very worth the time and price.