Is anyone's business affected by politics?

Re: Is anyone's business affected by politics?

Lost in the weeds? Or informed?

Randy asked a very good question.
Jason gave a very god answer.

Good answer?

This is typical small ball politics. To get the right angry about not paying death benefits to military or Obama playing golf, while the left is angry about the seminal health care legislation being threatened. This is to distract us from the real issues (Tax more or spend less?).

The argument and debate is not between you and me, it is between Barry, Beohner and Reid. They need to stop trying to stir up public anger to pressure each other, and do their damn job. Public opinion polls look like a race to the bottom for all three. Whom do you hate least??

JR

To the OP. As this drags out, and I have a longer time line to look at, I would say that I am experiencing a slow down, or lull.
Just like at bats, three weeks might be too short a time to tell, but it has been slow for me sales wise.
Is it because customers are distracted by the theater in Washington? Hard to tell.

I did get one very interesting call last week.
From Canada.

Last edited:

JR, I know this is a topic that you are passionate about, both emotionally and logically.

But as I look at most of your last post's you are saying nothing. You are sounding like a politician who is either evading a question,
or trying to direct attention to themselves, all while saying nothing.

Why can't Randy and Jason have that conversation?
And why do you need to keep interjecting "the last word", even when you have nothing to say?

Good answer?

This is typical small ball politics. To get the right angry about not paying death benefits to military or Obama playing golf, while the left is angry about the seminal health care legislation being threatened. This is to distract us from the real issues (Tax more or spend less?).

The argument and debate is not between you and me, it is between Barry, Beohner and Reid. They need to stop trying to stir up public anger to pressure each other, and do their damn job. Public opinion polls look like a race to the bottom for all three. Whom do you hate least??

JR

Not to feed this, but yes the executive branch is supposed to enforce all laws completely and equally.

Likewise all federal employees are supposed to not participate in playing politics.

Ignore the words watch their feet....

JR

Both sides have drawn hard lines in the sand... I find it difficult to hold one or the other fully responsible for the impasse. We certainly are not going to get credible input from the evening news sound bit du jour.

Relax, and like a crying baby they will stop eventually.

The only people calling this a crisis are them. Think about that.

JR

If we argue among ourselves the political puppet masters are winning. As long as they think they can win the public debate they will keep trying, and not engage each other privately.

Ignore the public spin from both sides.. Both sides need to sit down and talk to each other.

This is not a time to assign blame, a political distraction, it is time for both to do their job and get back to the peoples business, not filling their campaign kitties.

JR

JR, I know this is a topic that you are passionate about, both emotionally and logically.

But as I look at most of your last post's you are saying nothing. You are sounding like a politician who is either evading a question,
or trying to direct attention to themselves, all while saying nothing.

Why can't Randy and Jason have that conversation?
And why do you need to keep interjecting "the last word", even when you have nothing to say?

I thought I was clear, so one time very slowly.

The politicians...(not me) are stirring up public anger to put pressure in each other (a transparent political strategy apparently some still do not grok).

There are probably a hundred such talking points engineered to create emotional anger from both sides, that IMO are all beside the point.

The point, and real dispute IMO is whether to increase taxes or reduce spending. That is the crux of the biscuit.

This "shutdown" is about a budget CR, and sliding into a debt limit increase (less than a week away), both related to spending within our means or raising taxes.

I am just trying to point out the man behind the curtain. I am not one of them.

Amuse yourselves... I am just trying to shed some light on the issue behind the topic.

JR

PS: I do not always insist on getting the last word. Post something I agree with and I will hit the like button and move on. Addressing a post to me, and criticizing my posting behavior and saying I sound like a politician is definitely not how to keep me quiet.

I thought I was clear, so one time very slowly.
JR

PS: I do not always insist on getting the last word. Post something I agree with and I will hit the like button and move on. Addressing a post to me, and criticizing my posting behavior and saying I sound like a politician is definitely not how to keep me quiet.

Saying it more often, even slower, does not make it righter or more pertinent.

And, it's OK for your to criticize Randy and Jason, but not for me to criticize you? Got it.

Last edited:

Saying it more often, even slower, does not make it righter.

And, it's OK for your to criticize Randy and Jason, but not for me to criticize you? Got it.

Hmmmm.....I kinda agree with JR's context here. Kinda like arguing over what sauce is the most environmentally friendly, when there is a big problem with the worldwide pasta supply. Personally, I prefer posts that question the underlying premise of an argument rather than the semantics and opinions of the argument process.

Hmmmm.....I kinda agree with JR's context here. Kinda like arguing over what sauce is the most environmentally friendly, when there is a big problem with the worldwide pasta supply. Personally, I prefer posts that question the underlying premise of an argument rather than the semantics and opinions of the argument process.
Exactly.

The whole point is that ALL those clowns that work in Washington D. C. need to get past the concept of party lines, party affiliations, and lobbyists and start doing what we hired them to do: Represent the people and the people's opinions in their districts. I would expect that there is not one constituent in any congressperson's district that is happy about the government being "closed". Ergo, the members of congress are not representing their districts. These clowns need to quit preying on people's emotions and sit down to get some work done.

Exactly.

The whole point is that ALL those clowns that work in Washington D. C. need to get past the concept of party lines, party affiliations, and lobbyists and start doing what we hired them to do: Represent the people and the people's opinions in their districts. I would expect that there is not one constituent in any congressperson's district that is happy about the government being "closed". Ergo, the members of congress are not representing their districts. These clowns need to quit preying on people's emotions and sit down to get some work done.

There are roughly 50 members of the House that are doing exactly what they were elected to do: obstruct government in general and the current administration in particular. Many of the constituents that voted for this representation are, in fact, gloating and happy that they've brought official Washington to a stand-still.

Their districts have been Gerrymandered, too, so these obstructionists will almost certainly be re-elected.

Saying it more often, even slower, does not make it righter or more pertinent.

I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to Randy and Jason if they think I was criticizing them... If they correctly do not think I was criticizing them we're cool. :)

Jack, I'm sorry you take such offense to my posts but at the moment I am pretty angry at the pukes in DC.. I find myself changing the channel from the business news station (CNBC) I keep on in the background, because I start yelling back at my TV (yelling things at them I would never post here) everytime one of the leadership politicians lies, which is pretty much every time they open their mouth these days.

This is all political theater, and they will either sign a small deal or a big deal (probably a small deal so they can keep arguing) before the 17th, or not.

If ya'll want to waste time arguing among yourselves have at it. Neither side deserves that much respect IMO.

JR

There are roughly 50 members of the House that are doing exactly what they were elected to do: obstruct government in general and the current administration in particular. Many of the constituents that voted for this representation are, in fact, gloating and happy that they've brought official Washington to a stand-still.

Their districts have been Gerrymandered, too, so these obstructionists will almost certainly be re-elected.

Tim, I think that Sen. McCain let the genie out of the bottle when he, in a very ill-conceived move to gain momentum in his floundering presidential run, picked the brazen Sarah Palin to be on the ticket. And, since the Fox/talk radio media platform was already in place - and since the 1% crowd was needing useful idiots to help them gain a majority by any expedient means possible to protect their economic interests - Palin energized and emboldened the rabble to coalesce around her brand of red-blooded kookiness, impervious to any sort of reason. And as 1930's California senator William Gibbs McAdoo is quoted as saying: "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument."

But, now, the money people are scared of the tea party monster that they have bankrolled (if not created), since, like all good zealots, the tea bags are more than willing to bring the country to a halt - with economic chaos a foregone conclusion - in order to remain true and pure to their beliefs. The $ people are already putting the pressure on, and, hopefully the default will not happen.

But who knows? I DO know that my congressman is Paul Broun, who proudly declares the earth to be 6000 years old, and that "evolution is a lie from the pit of hell." Not exactly confidence inspiring. And the gerrymandered districts mean that it will indeed be difficult to perform a kookectomy. So the zealots remain entrenched and the national GOP suffers the fallout, as most American voters are rightly loathe to endorse someone like Ted Cruz.

Last edited:

I know some of you dispise the Tea Party.But they are the only group in Washington that wants to seriously reduce the debt.When Obama was a Senator durring the Bush Administration,he said " “The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America’s debt limit.” He was right.It is a failure of leadership and he was right to vote against it back then.But today,he's for it.So he voted against it before he was for it! We can't afford to keep on spending and borrowing money we don't have.I for one do not want to leave our debt to our kids and grand kids.

I know some of you dispise the Tea Party.But they are the only group in Washington that wants to seriously reduce the debt.When Obama was a Senator durring the Bush Administration,he said " “The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America’s debt limit.” He was right.It is a failure of leadership and he was right to vote against it back then.But today,he's for it.So he voted against it before he was for it! We can't afford to keep on spending and borrowing money we don't have.I for one do not want to leave our debt to our kids and grand kids.

Yeah, politicians say the darnedest things, and those words come back to haunt them (or at least get flung about later). Other than the grandstanding of "hey, your guy does it, too" (pick any side, doesn't matter) it's kind of move along, nothing to see here, folks. And besides, political humor has to start somewhere.... ;)

As to what we leave, I think the first priority should be a functioning and functional republic. The details should be negotiated, but until we can agree to agree, we can at least keep doing the things Congress has committed to in prior legislation. Whether that's paying pensions to veterans or staffing the FCC, Congress should honor all existing obligations. Congress has its say about what programs are created and how they're funded, those are parts of the legislation. To go back and say, "ah, just kidding, we're not going to allow the treasury to pay the tab for the governance we legislated" is intellectually dishonest and philosophically repugnant.

As to what programs to reduce or eliminate it comes down to whose ox do you gore? Every program is the darling of some constituency or it wouldn't exist.

We can't afford to keep on spending and borrowing money we don't have.I for one do not want to leave our debt to our kids and grand kids.
Sure we can. I've known a few people that got so far in debt that they just said "ef it" and maxed out all of their cards and declared bankruptcy. I forget what year we are predicted to reach the point where our interest payments will exceed the GDP but we sure on the course towards that. Then how do the Demicans and Republocrats continue to kick the can down the road?

I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to Randy and Jason if they think I was criticizing them... If they correctly do not think I was criticizing them we're cool. :)

Jack, I'm sorry you take such offense to my posts but at the moment I am pretty angry at the pukes in DC.. I find myself changing the channel from the business news station (CNBC) I keep on in the background, because I start yelling back at my TV (yelling things at them I would never post here) everytime one of the leadership politicians lies, which is pretty much every time they open their mouth these days.

This is all political theater, and they will either sign a small deal or a big deal (probably a small deal so they can keep arguing) before the 17th, or not.

If ya'll want to waste time arguing among yourselves have at it. Neither side deserves that much respect IMO.

JR

JR,no need for an apology.We're having a discussion. All points of view are welcome.I think those of us involved in this discussion could solve the problems our country faces better than our leaders can.Like I said in an earlier post.We have a lack of leadership.Boehner,Obama,Reid,McConnel.Not a leader in the whole bunch.

Sure we can. I've known a few people that got so far in debt that they just said "ef it" and maxed out all of their cards and declared bankruptcy. I forget what year we are predicted to reach the point where our interest payments will exceed the GDP but we sure on the course towards that. Then how do the Demicans and Republocrats continue to kick the can down the road?
I heard a theory yesterday that since the US borrows always in US dollars, we could just print $17 T and pay off the debt whenever we wanted.

I heard a theory yesterday that since the US borrows always in US dollars, we could just print $17 T and pay off the debt whenever we wanted.

You could, but only drug lords take that kind of cash these days ;)~;-)~:wink:

You could sell Hawaii to the Chinese 8)~:cool:~:cool:

........... or rechannel all that military spending :twisted: