JBL STX Impressions/Opinions

Ian Coughlin

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
New York
www.dtgentertainment.com
Does anyone have first hand experience with this series? Any professional opinion on this series? Are they a step forward, backward or to the side from the previous SRX? Just looking for a general overall experience/opinion.

I have the SRX powered by I-Tech HD and they've never disappointed. Also have a pair of STX828s which is making me lean this way (vs active or another mfg) but I still have mixed feelings about this series.

Specifically looking for "louder" tops, which in this situation would be the 835 or 825s. I know some might say to stick with it just because of what I already have but would be willing to flip if worthwhile.

Sent from my iPad

Re: JBL STX Impressions/Opinions

The STX system has been out in the wild for 2+ years. I have not heard any complaints about the cabinets being produced; the only complaint out there wasn't a SRX722 replacement.

One a year I work on the STX835 & Lab Gruppen PLM; I have no issues on what the boxes need to cover. But the trick with the STX835 is getting them very high in the air (horn is in the middle/center of the box).

The STX system has been out in the wild for 2+ years. I have not heard any complaints about the cabinets being produced; the only complaint out there wasn't a SRX722 replacement.

One a year I work on the STX835 & Lab Gruppen PLM; I have no issues on what the boxes need to cover. But the trick with the STX835 is getting them very high in the air (horn is in the middle/center of the box).

Matt, thanks for the reply. To play devils advocate, they have been out 2+ years and your review was one of the only ones I found while searching which concerned me. Then again is no news good news?

I planned on deploying the 828S's vertically and stacking the 835's or 825's on top. The only reason why I considered the 825's was because of said issue about the horn height...

There have been some 1 liner remarks about the series in many different threads. Mostly about the Subs.

It's am improvement of the older stuff.

I was going to buy the STX835 for the larger shows and STX715 for smaller shows... but I changed my plan and went to a self contained box.

The STX cabs use 2226 and 2206 drivers which have certainly proven themselves over the years. I have them in my old SR series cabs, and though heavy, they are excellent speakers. I would think that the STX line should be very durable and reliable though not as light weight as the SRX.

Overal, if you've got SRX cabinets now, upgrading to the STX is more of a side-grade than an upgrade. The STX cabinets sonically seem very similar to the SRX. However, they don't use Neo magnets, so every cabinet weighs in a bit more than the SRX did. The coverage pattern of the monitors is70X70 vs 90X50. Personally, I prefer the tighter pattern of the SRX for a stage monitor.

The dual 18" sub is the one cabinet where the improvements are notable. The smaller truck pack size of the box is handy, and the hand holds cut into the box make it much easier to move around. The added weight of that size box is minimal.

If you are upgrading from SRX, I wouldn't go to STX. It's just not enough of a jump in quality. I haven't used the 835's yet but I have mixed on the 825's and they suffer the same problems that the 725 does.

Particularly if you are considering the 835 box. They are about 135 pounds, 3 way MI-level cabinets. You could buy KF650's for the same price (good used) and have a rider-friendly, 3-way box that weighs 135 pounds. Both cabinets have the same horn-in-the-middle problem so that's a wash.

I've been looking into the SRX dual 18s and the 835s for tops. I'm wondering a few things since it's now been a few years since this thread was created. Is stacking the 835s on top of the dual 18s cab safe, and do the horns get out enough if set up on ground level? I really want a set up like this that powerful but doesn't have the speakers on trees (DJ look).

Secondly, any advancement on STX vs SRX series and the key take aways?

For bass - I want to get back to ultra clean bass, I want to hear every note. Been sick of sound many shows being wooofed blombed out. I'm using the EV ELX18s currently, which I know aren't steller, but they couldn't ever produce clean bass.