JBL Versus RCF

andrepaul

Freshman
Feb 12, 2014
www.facebook.com
Hi we are trying to decide between a JBL Vretec VTX V25 24(boxes)
Or the
RCF TTL 55a (24 boxes)
Shows consist of mainly Edm concerts for 10,000 apro people.
Area 100mtr wide and 300ft Long.

We need a system that is versatile enough to handle a classical instrument setup to a rock band concert to an Edm event.

Please advice.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: JBL Versus RCF

Yes but Rcf is not too bad. I am sure can push it along in riders.
What I need to know is if there was a performance difference in the two as to which one can be pushed to the limits and will out perform the other.

Sent from my iPhone

Although the Rcf is slightly a head being an easy system to rigg up and patch. Also deal am getting from the distributor is much better than the one I am getting from Jbl

Sent from my iPhone

The JBL is a larger box with 15" LF drivers which will go lower and have more low/low mid energy. The JBL is 3dB down at 41Hz, 50Hz for the RCF. It also has 4x the MF drivers (4x 8" vs. single 10"). Given the choice between 24 boxes of each just based on output, my bet is on the V25. I haven't yet heard either to judge sound quality differences. I'm betting they both sound great. But given the driver differences at full power, I'm betting the JBL has less IM distortion in the mids when pushed relative to the RCF. And 48 modern high powered 15" drivers are going to hit pretty hard compared to 48 12" drivers for low end before getting into the subs.

In all my touring, I've run into 1 RCF line array. On the other hand, I've run into countless JBL rigs and have toured several times with VTX. While I can't comment on the RCF (because I don't remember), I can say that VTX is phenomenal.

As for the rider acceptability, if you're playing a show that's going to draw 10,000 people, you've probably got some pull when it comes to rider. I don't believe RCF will win a rider battle over VTX.

No one bothered to ask where the OP is located. Maybe JBL is not that popular over there. Ill go for RCF any day instead of JBL.
Anyhow, RCF is 4 way powered, JBL is not. Yet JBL is 15kg heavier.
Comparing one 10 inch horn loaded mid with 4 reflex/sealed 8 inch drivers is also apples and oranges. Same goes for two reflex 15s against two bandpass 12s.
I would give a bit advantage to JBL in the hf part. It is BMS there after all.

Anyhow, RCF is 4 way powered, JBL is not. Yet JBL is 15kg heavier.

This tells me a lot about component/cabinet construction.

I've used the VTX quite a few times, haven't ever used the RCF 55A so I can't comment on their sound… but the VTX box is amazing sounding in the high end freqs. To me, that is where the JBL box shines the most.

I know you stated EDM, but later you said that you would want it to be versatile enough for classical concert & live band situations. There are few boxes that I would be more happy with to deal with live mics at this moment than the JBL, and their costs are far and above either company spoken of here.

I've mixed on the RCF and the JBL offerings. I wouldn't even consider the RCF box in the same league. The amount of LF the VTX has without subs is pretty impressive. The RCF is not. Based on my experiences(8/side of either) the JBL has better extension, and about 10dB more output.

Evan

The story JBL reps tell is there is a brilliant, tenured, Russian engineer who was the driving force behind the development of the driver. How are the JBL and BMS similar? My understanding from looking at pics of both drivers is that they do the same thing in different ways.

Last edited: