Lake Controller on Macbook with VMware

Raul Suarez

Freshman
Mar 2, 2011
Hayward, CA
I am having problems getting this to work. Trying to use v5.8 build 5111 the latest. I am running XP under VM Ware on Macbook (not pro). It seems to install just fine but when I try to run Controller it will load up to the the screen asking if you want a blank configuration. Once I tap on either button (yes or no) it starts to be unhappy with multiple copies of the mouse arrow jumping around the screen and hangs up. I seem to remember Bennet running Controller with VM Ware. Though I am not sure which machine (macbook or macbook Pro) he was using. I am looking for any and all suggestions before I spend endless frustrating hours shooting in the dark. Thanks.

Re: Lake Controller on Macbook with VMware

I had a similar issue with the mouse cursor leaving a trail of images on the screen....is that what you are experiencing. I was running VMWare/XP on a MacBook Pro.
I solved the issue by doing the following:
In XP, go to "Start" - "Control Panels".
Double click "Display"
Click the "Settings" tab.
Click the "Advanced" box in the bottom right of the window.
Click the "Troubleshoot" tab.
Position the "Hardware acceleration" slider one position to the right of "None", the description will say "Disable all but basic accelerations. Use this setting to correct more severe problems."
Click the "Apply" box in the bottom right of the window.
Click "OK" in the next two windows that appear.
Relaunch the Lake Controller software.
That fixed it for me.
Good luck.

Steve-

You are the man. Thanks a million. Looks Like Caroll Shelby was right in this. "Too much power is just right" Thanks again.

I had a similar issue with the mouse cursor leaving a trail of images on the screen....is that what you are experiencing. I was running VMWare/XP on a MacBook Pro.
Double click "Display"
Position the "Hardware acceleration" slider one position to the right of "None", the description will say "Disable all but basic accelerations. Use this setting to correct more severe problems."
That fixed it for me.
Good luck.

Not sure it does the same, haven't tired it on the windows side, but in VM fusionware, you can disable the 3d acceleration, then it also works.
mvh
Rasmus

Not sure it does the same, haven't tired it on the windows side, but in VM fusionware, you can disable the 3d acceleration, then it also works.
mvh
Rasmus

Hi Rasmus,
You got my curiosity up with your suggestion of a simpler solution - simpler is always better! I tried your solution. Here is what I found on my setup (Early 2011 Macbook Pro,2ghz I7 Processor, 8 gigs ram, VM Fusion, Windows XP). Turning off 3D acceleration in VM Fusion allowed me to advance the graphics acceleration in XP one notch further than what I suggested in my post. Anything past that in Windows XP settings produced severe screen flickering in the Lake control software. The mouse trailing issue is gone, but the screen flickering is not tolerable.

Hi Rasmus,
You got my curiosity up with your suggestion of a simpler solution - simpler is always better! I tried your solution. Here is what I found on my setup (Early 2011 Macbook Pro,2ghz I7 Processor, 8 gigs ram, VM Fusion, Windows XP). Turning off 3D acceleration in VM Fusion allowed me to advance the graphics acceleration in XP one notch further than what I suggested in my post. Anything past that in Windows XP settings produced severe screen flickering in the Lake control software. The mouse trailing issue is gone, but the screen flickering is not tolerable.

hmm no your correct to stop the flickering you have to change the display settings. I have been on parallels for a while so my mistake. And it seems your trick seems to help performance on that too... cool :)

Double click "Display"
That fixed it for me.
Good luck.

Fixed it for me too. Thanks!