Lake LM26 replacement

Jan 19, 2011
Oslo, Norway, Norway
drbentsen.no
Need to replace a Lake LM26 in a low-noise environment with high demands for sound quality. It performs flawlessly today except for one major issue, it has too much fan noise. Sadly moving the unit to a different location or sound-proofing it is not an option.

Considering a BSS Blu-50. It's passive cooled and fits perfectly, but I've never used one in such a setting.

Anybody care to comment on any (if there are) sound quality differences between them?

I basically need three bands of EQ+low-cut for subs and a linear phase XO between subs and mains.

Edit: This should probably been posted in the install section. Feel free to move it if you wish.

Need to replace a Lake LM26 in a low-noise environment with high demands for sound quality. It performs flawlessly today except for one major issue, it has too much fan noise. Sadly moving the unit to a different location or sound-proofing it is not an option.

Considering a BSS Blu-50. It's passive cooled and fits perfectly, but I've never used one in such a setting.

Anybody care to comment on any (if there are) sound quality differences between them?

I basically need three bands of EQ+low-cut for subs and a linear phase XO between subs and mains.

Edit: This should probably been posted in the install section. Feel free to move it if you wish.
Assuming the fan noise isn't a recent development (as in "fix the fan") my go-to for signal quality has always been Symetrix "Symnet" processors – the Prism processors are available in a wide variety of input/output configs and their audio quality is second to none. I use them as high-end studio control room monitor processing where "the quest for the Final dB" is paramount.

Do You have any extra rack unit space available above the Lake? I've installed two flat 80mm super silent computer fans on top of chassis of 1U video switching unit to replace the high rpm and noisy internal 40mm fans. Just count the air flow values from the fan datasheets....Of course this could affect negatively on the re-sale value of the unit, depending the buyers preferences.

Best Regards, Antti
BMDfans.jpg