Last nights gig.

Cole Lofink

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
NJ/NC
www.sonuspro.com
So lets just say, last nights gig was interesting. It was my first bar gig in quite awhile. Usually I really enjoy these kind of gigs but this one...was quite an experience.

My company is now working with an up and coming artist, I am the BE unless I have another gig, and then our intern becomes BE. We are carrying a FOH console, mic package, cables and some stands. So we get to the venue start unloading, and there is no house crew there yet. This is a SMALL venue and I figure ok, these guys aren't use to having production come in with the artist and probably show up 30 minutes before the first band plays, no big deal.

So I talk to the manager/ owner of the place. I ask ''when is the crew going to get here'', he responds '' oh, I though you guys had everything covered''. Long story short, he thinks were now responsible for the whole show (3 bands).

Moral of the story.....Band no longer forwards shows.

Re: Last nights gig.

The ''learning curve'' for some bar and club owners just starting out presenting music can be very steep.

I think many headline bands in the same circumstance might not have been as gentle and polite as it appears you were.

Was there a house FOH rig and monitors of any sort or were you expected to bring those as well?

Re: Last nights gig.

I have run into the same thing a number of times in smaller places. I advance the show for my band, and then find out the owner/manager gave their person the night off. One time a manager refered another band to me well before the show date.

The scary thing is when I found myself agreeing to do the opener if only to have control of the settings I made for my band. A common characteristic of these shows was a small board with limited channels.

Another awkward one sharing channels was my a split set show with my band first with my settings, followed by house doing the second band, followed by me restting for our second set, followed by other band asking that I do their last set.