LED Beam Blending

Art Welter

Senior
Jan 11, 2011
Florida
I purchased nine Opti RGB LED fixtures, really like the colors, low (like no) heat, fairly high output. 24 one watt LEDs per fixture.

When used upstage, seeing the individual LEDs is kind of distracting.

I have used diffusion gel to spread the beams and blend them a bit, but it of course lowers the intensity quite a bit, and it still looks like 24 lights instead of one unless you are pretty far away.

Have any of you tried other alternatives to integrate the beams, like a Fresnel lens ?

Re: LED Beam Blending

Craig Leerman had a post in the lighting forum on some experiments he did a couple of years ago using a Source Four Fresnel lens on a NLS conversion kit on PARs and I think I remember it working pretty well.

Hi Rob-

I recall that as well. I'm not a lighting guy, but I vaguely remember that at least one manufacturer is offering LED fixtures with optical lenses. I think optics shouldn't be a problem, they can be made from polycarbonate or some other plastic since heat is no longer an issue.

Tim ''will watch this thread'' Mc

Craig Leerman had a post in the lighting forum on some experiments he did a couple of years ago using a Source Four Fresnel lens on a NLS conversion kit on PARs and I think I remember it working pretty well.

Hi Rob-

I recall that as well. I'm not a lighting guy, but I vaguely remember that at least one manufacturer is offering LED fixtures with optical lenses. I think optics shouldn't be a problem, they can be made from polycarbonate or some other plastic since heat is no longer an issue.

Tim ''will watch this thread'' Mc

What lighting forum
icon_razz.gif
.?

Art Welter

Another option worth looking into is tri-LED chips. These have the three RGB emitters with one common lens. So when you are showing purple, it actually looks purple rather than red and blue when you look directly at the fixture.

Of course, you still have the problem that there are lots of individual points of light - it's not going to look like a standard incandescent parcan with gel. But if all the points of light are the same colour it's a lot less distracting.

Since you are looking for a relatively wide beam when using these fixtures on the upstage truss, you may have some luck putting the diffusion (or other beam spreader, such as a prismatic lens sheet) beyond the mixing distance of the fixture, so that mixed colors hit it.

Some background, shamelessly copied from a previous post of mine on another forum:

LEDs, unlike virtually all other light sources, emit relatively narrow-spectrum light (white LEDs get a broader spectrum by adding a phosphor). This allows for additive color mixing, instead of subtractive color mixing (color filters). For this additive mixing to occur within the fixture (and not in the space between the fixture and the object it is illuminating), either the output from all the LED channels needs to be mixed in some flavor of optical train, of the LEDs need to be packed close enough together so as to be perceived as a single source by the human eye. This last approach is a function of both the LED spacing and the viewing distance.

Mixing multiple color channels within an optical train isn't that difficult - it's done in 3-chip projectors all the time. The problem is that it's bulky, complex, and not horribly efficient. Very few fixtures are using this approach (I know of 2, both from the same manufacturer). Putting a diffuser some distance in front of the fixture is an example of this.

Getting the sources close together is the simpler approach, but it has its own collection of problems. First is that you need an LED package that has multiple color channels in the same package. Second, packing more LEDs (and thus more power) into a smaller area, the thermal management problem becomes more complex. Third, getting consistent color becomes more difficult because you can no longer bin each color individually - your package has multiple color channels, each with their own binning. So you've gone from x bins per LED to x^n bins, where n is the number of color channels. And then there's the sourcing issue. Not all LED vendors make multichannel packages, and those that do aren't putting their latest technology into those packages. The available multichannel packages are all a generation behind cutting edge (at least). Multicolor packages also have a larger emitting area, often with different optical centers for each color. This makes getting narrow beams difficult, if not impossible, at least if you don't want significant beam artifacts. The Elation fixtures [Elation OPTI TRI 30] listed are using a tri-LED, which puts 3 colors of LED in a single package, complete with all the associated drawbacks.

That said, colormixing within the fixture not only eliminates the ''Lite Brite'' look, but also helps to eliminate the multicolored shadows you get from LEDs that are spaced out. There are also advantages to spacing out the LEDs, instead of combining them all into a single source. Higher brightness, higher efficiency, and passive thermal management are all advantages of using multiple single-color LEDs.

The information I have on the Elation fixture comes directly from Elation's datasheet http://www.elationlighting.com/pdffiles/opti-tri30-cutsheet.pdf

There are some photos on page 2 of that datasheet that show the front of the fixture when it is mixing between 2 colors. Of interest is the photo where the fixture is producing magenta, and you can clearly see that the red and blue beams don't overlap perfectly. This issue is an artifact of the narrow optics and the fact that a tri-LED has a different optical center for each color. [LED optics are typically imaging optics]

''Binning'' is a way of quantifying the inherent variation between LEDs as they come off of a production line. Every manufacturer does things a bit differently, but a google search for ''LED binning'' turns up some useful info

And in the interests of full disclosure, I work for Philips Color Kinetics, a manufacturer of LED lighting fixtures.

I have used S4 PAR lenses with Elation Opti-Tri PARs and another LED PAR (I could look through my notes and figure out the make/model). With a bit of fiddling it is isn't too hard to make a bracket for the gel frame slot to hold the lens and they work pretty well. I know that others have done similar things.

With a bit of fiddling it is isn't too hard to make a bracket for the gel frame slot to hold the lens and they work pretty well. I know that others have done similar things.

Sounds interesting!

A while ago I got a whole pile of S4 lenses (as part of a job lot from a company that closed down) Somewhat annoyingly, I have only recently concluded eBaying them (since we don't own any multipars)

How does this arrangement hold up to gigging? Do you keep the lenses in or remove them for transit?

How does this arrangement hold up to gigging? Do you keep the lenses in or remove them for transit?

I do theatre lighting so I can't really answers these questions. I think it would really depend on how bomber the brackets you built are and how you want to transport the fixture. With the brackets I used, the lens is in front of the gel frame holder so you couldn't case the fixtures barrel-down without damaging stuff. It might be possible to build a bracket which doesn't present that issue and then you could leave them in.