lighting software and laptop size

John McLeod

Freshman
Sep 9, 2015
Light factory for $700...not local

Probably Chauvet for $400....This is available locally and they will help me for a couple hours

Asus laptop is what im looking at so we can use it at home also..8gig..1terabite..about $700..
Not sure what else I need router wise etc..

Or ??

My other guy wants to go sstrictly ipad..

Any help would be appreciated. .

Re: lighting software and laptop size

Check out MagicQ. I've had good luck with that on my old Lenovo tablet pc, using an Enttec ODE for ARTnet-DMX.

For small gigs a good touch screen gets the job done. For larger shows, Chamsys makes a variety of PC wings. Show files will run on their high-end consoles as well.

For iPad, Luminaire works well enough. The problem with Luminaire and LJ is that you need time to program everything in advance, so they aren't always conducive to a walk-in gig.

Check out the Martin M-PC software. Software is free, a 2 universe USB DMX dongle is $200, and the M-Touch surface (very cool), is about $500.

I have recently been a fan of Enlighten by Mega Systems, you can add a control wing or run it stand alone. Runs about $600 for the dongle, you can download the software from their website.

Picked up a ent tec USB pro..
Anyone use...used this one ??
20160119_135443.jpg

Im looking into a nice little laptop and i pad... (x32 on the way)

Picked up a ent tec USB pro..
Anyone use...used this one ??
View attachment 14001

Im looking into a nice little laptop and i pad... (x32 on the way)

That's just an interface, you still need software to go with it. The free utilities from Enttec are a useful troubleshooting tool, but not anything I'd want to run a show with.

Ok
Got a Acer laptop
Windows 8
8gig
1 terabyte ram

Enttec says download Martin software
Only 1 universe but for now is enough

I would not use my home computer for gigs - too much scope for loss of data. Find a local shop that specializes in used machines, or get a name brand unit at Walmart for under $200.

I'm big on refubished Lenovo ThinkPads. Rakuten.com and Newegg.com tend to have them on sale in cycles. A refurb T410 or T420 with Win 7 Pro, i5 quad core, 250mb - 500mb HD, 4 GB RAM sell for around $250.

There are similar savings on Dell. I'd suggest Dell Business for more recent models (rather than Dell Finance, which tends to have older stuff).