Losing weight.

Mike Diack

Sophomore
Jan 12, 2011
New Zealand
As I get more ancient, my ability to chuck my 4825 clones up on poles is definitely abating. Weightloss program called for (me and the speakers
🙂
). The 2204s will become Deltalite 2512s, but what to do about the horn drivers -2425s - heavy little suckers and I've just never liked the 2414s so common in all the Eons etc. Leaning towards the Celestion CDX1-1730s as found in the QSC K-boxes which sound decent and don't seem to blow up like the 2414s. Any other suggestions?.
M

SRX712s are 33 pounds and even my 70 year old frame can get them on top of a USS stand. They show up pretty routinely on Ebay.
Totally agree about the 712s - I have 8 of them and they are superb - wish they would breed :) . Just trying to find a use for the 4825 cabs taking up space in my workshop. 712s never show up on NZ auction sites and freight cost US->NZ is beyond insane these days so Ebay offerings are out

Ah NZ, missed that detail. I've become a big fan of B&C drivers since Bennet introduced me to their 14" coax. That said I still have a pair of 4828s as my home stereo and the things that make that 100 x 100 horn great for a living room make it a fairly limited use horn for live work. I've also discovered the fairly rabid vintage JBL fans on the web. You may find that you can flip the original JBL drivers and horns and make enough for a complete refurb or even new boxes entirely. Do your boxes have passive crossovers?

Last edited:
I second Riley's question about crossovers - if passive, you'll need to either pick a CD with identical characteristics to the ones you're replacing, or be prepared to rework the XO's.
That is a lot easier if you're biamping with DSP of course, as each change is just a turn of a control knob/push of a button rather than desoldering a component and soldering in a new one.

For super lightweight, B&C's new(ish) DE111 looks almost too good to be true - half the weight of that Celestion, and apparently able to crossover nearly an octave lower, though won't go as loud. I should note that I haven't used one yet though, so I'm taking the spec sheet at face value so far.

HTH,
David.

I realise that the 100x100 horn has its limitations in most live situations but this is for a rather odd application - a circle stage with LR pairs at 120 degree vertices of the bounding triangle. Have done it with 712s in the past but I suspect the 4825s would do well (and the 712s are needed elsewhere).circlestg.jpg