Lycra/spandex backdrop

BJ James

Junior
Jan 11, 2011
I'm thinking I like this look- the stretchy spandex stuff that looks good with some LED uplighting.

Where is a good source to buy this. Yes, I googled, but just curious where you guys are finding the best deals on this stuff.

Cheers,

BJ

Re: Lycra/spandex backdrop

Marlow - they (some states) don't even require closed back distros / electrical. What makes you think fabric fire retardant treatment is an issue
icon_lol.gif

This is said from jealousy my friends... if I had the money and time back from having to ''child proof'' my rig from people who will never set foot ''behind the curtain'' (who shouldn't be there), I would own a milo rig by now.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Re: Lycra/spandex backdrop

Marlow - they (some states) don't even require closed back distros / electrical. What makes you think fabric fire retardant treatment is an issue
icon_lol.gif

This is said from jealousy my friends... if I had the money and time back from having to ''child proof'' my rig from people who will never set foot ''behind the curtain'' (who shouldn't be there), I would own a milo rig by now.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Shane, I know what you mean, but I think every state has 'Assembly Occupancy' rules governing fire retardancy of decorations and theatrical scenery. I do most of my work in Quebec which is the wild west as far as inspections are concerned, but I also do a lot of work within universities which tend to have their own (effective) safety measures.

I agree they don't often pay attention to AC (let alone SJ vs SO, or closed back, etc) but I've been asked to show the sewn-in certificate on my humble backdrop before.

Bradford (or BJ, if you prefer),

If you find a good Canadian supplier, do share. I would start calling local production companies myself or look up theatrical supplies. You might also be looking for ''stretch fabric'' and not spandex, as spandex is inherently unsafe and resistant to long term topical treatment (but the name is still used by some to describe some similar (and safe) fabrics).