MacBook Pro - which screen?

Re: MacBook Pro - which screen?

I have a 2009 17" anti-glare. If you use it in a completely dark room 100% of the time, the glossy has better contrast. I you ever use it outside or any room with windows or wall/table lighting, the antiglare is better.

I have the 15" with high res anti glare screen. The only downside is the high res. It is cool in the computer industry to keep making screens with more and more pixels, but no one has ever changed the number of pixels in a given type size. Everything on my 1680x1050 screen is really small and hard to read. Some software lets you increase the size, but the default is always tiny, and some areas of the screen, like the toolbar can't be changed without faking the screen with a different resolution, which makes fuzzy edges.

I would still go with the anti glare, but be aware of the tiny type. And it is not much more readable in sunlight than any other screen, but much better in a dark room with a light behind you.

Mac

Rob,
I have the one you're looking at. It's perfect for my applications. Font is changed in an instant. Grab the touch pad w/ thumb and pointer and spread them top to bottom. Instant.

go for it!

Steve

I own a couple of the glossy screen models and that's also what I purchase for my test machines at work. The picture is beautiful, better than any other displays I've seen even on more expensive machines. That said, I rarely use them outdoors, so the anti-glare version may be better as others have said if outdoors is something you do on a regular basis.

As an aside, if you don't mind the cost and smaller capacity, the MBPs with the SDD drives are super fast both for booting and disk access in general. My main Thunderbolt test machine at my day job is an i7 quad core 2.3 GHz with a SSD and it's by far one of the fastest machines I've ever used, period. Of course, I didn't have to pay for it ;)

Greg

I own a couple of the glossy screen models and that's also what I purchase for my test machines at work. The picture is beautiful, better than any other displays I've seen even on more expensive machines. That said, I rarely use them outdoors, so the anti-glare version may be better as others have said if outdoors is something you do on a regular basis.

We have several, including the glossy 17" i7. I've got a black Macbook in mon beach for my portable and out front they have a 17" Core 2 Duo for the portable. We've stopping at the Apple store in a bit. I've been looking at either an 11" Air or a 13" i5 MBP to replace my 7 year old Powerbook G4 at home that gets used only for couch surfing.

I have the 15" with high res anti glare screen. The only downside is the high res. It is cool in the computer industry to keep making screens with more and more pixels, but no one has ever changed the number of pixels in a given type size. Everything on my 1680x1050 screen is really small and hard to read. Some software lets you increase the size, but the default is always tiny, and some areas of the screen, like the toolbar can't be changed without faking the screen with a different resolution, which makes fuzzy edges.

I would still go with the anti glare, but be aware of the tiny type. And it is not much more readable in sunlight than any other screen, but much better in a dark room with a light behind you.

Mac

I have a late 2010 model with the same screen, and would echo the above comments.

The resolution is great for a lot of things, but it does make the text quite small when on a 15" screen. The 17" will be about the same with that res.

Another thing about the panels these days is they are LED backlit - when I compare my new screen to my 2007 macbook it makes that seem yellow, dull and full of glare.

Gareth

We have several, including the glossy 17" i7. I've got a black Macbook in mon beach for my portable and out front they have a 17" Core 2 Duo for the portable. We've stopping at the Apple store in a bit. I've been looking at either an 11" Air or a 13" i5 MBP to replace my 7 year old Powerbook G4 at home that gets used only for couch surfing.

My assistant has the 11" Air for similar purposes. It's pretty slick.

My assistant has the 11" Air for similar purposes. It's pretty slick.

The only drawback for me is the SSD size, even with 128GB. I'd want a Bootcamp Win7, or at least a Parallels for the race car software and still have enough space for Office and some CueStation software. At that point the 13" Air looks pretty good. They've got 13" i5s refurbed at Apple for $1019. No new gen refurbed Airs yet but MacMall has them at $50 off, no tax, free shipping on most all models.

? Is Nevada a no-sales tax state?

Not when it's shipped from California from a company that doesn't have a presence here. Apple charges tax because they have stores in NV. In Vegas there are 3 Apple Stores, all on the same street. Two within a mile of each other, the third a couple miles further south. And they are all packed.

Not when it's shipped from California from a company that doesn't have a presence here. Apple charges tax because they have stores in NV. In Vegas there are 3 Apple Stores, all on the same street. Two within a mile of each other, the third a couple miles further south. And they are all packed.

A lot of people I know have brought home Apple products from vacation in the US. The products are cheaper and come out a lot sooner. Part of what makes Apple products make perfect vacation buys: The're neat and sexy, yet still useful enough that anyone has an alibi to buy them. I'd think Vegas is the perfect place to have a bunch of Apple stores. Wouldn't surprise me if at least one was open 24 hours a day...