Mackie HD1531 & HD1801

Re: Up in smoke!

Hi Jeff-

This issue here, though, is for the level of gig a Mackie HD rig will go to, should we need to send a spare 1531 and 1801 to each gig, i.e. a spare for each 2 or 4 units?

Hi Tim,
Typically if I'm sending out the little Mackie rig on its own, I don't send spare subs, but do send a 3rd top. That 3rd top serves as a drum fill. If one of the FOH cabs goes south, the drum fill replaces it and the drummer gets a regular wedge. That's typically enough backup, and the HD1531 actually makes a nice drum fill to be worth taking anyway.

Works well enough for the types of shows that get these boxes. Despite what appears to be a less than stellar track record for reliability so far, I still really quite like the HD series boxes, they really do sound much more expensive than the price tag would indicate and I've had very good results and more compliments on that little rig than any other "prosumer" SOS-level rig I have worked with.

Tim, why do you guys have a system DSP if you're running all I-Techs?

Because our rigs can get any amp rack in any position, a System Architect Venue file is not a 'static' thing. For aligning subs within a sub array, I use the I-Tech processing, same with intra-hang EQ, delay and levels for the tops, but to align the entire hang to the subs, the front fills to backline, EQ the side hangs, etc., I use a system DSP. This also allows me to give a BE much control of things he might want to change and keeps him out of the stuff he shouldn't be in.

The Lab Gruppens used by Clair have Lake processing inside, but Clair still uses Dolby Lake Processors to control and integrate the major subsystems that comprise the total rig. In theory they could use the amp processing, *I suppose*, but choose a more convenient tool for the SE/BE to do their jobs with.

YMMV.

Tim Mc

Because our rigs can get any amp rack in any position, a System Architect Venue file is not a 'static' thing. For aligning subs within a sub array, I use the I-Tech processing, same with intra-hang EQ, delay and levels for the tops, but to align the entire hang to the subs, the front fills to backline, EQ the side hangs, etc., I use a system DSP. This also allows me to give a BE much control of things he might want to change and keeps him out of the stuff he shouldn't be in.

The Lab Gruppens used by Clair have Lake processing inside, but Clair still uses Dolby Lake Processors to control and integrate the major subsystems that comprise the total rig. In theory they could use the amp processing, *I suppose*, but choose a more convenient tool for the SE/BE to do their jobs with.

YMMV.

Tim Mc

All very true. Are you running AES from your probable DR4800s to the Itechs? I'm not a fan of AD/DA stages and the associated analog gain structure.

I'm not deploying any huge rigs, but I'd use custom control panels on groups of Itechs to accomplish the same thing as the system DSP would. You could even assign a separate laptop for the BE with dedicated EQ in System Architect, along with user permissions so he can't mess anything else up... System Architect is quite powerful. Only thing the DR can do that the Itechs can't is the graphic EQ. (Of course there's the AFS, subharmonic whatever, etc, but no one actually uses those!).

Again, YMMV...

YMMV.

Tim Mc

Though, this setup is becoming a lot less common now. With the endless processing available in the Lake software, the DLP's are being used less and less. Most of the time, you'll only see them out front if the BE requests it.

Evan

The HD1531's have been my main tops since 2008. I've since had them back to the repair shop 7 or 8 times, for all different issues. From what I can tell, Mackie's speaker overload protection doesn't do anything but blink a yellow light to let you know your speakers are about to blow if you don't chill out.

The main thing to remember with these, is don't push them. At all. They sound amazing when you do, but you will go through HF drivers and LF drivers over and over. Haven't really had any issue with the Amps, but then again, I haven't even pushed mine THAT hard. Aside from that, these speakers are the best sounding tops I've ever heard in this price range, especially when you cut below 100hz.

These days, there really is no excuse for a fully processed self powered box to blow up like that. IIRC, these are touted has having full protection including rms, peak, and over excursion limiting. Yet I'm constantly reading about failures in the field. Even worse, a fair amount seem to die just turning them on. I've got some 10+ year old SR1530s that have really been hammered and they're still going strong, save for one compression driver that started loosing some output. But I've never blown a driver or even thermalled them driving them into limiting. I don't care how good speaker sounds. If it won't hold up with even moderate use, I ain't buying it.

Greg

Good news on Mackie's end... It seems as if they've gotten their shit figured out with these boxes. I sent both amp modules back 3 months ago to undergo a warranty repair and they've been solid since. Mackie said they knew of all the issues, and they seem to have them all sorted out now. I've beaten on them pretty hard lately, and they've kept going strong. I'm back to being happy with them again. ...At least for now. :)

Evan

Re: Mackie HD1531 & HD1801

The club I spin at has a couple of clustered new HD1801's upstairs. After a month of spinning on them, one unit failed me this past Saturday. It powers on and I can see the peak light indicator flicker if the volume is turned up but no sound. I hope I don't have to deal with months waiting on a repair...

Much like previous posters, I have had great luck with older mackie gear including CFX mixers, a fleet of 450's and a pair of older 1530s like Greg that I beat the heck out of and NEVER had a problem. Then, I got a pair of hd1531s. In less than a year I replaced 2 HF compression drivers, repaired amp thermal protection problem and had two woofers fail. As far as carrying extra parts as mentioned earlier, I do carry an extra HF diaphragm (proudly marked "made in Thailand" on it) mainly due the fact that I can replace it in under 15 mins and costs less than $40. I also keep an extra srm450 with me incase I have total speaker failure. Seeing as how I tried unsuccessfully to sell my HD1531s and stuck with them, I decided to replace the factory woofer with eminence Kappa pro 15lf-2 speakers. I understand that its not a good Idea to change components on matched active systems like these that are designed to work together, but I really had no choice. Im willing to sacrifice some performance for reliability. The OEM woofers are around $200 and are on back order till God knows when and Im not gonna risk another mid show break down and another $200 on a speaker that is prone to failure. The Kappa pro is rated at 600w, 1200 peak and is built like a tank so should hold up. Its also designed more as a low range than a mid range speaker with The Kappa's upper usable frequency cutting off around 2000hz, but considering the HD1531 lower crossover point is 400hz, I figured I'd experiment and hope this speaker would compliment better than a full range woofer and get lower bottom end. After one show with the eminence replacements, Im happy with the sound. Only other speaker option in this price range is the black widow which has impressive specs, features and reviews, however, I just couldnt bring myself to put Peavey components in a mackie/EAW box!! Ill report back with any updates...

Updating this again...

The HD1531's have been rock solid lately. They've been out working almost every weekend this year and have gotten beat on pretty hard some nights. Mackie seems to have the issues sorted out, and I am very happy with these cabs. Aside from too much 250hz in them, they really sound good and hold together at high SPL.

I did a gig a few weeks ago, promoter told me 200 people in a small ballroom. Showed up, and they had the whole ballroom opened up- sold every table. Over 500 people in attendance, and all I had was the 2 HD1531's and a pair of subs. 102dBA average on the dance floor, and lower 90's in the back of the room. I was impressed. Granted, if this was a full on rock show I'd be SOL, but since it was just a cover band at a bull roast, they got the job done.

I'm buying another pair. For powered 3 way speakers under $1500, nothing touches them. As long as they keep working, Mackie has really made a home run with this one.

Gig pics(of course):
attachment.php

attachment.php

Evan

Attachments

• HD1531.jpg
    HD1531.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 3
  • HD1531-2.jpg
    HD1531-2.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Hey Evan,

So does it sound like all the new Mackie HD speakers sold should be back up to par from what one would expect from a pro speaker?

Also how is the output one could expect compared to the QRx212's you ran for a while?

Thanks,
Phil

Hi Phil,
They will outrun any other MI speaker, that's for sure. It depends what "pro" speaker you want to compare it to. They are definitely better then a U15P and QSC KW.

As far as Qrx vs. Mackie- A properly powered, biamped qrx212 will outrun the Mackie. It's got a little more beef to it, better HF and a little more overall output. But, a Qrx package will cost a good bit more then the Mackies.

Evan

Just updating this again... The HD1531's have been holding up great. They've done about 50 gigs this year, and have been rock solid. Anything from small bar gigs, weddings and larger outdoor shows, they've been rock solid. My only complaint with these boxes is when you use them outdoors. The HF drops off after about 70'. The boxes could use a little more HF power, but that's just me getting nit picky. For an $1100 powered box, nothing touches them. These guys are being retired to my B-rig now, but I'm sure they will continue seeing many shows!

Attachments

• mackierig.jpg
    mackierig.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 2
  • mackierig4.jpg
    mackierig4.jpg
    567.4 KB · Views: 2
  • wedding.jpg
    wedding.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 3
  • mackierig5.jpg
    mackierig5.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 3

Evan;

I see your thinking of getting another set. Have you ever tried 2 tight packed to see how well they combine? If not what kind of space in front between them is required to get the best summation?

Thanks;
Douglas R. Allen

Evan;

I see your thinking of getting another set. Have you ever tried 2 tight packed to see how well they combine? If not what kind of space in front between them is required to get the best summation?

Thanks;
Douglas R. Allen

Hey Douglas,
I decided to not get a second pair, at least for now. I ended up purchasing a larger trap rig, which will be used for my larger shows.

I will try 2 side by side in the shop sometime to see how it is, but I'm not expecting much since they're 90 degree boxes.

Evan