Mackie ProFX8 USB noise

Alex Andreyev

Freshman
Apr 18, 2014
I have a problem with my mixer.

I've bought a new condenser mic to record acoustic guitar - AKG Perception 170. I was about to test it but noticed that there was annoying noise. Firstly I thought it came from the mic, but then I disconnected the mic and muted all the channels and started recording. There was a noise for like ~ -52 db.

So I think the problem is with USB connection of mixer and my laptop.

So, my question is: is it supposed to be like that? I mean the level of noise. Because when I record a guitar, I can't get a clear sound that I want to and the sound the mic can give me. I there any way to fix this?

Thanks.

Re: Mackie ProFX8 USB noise

I'm not sure if that's the problem you're experiencing although it does sound like it. When I did my thorough research before I bought my small format mixer, I quickly found that the only small format mixer that has a properly functioning USB connection is the A&H ZED series. Unfortunately all the rest have the noise you're experiencing or are of low build quality.

Last edited:

The Mackie USB mixer "whine" is a long running complaint. I thought they had addressed it on later runs of that mixer. But maybe not. You've basically got 2 choices to solve the problem: 1) don't use the USB interface or 2) get rid of the mixer and get something else. The A&H Zeds don't have that problem with their USB mixers.

I'll try it with the laptop power supply unplugged later.

I wrote a message to the technical support, they replied me that the noise for ~-52 db was a generated self-noise. And you can't do anything because it's an analogue audio. I understand that but this noise interferes with the recording. I can't get a clear sound of acoustic guitar with it.

I'll try to do the best to get the best sound.

Thanks guys for answering. Will write later if there'll be some changes.