Measurement Rig

Tom Hester

Freshman
Jan 11, 2011
Southern California
So what is the haps with Smaart rigs these days? I know it used to be a M30 and USBpre was the way to go. Looking to make a few purchases for very simple measurements/alignments. I already own a Macbook Pro 2.53 with 4g of ram.

Smaart 7 the way to go? or should I go with a older version? (if possible)

Thanks

Tom

Re: Measurement Rig

Smaart 7 is my preference, much faster and easier to use, plus higher resolution MTW measuring.

I have a $800 mic, and I have a $100 mic. Guess which one goes on the stand in the middle of the dusty shed?

I prefer MOTU's Ultralite and Traveler for interfaces. Digitally recallable preamp gain.

Once you go multichannel, you never go back!

My current test configuration:

MacBook Pro 17'' 2.8 GHz, 8GB Ram

Smaart 7

Roland Octa-Capture (a great 8 mic pre interface)

6 Smaart RTA-420 (considering upgrading to Audix TM-1)

1 Earthworks M30

1 Quest CA-22 Calibrator with custom mic adapters from Harry

1 Neutrik MR-1 Signal Generator

1 iPod Classic with a bunch of wav file music test tracks

1 iPhone with AudioTools & iAudioInterface, and of course Angry Birds app while waiting for the lampies to get their stuff done so I can tune the system!

So what is the haps with Smaart rigs these days? I know it used to be a M30 and USBpre was the way to go. Looking to make a few purchases for very simple measurements/alignments. I already own a Macbook Pro 2.53 with 4g of ram.

Smaart 7 the way to go? or should I go with a older version? (if possible)

Thanks

Tom

I am running Smaart 7 and Systune with a MOTU 8 pre and 8 Earthworks M23 mics and Windows. I have a measurement cart that contains all my mic cable reels and mic stands and provides a work table.

I also use the Audio Toolbox polarity tests as a pulse generator for listening to arrival times.

Wave files for final listening.

Once you go multichannel, you never go back!

My current test configuration:

MacBook Pro 17'' 2.8 GHz, 8GB Ram

Smaart 7

Roland Octa-Capture (a great 8 mic pre interface)

6 Smaart RTA-420 (considering upgrading to Audix TM-1)

1 Earthworks M30

1 Quest CA-22 Calibrator with custom mic adapters from Harry

1 Neutrik MR-1 Signal Generator

1 iPod Classic with a bunch of wav file music test tracks

1 iPhone with AudioTools & iAudioInterface, and of course Angry Birds app while waiting for the lampies to get their stuff done so I can tune the system!

I suggest some variation of Arthur's recommendations. Smaart 7 is the best version of Smaart for many reasons, the main one being it's multichannel.

Focusrite Saffire Pro40

4 - 6 Apex220 mics. Upgrade to TM-1 or Beyerdynamic MM1.

1 - TM-1 or Beyer MM1. Upgrade to SoundFirst101

Grant

Hey

I'm running,

Smaart 7

Edirol UA101 (for dual channel)

or RME Fireface 800 (multi channel)

Mic wise have the Earthworks s30 and a Behringer Measurement mic. (traces were the same for both but the earthworks was 6db hotter.) so tend to use the Behringer in the field.

I found running direct in to the Edirol with the earthworks was very hot to the point that when the gain was right down on both the measurement and the reference I was still clipping the inputs when run at show level. for running show level stuff I got a couple of inline pads that pass phantom put it in on both the measurement and reference to effect both the same. this put them in a controllable area of the sound card input. (anyone got any reason why this isn't a good thing? would love to hear from you) It does the trick for what I'm using it for.

I found running direct in to the Edirol with the earthworks was very hot to the point that when the gain was right down on both the measurement and the reference I was still clipping the inputs when run at show level. for running show level stuff I got a couple of inline pads that pass phantom put it in on both the measurement and reference to effect both the same. this put them in a controllable area of the sound card input. (anyone got any reason why this isn't a good thing? would love to hear from you) It does the trick for what I'm using it for.

As long as it doesn't alter the frequency response, I see no problem with putting a pad on the mic input.

Smaart 7, SysTune and EASERA

Two Earthworks M30 and one Sound First SF111 (Type 1) Mics

EASERA Gateway (modified PreSonus FireBox)

Cirrus CR:511E Calibrator

Sencore SP395

Dayton Audio WT3

IPod with sweeps, dry signals, word tests, music, etc.

Zoom H4 Recorder

Just out of curiosity. Is it possible to purchase an older version? I tried looking online, but all I found were illegal downloads, and I am not into that. If i need to, I will buy 7, but its hard to justify $900 for very simple measurements. (I know, I know, you get what you pay for) I'm not typically the guy cheaping out, but being newly married, I have to justify expenses to ''the boss''.
icon_smile.gif

Thanks Guys.

Just out of curiosity. Is it possible to purchase an older version? I tried looking online, but all I found were illegal downloads, and I am not into that. If i need to, I will buy 7, but its hard to justify $900 for very simple measurements. (I know, I know, you get what you pay for) I'm not typically the guy cheaping out, but being newly married, I have to justify expenses to ''the boss''.
icon_smile.gif

Thanks Guys.

S7 is a real deal ... $900 ? ... It'll only hurt for a week .... later on you'll prove to be more solid than ever before ... in your system setups, of course
icon_wink.gif

<font size="1">trust me, I know</font> !!

I remember buying my first copy of Smaart when I started out on my own 10 years ago. Yes it hurt when combined with the cost of the USBPre and Earthworks M30, but I recouped that cost in added income within a few months.

Has anybody used the DPA 4090 mics for measurement?

I'm curious about this too. Bob McCarthy had this to say about them on PSW:

Quote: said:
The reason I stated that I would have gone with ( and may at some in the future go with) the low cost DPA's is more relational, than purely technical. I have used Bruel & Kjaer (and now DPA) mics so much over the years and been let down so few times..........so few that I can hardly think of even once. I think of them as digital mics - 1 or 0 - working perfectly or dead (and this is usually easy to spot with the crushed head.)

I just have so much confidence in their mics that I would feel confident relying on them - and inevitably we RELY on mics. But, all that said - i have very little experience directly with the 4090 mics, so the book is still open.