Mic dilemma: Hi-Hats & Overheads with C451B & SM81

Here is my dilemma, I have 2 AKG C451 and 2 Shure SM81 and I need to put up a pair of stereo mics for Overheads on the drums and a mic on the HiHats as well. Also, the drummer is behind a 5’ tall shield.

Which mics would you use as Overheads?

On normal/mid size gigs, I can get away with 1 AKG C451 above the drums and the other C451 on Hats. I am borrowing the SM81s from the other mic box for this weekend shows.

Re: Mic dilemma: Hi-Hats & Overheads with C451B & SM81

Here is my dilemma, I have 2 AKG C451 and 2 Shure SM81 and I need to put up a pair of stereo mics for Overheads on the drums and a mic on the HiHats as well. Also, the drummer is behind a 5’ tall shield.

Which mics would you use as Overheads?

On normal/mid size gigs, I can get away with 1 AKG C451 above the drums and the other C451 on Hats. I am borrowing the SM81s from the other mic box for this weekend shows.

Truthfully, I would flip a coin. Both choices are perfectly acceptable.

actually, I think I would put the 81s oh overhead duty. But I can't think of a single defensible reason why other than it just feels,like the better way to go. :)

Odd thought but sometimes I like to mismatch overheads to give more separation between the signals and not pan as hard as you might with a matched pair.

Actually it takes a pretty big kit for me to switch to twin overheads and then I would be more inclined to get even closer and possibly under mic.

It doesn't matter, you are clearly distracted from concentrating your efforts on the main focus, which should be the lead kick drum.

Seriously, I don't think it matters that much. If it was me, I would probably use the 81's for OH, but just because I have found them to work pretty universally well on most things, and because they are well recognized in the live SR world. Really either should be OK sonically.

Matt, since you're confused I think you really need to send those pesky C451s to me and use the SM81s... ;)

It doesn't matter, you are clearly distracted from concentrating your efforts on the main focus, which should be the lead kick drum.

Did a metal show last night

After band #3 finishes, rep from band 4 comes up and says: "Can we have more kick drum?"

I said "sure, but the rest of the mix will suffer. Vocals and guitars will be harder to hear clearly because the kick will eat up what headroom I have"

Guy replies: "That's fine, we need more kick!!"

Actually, what I think you should really do is sell them all and get a pair of Royer 121's, and under mic.... though don't use 'em in harsh environments..... about $2500/pair, but great stuff.... the figure 8 pattern can really be used to your advantage with careful mic placement....

Into The Lair #56 – Tracking Drums with Greg Wells and Ian MacGregor [FULL] - Pensado's Place

Not suitable for harsh gigs though.....

Last edited:

Both are great mics. The capsule pattern of the 451 might make a big difference if it is one other than the cardioid. Flip a coin.

Did a metal show last night

After band #3 finishes, rep from band 4 comes up and says: "Can we have more kick drum?"

I said "sure, but the rest of the mix will suffer. Vocals and guitars will be harder to hear clearly because the kick will eat up what headroom I have"

Guy replies: "That's fine, we need more kick!!"

hahahahaha

Show recap... I used the C451B as Overheads and the SM81 on the Hats. I used the SM81 on hats, because it had a longer reach and I could get it closer. Everything sounded good.

The weekend show was a blast, I was using a DigiCo SD9 and d&b T10 system on FOH and Monitors there was another DigiCo SD9 with d&b M4 on wedges. All I had to do was bring in Mics and IEMs.