Mics For Bass Singers - Condenser or Dynamic?

For those of you that have run sound for quartets or groups that had good bass singers in them what mic(s) have you used that gave you the best sound/performance? Do you prefer dynamic mics (SM58, OM7, 835/945) over condensers (AE5400, SM86, VX10) and why please? Are there any additional tips you all might have in how to get a good sound (clear and not muddy) and to avoid feedback which seems to plague many bass singers?? Thanks...

Re: Mics For Bass Singers - Condenser or Dynamic?

AE5400, KMS105, E965, C535 all work. The guy holding the record for lowest male voice was using a C535 last time he was through.

Dynamic vs condenser- preference, I prefer the more accurate transient response of condenser.

I travel with one every weekend. The best microphone I have used for him is a Shure Beta57. He is able to get close to the diaphram and it rejects feedback better than any I have tried. Just as reference, I have tried akg535, Senn965 and 865, AT5400 and a few others. Good luck. If you would like to talk more, shoot me a pm.

AE5400, KMS105, E965, C535 all work. The guy holding the record for lowest male voice was using a C535 last time he was through.

Dynamic vs condenser- preference, I prefer the more accurate transient response of condenser.

He used to carry a Neumann KMS84, but it wasn't happy being on the road. Every time it was bumped hard it had to go back for repairs.

He used to carry a Neumann KMS84, but it wasn't happy being on the road. Every time it was bumped hard it had to go back for repairs.

Not long before he passed away, he was here. During soundcheck, one of the other singers bumped into him, causing him to lose his grip on the 84.

I never saw someone dive so quickly to catch a dropped microphone. The other singer skinned up his elbow pretty badly going for the mic that was headed for the concrete floor, but he didn't regret it for a bit considering what was in store for him if he hadn't caught it, to hear him tell it.

Yikes....

You talking about JD Sumner?
kwh

I travel with one every weekend. The best microphone I have used for him is a Shure Beta57. He is able to get close to the diaphram and it rejects feedback better than any I have tried. Just as reference, I have tried akg535, Senn965 and 865, AT5400 and a few others. Good luck. If you would like to talk more, shoot me a pm.

+1. We have a deep-throated singer in our band. He uses his own B57, which he had found works best for him. I have to agree. It sounds great. Granted, he is not a record-holding bass singer, he is very similar to Junior Brown. Has that kind of voice.

Tim Storms
Interesting, I will have to look him up. JD Sumner use to be the world record holder. He was Elvis's bass singer for many years and had some cool stories to tell. I opened for him a few times back in the 90's and at the time that was like the coolest moment ever.

Interesting, I will have to look him up. JD Sumner use to be the world record holder. He was Elvis's bass singer for many years and had some cool stories to tell. I opened for him a few times back in the 90's and at the time that was like the coolest moment ever.

Oops. I was referring to J.D. in my post. I haven't quite kept up with Southern Gospel music these days.