Midas Pro 6 Console Training

Bennett Prescott

Just This Guy, You Know?
Staff member
Jan 10, 2011
Wallingford, CT
www.bennettprescott.com
I had the good fortune to have the spare time to travel to NYC last week and attend Midas Pro Series console technician training. Like most people, I assume, I'd seen plenty of the XL8 and found it intimidating and impressively featured and priced. When the Pro 6 was released I heard good things from a few people but really had no idea how to use it or why it was similarly expensive.

In case you don't want to read the rest of this, suffice it to say I was very impressed. Midas has done an excellent job getting a lot of control into a small surface with the Pro Series, and the interface similarity and shared audio networking with the XL8 make them an extremely powerful solution. I would be happy to see a Pro series on almost any show at either FOH or monitors, and the audio networking backend would be a serious bonus.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Midas people there:
Jason Kelly, Technical Sales Manager from Kidderminster, England and the instructor for the course
Jay Easley, Sales Manager, North America
Paul Morini, BMG Hudson Sales & Marketing

More to come, it's been a very busy week.

Last edited:
Networking Back End

This was their two day technician training, as opposed to the one day operator training. Apparently somewhat of a new course, normally the schedule is one day operator training followed by two days of technician training. The difference between the two courses is obviously depth, with the two day course designed more for system engineers who need to be able to deploy and troubleshoot these desks. Since everyone was there for both days Jason went right for the longer course material.

What the Midas digital desks have to offer that was not obvious to me before is an extremely advanced digital audio network ''behind the scenes''. While your average soundco application may not involve more than a Pro 3 surface with a fixed 48x16 stage box, the system scales up to hundreds of inputs and outputs distributable on the fly to any combination of Pro series desks, XL8, or hard disc recorders like the KT DN9696. That same network can also be bridged into and out of other formats like Dante. Jason offered a very interesting example from the Euro Songvision Contest with 2 XL8s at FOH and 3 Pro 6 surfaces backstage with distributed I/O and outputs to the record/broadcast truck(s), all running on Midas's network.

The network itself is standards based and runs on what we all recognize as ethernet cabling, allowing any component to be located up to 300' from any other component (or more with a fiber ''snake'' to FOH) and providing extremely powerful routing from any I to any (or multiple) Os. Point to point latency is 70 microseconds, so they are using a very low latency packet design with error correction built in. Control data runs on the same cabling but different pins, through standard TCP/IP. At the lowest latency setting on the desk (longer latencies are set for more latency matching in and out of analog inserts, plugins, etc) I think the analog in to analog out latency of a normal snake system was between 1 and 2 milliseconds, which is about as low as any system available.

I was also very impressed with the thought put in to fault tolerance. Every system is has a hot-swap spare, whether it's the snakes, DSP cards, or control engines in the console itself. There is no single point of failure anywhere in a properly designed Midas digital system. All this error correction, fault monitoring, and failover is very transparent to the end user, but provides a lot of information and options to a system engineer trying to keep a complex system up and running.

Control Surfaces

On the network there are I/O boxes, most of which are modular. The ''best'' of which is the XL8 mic splitter, two digitally controlled mic amps, a third fixed gain and available at the front transformer isolated, and two analog splits (one per digitally controlled pre) on the back, plus extensive metering plus a PFL system on the front for troubleshooting. This piece of hardware is why the XL8 sports its quarter million dollar price tag, it comes with four of them, plus five configurable 24 channel I/O units for whatever. The Pro 3 is the cheapest because it comes with this fixed I/O package and no fiber snake option, although it can talk to any of the I/O boxes including the Pro 6's modular standard stage box.

Audio to and from those units is routed through DSP brains for processing. The only difference between the Pro series consoles is how many DSP cards they have available (which basically determines how many channels of audio they can process), their I/O package, and the Pro 3 doesn't ship with a fiber snake option. Any Pro series console can be upgraded or downgraded into any other Pro series console at any time in short order. Numbers floated indicated about a $20,000 leap from the Pro 3 to the Pro 6, and another $10,000 or so to the Pro 9 which can mix some 88 channels in a very convenient footprint. The XL8 of course comes loaded for bear and can always process everything, plus I'm pretty sure it was hitting on me.

The Pro series control surface itself is very nicely built. It was designed from the start to allow two engineers to work on the surface at the same time, with two separate channel detail strips with head amp options, EQ, dynamics, etc. All the knobs are actually analog pots that have their settings interpolated by an A/D to determine actual position, which basically means that the surface feels very smooth and solid and control changes translate very well to ''what I was trying to do''. The second control strip and right hand bank of four faders can be ''uncoupled'' and run completely independently, or linked to page with the rest of the console. This is a killer feature for me and really showed me that Midas has their sights in the right place with these desks.

Another great touch is that almost every control has only one purpose. The EQ knobs are always EQ knobs, 16 aux masters can be available all at the same time, and 8 aux sends at a time can be banked through quickly. There is also a very comprehensive A & B PFL/Listen system, plus a powerful automation system that I actually found comprehensible. The board has incredibly good metering, nice big input meters plus separate comp and gate meters for every channel on the surface. Either of the two screens can also be set up to meter every in and out on the desk.

By far the best feature on the surface is the way the console handles POP and VCA groups. First of all, 10 VCAs is a luxury I am seldom afforded. However, after assigning channels to a VCA (which is intuitive), pressing the backlit LCD button above the VCA causes those channels to ''pop'' up on the surface faders. The 6 POP groups can be used to do the same thing without assigning to a particular VCA. Instead of navigating by banks on the console you navigate by user assigned group of channels, which are also identified by color and text label. This is a much better way than most digital consoles are doing this, in my view, and really takes the desk from ''hmm'' to ''yes please'' for me. Additionally, certain POP groups can be made to appear only on the ''Group B'' bank of 4 faders, a great way to keep track of money channels without interrupting something else you may be doing.

While this course was about the Pro series desks, Big Mo Pro lent their XL8 so we could experience the entire lineup. While the XL8 back end can handle more I/O processing than any Pro series desk, the surface itself is completely familiar once you know how to mix on its little brothers. The same thing, but more of it... more buttons for controls that are on the screen on a Pro series surface. More mixes available. Three banks of 8 faders each with their own detail strip to allow even more to happen at once. More POP groups and VCAs. More monitoring. If you can afford the extra control it is step up, but there is little you can do on an XL8 that you couldn't accomplish nearly as well on a Pro 6 or Pro 9.

All in all a very impressive lineup. The entire series of Midas digital desks are going on my ''would love to see on nearly any show'' list, which is extremely sparse when it comes to digital desks. I hope to have a Pro series out to play with later this year and I will let you know how I feel about it once I've run some actual bands through the thing, but I have little doubt I will be anything but pleased. I'd even be happy to use a Pro series at monitors, which is saying a LOT for me since I am usually very unhappy to give up control in the hot seat. Of course, it helps a lot that I can control the inboard graphics on any of the desks with a KT DN9331 Helix Rapide, which answers my complaints about the majority of digital desks at monitor beach.

Re: Networking Back End

The network being what it is, can you use two surfaces with one stage box. So a Pro3 for monitors and a Pro6 for FOH sharing a single stage box ?

Yes, if you are willing to share preamp gains. You can even keep both ''brains'' on deck, or at FOH, or under the stage... This is less of a big deal because Midas has very flexible digital trim available, and of course the preamps themselves are designed to sound ''Midas-y'' in the red.

Quote: said:
I think by the time you're dropping the coin for a pair of Pro series desks you can probably afford the proper stage boxes, so no, I wouldn't.

I know it's probably a futile question, given that everything changes depending on the configuration, but what is the street price for the different Pro series desks?

I like to keep a running tab in my head so when someone asks me if I have thought about getting X console instead of Y console I can say, ''yeah, I'd love to but X costs four times as much as Y''.

I wasn't really surprised, it's very price competitive if you consider more than just dollars per input. The interface is better than anything that cheap, and once you get into the price range of desks with an interface of the same quality the backend is better. Perhaps pricy for for your average regional, but when you really need a high performance desk it's in rarified air.

Then again, I don't buy the stuff.