Multi Pin Disconnect... small/fun/learning project. 12 ch size

I've got this small project and I want to I want try and build a 12 ch multi pin disconnect snake for my RF rack. I am planning on using the CPC connectors, they are inexpensive and been around forever. I’m not going touring or letting minimal wage Joe touch the connection.

Am I going down the right track?

Connector:
206151-2: Standard Circular Connector RECEPTACLE 37 PIN free hanging s.s. 23
206150-1: Standard Circular Connector PLUG 37 POSITION shell size 23

Contact Pins:
I see they offer Crimp and Solder style. With the Crimp tool being $215, will there be any issues soldering the pin/socket and pushing them into the plug? I’m planning to build just 2-3 complete connections (4-6 multi pins).

Extraction Tool: 305183

Solder:
Pin: 66182-1
Socket: 66183-1

Crimp:
Pin: 66591
Socket: 66592
Crimp Tool: 58495-1 ($215)

Back shells:
206138-1 – Standard
207774-1 – Self Centering

Add Heat Shrink on the each of the ground/exposed/drain wires.

I’ve got a EWI snake that I can hack.
I know the project is time consuming.
I've got help; my dad is retired Navy and was once a Maintenance Master Chief and has rebuilt a few of these connectors for the helicopters.

Last edited:
Re: Multi Pin Disconnect... small/fun/learning project. 12 ch size

I am building 2 snakes.

1st Snake is being used at the RF rack with 4 Handhelds & 8 IEMs. I am going to place the disconnect on the console side.
2nd Snake is a simple sub/drop snake in a 12x0 stage box; I know I am going to put the disconnect at the mixer and then maybe one on stage box.

90% of the time I work with the same band; the IEMS and Wireless mics aren't going to change locations very often. I'm planning on build and extra fan tail to leave in the RF rack for the 1 offs when I don't need my console. The stage box is I am planning on using for drums (10 chs)

Is their a "standard" for CPC on connection goes which goes where? -><- = disconnect
XLR-Fan--(cable)--M-CPC-> <-F-CPC--(cable)--F-CPC-> <-M-CPC---XLR fan
OR
XLR-Fan--(cable)--M-CPC-> <-F-CPC--(cable)--M-CPC-> <-F-CPC---XLR fan

Which XLR-Fan would be replaced with a stage box?

Attachments

• Snakes.png
    Snakes.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

I spoke to TE's tech line as well... Here is what they are saying for parts:
Recpt: 206151-2
Plug: 206150-1
Pin: 66103-3
Socket: 66105-3
Backshells: 206138-8
Backshell Extender: 207055-1
Tool-crimper: 58495-1 (consumer grade)
Tool-crimper: 91515-1 (pro-builder grade)
Tools-Insertion: 91002-1
Tools-Extraction: 305183

I would use a standard pin out from one of the big suppliers.
I would put a bulkhead connector in the rack with a fan in the doghouse and use an off the shelf trunk cable to connect them. That way you can extend it if needed or replace it if damaged.

Sent from my iPad HD

I have saved that file... but I am confused as to what is an "input" and "output". Does it make any difference if the snakes lines are going to be bi-directional?

Output = Stage Box, RF Rack (hand helds & IEMs)
Input = Mixer

I would use a standard pin out from one of the big suppliers.
I would put a bulkhead connector in the rack with a fan in the doghouse and use an off the shelf trunk cable to connect them. That way you can extend it if needed or replace it if damaged.

Rob, I was planning on using the Ramtech/Entertainment Metals pin outs.

For the RF Rack, I am trying to avoid the a rack plate. I want to coil the snake cable into the rack, I'm also building an extra 'mixer fan tail' that's going to be stored in there as well for gigs when I need to pull just the RF Rack.

I have saved that file... but I am confused as to what is an "input" and "output". Does it make any difference if the snakes lines are going to be bi-directional? Output = Stage Box, RF Rack (hand helds & IEMs)
Input = Mixer

As some cables are mult-mult and some mult-XLR, there is a convention on which pinsets are In 1-x and which are Out 1-x.

Matt I fully applaud your plans to delve into the building of a multipin snake cable. I seriously question the bonafides of any sound company owner who is not fully capable of building his or her own cable, snakes and patch panels. That being said ...

Pick your battles. If you can coil a patch snake such as this in the RF Rack and the console end isn't permanently patched at the XLR connectors then this is not a good application for a multipin. Never build a multipin disconnect when a simple XLR fan out would work. A small pin count connector such as a CPC is ideal for return snakes. We have hundreds of feet of CPC 12 channel snakes with some bundled with Ramlatch 54 pair snakes and a CPC panel mounted on the drive rack and one on the stage receiving rack with a loop thru CPC for connecting to a cross stage CPC panel and an XLR patch panel that allows cross patching to local inputs is an ideal implementation. This sort of combination allows easy extending and creative solutions

I can send you the details of the most popular connector parts as used by most of the major vendors. It is said that Clair had a tech who's full time occupation was replacing the plastic coupling rings on CPCs.

Riley, the reasoning behind going with a multipin for this application is to reduce set-up & tear down times because I work with the same band 95% of the time at weddings & corporate events on my rig. I am building an extra fantail to leave in the RF rack for the few random gigs for when Production is supplied; I am leaning towards a rack/panel mounted multipin and then building a 15-20 'other production' fan tail.

At each gig, I am plugging in roughly 28-36 XLRs (in & out) into the LS9 depending on the bands set-up; 6pc core with optional 1-3pc horn section.
I'm currently running a few patch/drop snakes into the console; 8ch (4x4) patch for RF (plus 4 loose XLRs), two 6ch (3x3) drop snakes (1 SR for horns & 1 SL for guitars/vox), and 12ch (10x2) drop snake for the drums. Keys (x2), Vocals (x3) and a 2ch snake for Bass/Vox (sometimes this gets individual XLRs).
New/planned set-up will have less connections into the console with 12ch (8x4, multi pin) for the RF rack, 12ch (12x0, multipin) drop for drums (8ch), Keys (2x) and vocals (2x); the two 6ch (fan) drops are going to stay the same for GTR/Vox, horns and bass.

Update... I have built my first tail; this is the console side of things. The rack tail is almost built, I'm just waiting on custom rack panel to come in. Next week, I am going to start prep'ing for cable chunks and build a 15', 25' & 50' lengths.

So far, I don't think it was to challenging... just takes a lot of time. I haven't kept tracked of the hours; its a project that I am building at home on my free time while I sit and watch TV.

As to much how much I have spent parts & tools so far is around $775 for this project. Sounds like a lot, but iI think its a rather large build because I am building 3x loose fan tails, 3x chuck/snakes, 1x rack panel and 1x stage box. In perspective if I bought a 50' 12ch multi-pin stage snake it would cost me around $675 new.

BTW, how is it looking? Where could I improve on my build?

Attachments

• IMG_1066.jpg
    IMG_1066.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1067.jpg
    IMG_1067.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1065.jpg
    IMG_1065.jpg
    361.5 KB · Views: 1

Doesn't look too bad. I'd have cleaned up the foil on the cables a little better, but that's just because I'm anal about those things. Once the connector is closed, you won't see it.

Once you get practiced at making multi-pins, it will go a lot faster. I make tons of them for other uses. I'm a fan of multipin cables specifically to speed up connections. While it will only save you a couple minutes per gig, you know the connections are always going to be in the right order. Nice work!

Looking good there Matt. Couple things of note. Trim those foil shields and cover the ends of the shielded pairs with clear shrink ( clear so you can see the placement ). All those foil shields touching intermittently are a source of never ending mystery noise issues. I'm guessing from the length of the strip back that you have the backshell extensions, if not it's time to buy them. Be sure to have at least two layers of shrink for the cable clamp to grab at the end of the jacket. Jacket shrink back is always a pita. A handy trick for retaining as much jacket as possible while still having room to work is to split the jacket and fold it back then use shrink to close it up again when done.

Personally I prefer to do multi pin connector work or for that matter any big connector cabling project in as a quite and distraction free location as possible, tv seems like too much distraction from me.
It will be a little more tedious when you start making up the multi pair jumper cables, you can't move the cable finished cables out of the way as easy as you can when working on a fan tail.

That's a good project, in some strange way I find making cables up kind of therapeutic!

Personally I prefer to do multi pin connector work or for that matter any big connector cabling project in as a quite and distraction free location as possible, tv seems like too much distraction from me.

I prefer to just listen to the radio and leave my visual senses for the work at hand. You might want to be careful about how much "adult beverage" you consume too, just so nothing gets confused. :razz: Fixing a mistake several layers in is no fun at all (ask me how I know). Too much coffee can make you jittery, which is equally as bad.

I'm not a big fan of heatshrink for these kind of projects, particularly trying to build up an outer jacket. It always seemed to contract as the cable aged and all of a sudden there was a less than secure grip. Having the connector clamp on the actual jacket itself, without having to fudge anything, seems to work best. You don't even need heatshrink on the individual pairs or drain wires. These ones use Hellerman sleeves (neoprene rubber) to dress the end and hide any loose foil, and then teflon tubing over the drain wire. Unlike heatshrink, I can slip the Hellerman on, and it remains flexible enough to slide the teflon tubing underneath.

GTD

multi_5964.jpg

I prefer to just listen to the radio and leave my visual senses for the work at hand. You might want to be careful about how much "adult beverage" you consume too, just so nothing gets confused. :razz: Fixing a mistake several layers in is no fun at all (ask me how I know). Too much coffee can make you jittery, which is equally as bad.

I'm not a big fan of heatshrink for these kind of projects, particularly trying to build up an outer jacket. It always seemed to contract as the cable aged and all of a sudden there was a less than secure grip. Having the connector clamp on the actual jacket itself, without having to fudge anything, seems to work best. You don't even need heatshrink on the individual pairs or drain wires. These ones use Hellerman sleeves (neoprene rubber) to dress the end and hide any loose foil, and then teflon tubing over the drain wire. Unlike heatshrink, I can slip the Hellerman on, and it remains flexible enough to slide the teflon tubing underneath.

GTD

View attachment 10569

What cable is that? I like look so much easier than what I am working with.