Multi Track Playback/Mixing Live recording

Jan 11, 2011
Houston, Texas
Hey All,

I know that its been done before and I know its a useful thing sometimes even in sound check. But I was wondering What the cheapest way to play 16 tracks from my computer to my mackie onyx 1640 board? Im wanting to simulate making a live mix through all my gear so I can start making my own presets in my new TC M one and tweaking a few other things. What are some affordable solutions to this? Ive been doing a lot of reggae and instead of trying to dial in some effects I like Id rather take my own rack to save some time. Ive got the tracks and I can put them into any program, Whats the best/cheapest way to go about this. Im guessing 2x 8 in/out interfaces? At that point which ones are gonna be good for Live recording? That kills two birds in one stone. Any other ideas?

Looking at:

PreSonus FP10

Mackie Onyx Blackbird

Other similar ones. M Audio?

Evan

Re: Multi Track Playback/Mixing.

There are two ways of going about this.

First, you can get a multichannel sound card. The most I've seen is maybe 8 channels in a single PCI card. Something like this: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Delta1010LT.html The better option is to find some sort of USB or Firewire box that will provide several channels of D/A.

Here's an 8x8 USB box:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackUltra8R.html

Here's a 26x26 Firewire box:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProFire2626.html

And a 24x24 Firewire box:

http://www.motu.com/products/pciaudio/24IO/specs.html

None of this is ''cheap'' though. YOu are looking from several hundred to a couple of thousand for these options.

Re: Multi Track Playback/Mixing Live recording

You might be further ahead selling the Mackie board and any gates/comps/etc and getting a Studiolive. That's one of the easiest ways to do exactly what you want, and the only cable required is a single firewire cable.

This is one area where the Studiolive really excels.

If the Mackie Firewire card is out only, then I agree on the StudioLive. Or the Roland 300 if you have plenty of cash :D

While I cant disagree with the Studiolive/Roland Suggestions. Id hate to sell my Mackie. I thought about it a while back but didnt. Its paid for and it makes money. Now, I may splurge and buy a studio live to add too my collection as I can use it to record live, Small digital board, and I should be able to still work with recordings to play with other gear while im home through the auxes right?

My personal choice would be a MOTU 828. I would go with the mkII or more recent, but the original should work just fine for you in reality.

You don't say if you are running a mac or pc, and what type of connectivity you have. . . I am a mac user, so the firewire thing is a bit easier on that platform. With the PC's I have owned in the past, I have preferred the MOTU 2408 w/ it's dedicated PCI card, over the firewire options.

Both of these units are available in many past and current build (generations) for very very reasonable money on ebay. I currently have been delving deeper and deeper into using LogicPro for everything, but with the PC & MOTU2408 combo, I was strictly using Nuendo.

My personal choice would be a MOTU 828. I would go with the mkII or more recent, but the original should work just fine for you in reality.

You don't say if you are running a mac or pc, and what type of connectivity you have. . . I am a mac user, so the firewire thing is a bit easier on that platform. With the PC's I have owned in the past, I have preferred the MOTU 2408 w/ it's dedicated PCI card, over the firewire options.

Both of these units are available in many past and current build (generations) for very very reasonable money on ebay. I currently have been delving deeper and deeper into using LogicPro for everything, but with the PC & MOTU2408 combo, I was strictly using Nuendo.

Thanks Steve, I will look into the MOTU 828. Im running a Macbook.

Go firewire all the way then. I use my MOTU896 with my original intel macbook, my newish MB-Pro, and my newish Mac Mini interchangeably with both the firewire 400 & 800 ports... no issues, no glitches, just plug it in and off we go.

Go firewire all the way then. I use my MOTU896 with my original intel macbook, my newish MB-Pro, and my newish Mac Mini interchangeably with both the firewire 400 & 800 ports... no issues, no glitches, just plug it in and off we go.

I think maybe for now I will just play things one by one from my Mac.

Computer-Mackie Onyx-Route to FX-Back to Onyx-Monitors. Not the best solution but its free. I was only willing to spend 500, and I might as well wait until I can do up a nice setup like the MOTU or a full portable protools rig.