Need advice on a generator to run my sound system

Richard Stringer

Sophomore
Jan 13, 2011
Boston, Lincolnshire, UK
Hey guys, i'm in need of some advice of a generator to run my sound system for 8 hours so I can do outdoor dance events. My sound system is two JBL SRX728S subs and two Peavey SP4 mid/highs, the subs are each run off a bridged QSC RMX2450 and the mid/highs are each run off a bridged RMX1450. I've got also two Technics turntables, one dj mixer and a Dbx 223XL crossover. I've also got two scanner lights and a fog machine but i'm thinking I can use a small generator to power those. Here's my choices, oh and my maximum budget is £1,000 so in the generators below price range, I cannot afford anymore than that. I'm wondering if you can tell me which of these generators would be capable, the music styles played are drum & bass, dubstep and hard trance. Thanks.

Hyundai HY3600SEi Digital Inverter Petrol 3300w Inverter Generator

Hyundai DHY6000SE Silenced 5kw Diesel Generator

Hyundai HY7000LE AVR Petrol Generator

Re: Need advice on a generator to run my sound system

Exhaust every possibility of using mains power before going to a generator. Your money may be better invested in heavy gauge wire. less to go wrong, less maintenance, no fuel cost, no fire hazard, less likely to be stolen... i could go on.

Exhaust every possibility of using mains power before going to a generator. Your money may be better invested in heavy gauge wire. less to go wrong, less maintenance, no fuel cost, no fire hazard, less likely to be stolen... i could go on.

Here in my town there's basically nowhere to hold dance events because all the people who run village and town halls refuse to let anyone do even a little birthday party. So, because of this, i'm planning on getting a generator so I can hold events outdoors or a farmer's barn because some farmers round here let people if they pay them a little bit. So I absolutely NEED a generator so anyone's help would be great.

Here in my town there's basically nowhere to hold dance events because all the people who run village and town halls refuse to let anyone do even a little birthday party. So, because of this, i'm planning on getting a generator so I can hold events outdoors or a farmer's barn because some farmers round here let people if they pay them a little bit. So I absolutely NEED a generator so anyone's help would be great.

You might try renting this hall:

www.bostonguildhall.co.uk

They say right out on the Internet that the hall is available for events.

Or this one:

Hire Old Leake Community Centre | Furlongs Lane, Old Leake, Boston, Lincolnshire, England

It appears that they all have adequate electricity.

Richard,

There's a thread on what is widely considered to be the best gas generator over here: http://soundforums.net/basement/5482-just-ticket.html#post38868

Unfortunately, the hard limit of 1,000 pounds rules out the Hondas as the UK price for the model equivalent to the 3000ei a lot of us use is listed as slightly more than 2,800 pounds.

Of the three options listed in the OP, the diesel model seems to list for about double the stated budget BEFORE VAT, the gas (petrol) model which fits in the budget is a "construction grade" unit with questionable power regulation and the gas model claiming regulated power is also listed at more than the given budget.

Hey guys, i'm in need of some advice of a generator to run my sound system for 8 hours so I can do outdoor dance events. My sound system is two JBL SRX728S subs and two Peavey SP4 mid/highs, the subs are each run off a bridged QSC RMX2450 and the mid/highs are each run off a bridged RMX1450. I've got also two Technics turntables, one dj mixer and a Dbx 223XL crossover. I've also got two scanner lights and a fog machine but i'm thinking I can use a small generator to power those. Here's my choices, oh and my maximum budget is £1,000 so in the generators below price range, I cannot afford anymore than that. I'm wondering if you can tell me which of these generators would be capable, the music styles played are drum & bass, dubstep and hard trance. Thanks.

Hyundai HY3600SEi Digital Inverter Petrol 3300w Inverter Generator

Hyundai DHY6000SE Silenced 5kw Diesel Generator

Hyundai HY7000LE AVR Petrol Generator

None of the generators listed would even come close to running your system.

Are there any available for rent and a low enough rate to make it viable?

In all the little band jobs I have done with generator the time I got a 15kW Honda was undoubtedly the best.

I am not saying you need one this big, but this is what it takes to do a small festival at a county fair.

Attachments

• gen.jpg
    gen.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 3
Unfortunately, the hard limit of 1,000 pounds rules out the Hondas as the UK price for the model equivalent to the 3000ei a lot of us use is listed as slightly more than 2,800 pounds.

Ahh, well, so much for the more expensive currency being more valuable.

Richard, if you don't have the budget for a half decent generator, and can't rent, you will just have to take a bet on the power coming out of the one construction grade generator on that list that you can afford.

...you will just have to take a bet on the power coming out of the one construction grade generator on that list that you can afford.
Improperly powering/under-powering your rig is one of the worst things you can do. Electricity is its life blood, and you need to feed it right…why don't you check around with some local production companies to see what they use, and if you can rent the same.

Improperly powering/under-powering your rig is one of the worst things you can do. Electricity is its life blood, and you need to feed it right…why don't you check around with some local production companies to see what they use, and if you can rent the same.

I agree with this. Richard this is especially true with the bass heavy styles of music you are doing. Voltage drops and brownouts are not good at all for most of your gear, especially most digital devices. I often do outside festivals with generator power with great success and no issues whatsoever. The key is just like with sound reinforcement, "Bring enough rig for the gig." I usually rent a generator with 1.5 times the amount of power I will be using. I have never had a single issue and I have done 100 or more shows with a generator over the years, 14 just this year alone.

I too want to buy my own generator but will not until I decide I can afford the 50kva quiet diesel unit I typically use. You have to consider not only power output but noise output as well. Also you will need enough cable and spider boxes or a distro to locate the generator far enough away from the stage, even if it is quiet. You don't want to be breathing in the exaust. I always run one cable and spider box from the generator to each side of the stage to power the amps and a third cable for stage power if there is a band playing for the backline. I actually prefer a generator over a tie in to house power because it has always been stable and clean. The point is I can rent what I need to do the job properly and still make a profit until I can find the right deal on a unit that will meet my requirements. If you have never done a show with a generator before I strongly suggest you rent a powerful enough unit your first time and see if there are any issues you encounter rather than spend money on something that might be less than ideal for you.

Sorry I didn't answer earlier but i've been busy organising my event at the pub i'm doing it at on the 27th. Dick, neither of those halls will let me do events there, i've asked already, as soon as I said party they said "dance music? no way, sorry."

Bennett, yeah thanks, i'll check that thread out on generators.

Silas, what kind of power generator do you think ideally i'd need? Or would I need three of those 5,000 watt generators to run it? One for the two sub amps, one for the mid/highs and one for the lighting, maybe.

Or would I need three of those 5,000 watt generators to run it? One for the two sub amps, one for the mid/highs and one for the lighting, maybe.

Running off multiple generators for the sound system can be fraught with difficulties, and thus I'd really recommend that you don't try it.

Running off multiple generators for the sound system can be fraught with difficulties, and thus I'd really recommend that you don't try it.

I had to do that once in an emergency when the big generator I had reserved got refueled with water instead of diesel fuel. I got away with using two smaller generators, one for each side of amps and cabinets. I ran front of house tied in to one side and used an isolation transformer in line to the XLR input to the other side. I am not shure of the code requirements but I can say that it worked and I did not have any ground loop buzzing and nobody got shocked. I am going to start a thread about using multiple small generators because I would really like to know if there is a proper way to do it.

The small print states, "Producing over 7kVA of continuous power, this barrow mounted generator has a choice of seven 110/240V outlets - ideal for powering a variety of tools & lighting equipment on large sites."

I would take this to mean that it's a "construction grade" generator. I won't hook my gear up to one of them, although I know others do. If you know someone with an oscilloscope you could always check to see how clean the power is on one of them. Or you could ask the hire outfit if they have something with "computer safe" power.

The small print states, "Producing over 7kVA of continuous power, this barrow mounted generator has a choice of seven 110/240V outlets - ideal for powering a variety of tools & lighting equipment on large sites."

I would take this to mean that it's a "construction grade" generator. I won't hook my gear up to one of them, although I know others do. If you know someone with an oscilloscope you could always check to see how clean the power is on one of them. Or you could ask the hire outfit if they have something with "computer safe" power.

They won't have a computer safe one because it's a hire place, the only hire place too, and all that's available are construction grade generators.

They won't have a computer safe one because it's a hire place, the only hire place too, and all that's available are construction grade generators.

Another term for "computer safe" is inverter. I can't imagine that they wouldn't have an inverter model somewhere. If they don't, then you'll have to look at the larger capacity units which break out the power through some kind of panel, distro or combination thereof. At some point in the progression from low- to hi-level power they will have something which won't "chain-saw" through audio gear.

The Honda eu or ei series generators use inverters to put out very clean power. Many of us here use the 3000W model which lists for around 2800 Pounds on your side of the pond. For your use I'd think of getting something a bit larger. You could then hire it out to others in your situation when you're not using it. They are very good investments in that they hold their value exceedingly well if taken good care of.

But for your stated budget, purchase is going to require quite a bit of shopping and probably requires buying used. I'd recommend a little more looking around for rentals. I did find several more hire companies in your area via the Google, but they're more into the larger models for event power. The problem with looking for the small ones, as you know, is that they tend to be construction grade. It's pretty much the same here. You can find the little 2000W Hondas to rent, but they're too small for practical use like what you want and the next 3 sizes up aren't available for rent.

Good luck, keep looking and don't give up.

Richard,

Can you get one of these:

41537 - Champion Power Equipment

I know for a fact that this will run 6 Crown XTI4000 amps all day long at full volume. This type of generator is unregulated, meaning it is possible to get higher voltage than it states in order to maximize the power for your system. It worked great for me for many years for outdoor raves. To get it to work with my system, I wired my amps to use 240V, then increased the working RPM until I had 260V on the distro. The XTI seem to do much better at higher voltages, but your system may vary. Oh, BTW-- bring lots of gasoline, it burns through gas quickly at such a high load.

Now, I own one of these for outdoor shows:

ingersoll.JPG

This type of generator is unregulated, meaning it is possible to get higher voltage than it states in order to maximize the power for your system. It worked great for me for many years for outdoor raves. To get it to work with my system, I wired my amps to use 240V, then increased the working RPM until I had 260V on the distro.

Increasing RPM changes the frequency, not the voltage. The voltage is regulated by the excitation circuit, on larger units this is dynamic, on smaller units it is fixed.

Adrian, please chime in here and clarify my answer.

--------------------------------------------------

Richard, I like big generators. I regularly use 68k and 30k units with no problems. I have used a 25k Whisperwatt running some Itechs for about 20,000 watts of system power, and it handled 40 amp peaks without a problem, though the voltage and frequency did sag slightly on each peak.

I'd shoot to have double the generator watts as you have sound system watts.