New 5GHZ Router for Yamaha consoles

Been using a venerable WRT54GS for years, with DD-WRT installed, boosting the power output up to 250mW and getting great range and reliability using it with the Yamaha consoles. However, in many rooms I'm finding a ton of 2.4G stuff (likely people's smartphones) and wanted to upgrade to a new 5ghz router, (hearing that I may get better connectivity at 5ghz) with great range and DD-WRT compatibility.
So, after reading lots of good reports and reviews about the ASUS Routers, I bought a fairly expensive one, with the hopes of increased range and 5GHZ connections to my iPAD Air 2. It worked fine for internet stuff, but I could never get it to allow my iPAD to sync reliably with the Yamaha consoles. (LS9/M7CL/CL/QL). Took it back, had them test it, they said it was fine. I flashed it with DD-WRT, tried the latest ASUS firmware, didn't make a difference. Returned it and kept on using my faithful WRT54GS.

So, I still would like to find a new 5ghz Router. Features:
- 5Ghz capability
- High power capability (250mW+)
- DD-WRT compatibility
- High compatibility with Yamaha consoles
- Durable
- Linksys preferably, since that's the only router brand that's been reliable for me. Tried ASUS/D-Link before and all have failed me, not just for Yamaha stuff, but at home too.
- Bonus if the USB port on the router worked as a USB to MIDI converter, but that's not critical, I have other ways to do that.

Suggestions?

Re: New 5GHZ Router for Yamaha consoles

Stay away from 5ghz its shorter range and less resilient. Go with a commercial 2.4ghz system. With a decent antenna you'll find if you have a higher power wireless you won't need to worry about all the little networks

Sent from my XT1060

It doesn't work with DDWRT but check out Ubquiti's products:
https://www.ubnt.com/products/#enterprise/wireless
Have you tried any of these with a Yamaha? Which one do you recommend?

5GHz will for the same antenna gain/style pretty much always have a shorter range than 2.4Ghz but it's currently a cleaner (and wider) frequency band.
Range isn't an issue, I can go 500 feet or more when there's no other networks around, it's getting a good (short distance) connection when there's lots of interference that's giving me trouble.

I use an ENS500ENT EnGenius access point when I do stadium tuning...rather large stadiums. It has been flawless in front of 60k to 80k people. No idea if it does DD-WRT, but probably not, because it's not a router, just access point (but still has a DHCP server if that's your thing). I had the 2.4GHz equivalent, but that unit (and every other 2.4Ghz unit i have tried) performed very poorly in front of large crowds.

Interesting! I guess if the built-in capabilities are good enough, flashing the firmware to DD-WRT isn't that important. It's vital for consumer-grade routers, though, IMHO.

I'll check that one out. I don't supposed you've tried it with a Yamaha console?

I can't say for certain if I have used it with a Yamaha desk. If I had it would have been an M7. I can maybe get some facetime with another M7 on NYE if you want me to check it out.

I have had good luck with this specific product, but I am by no means a power user. I use mixer remote apps, real VNC, and Audio Architect...and that's about it.

Have you tried any of these with a Yamaha? Which one do you recommend?

Ubiquiti Bullet M5HP. I don't like the Titanium version as much for the fact that there are no status lights on the side.

https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/bulletm/

Pretty much any 5GHz antenna with a female N-connector will work - I use one that's a +8dBi omni. The Bullet can be set to serve up DHCP addresses, so if you have multiple pieces of gear just use a cheap gigabit switch like the Netgear GS108, etc. The Bullet fits nicely in a Shure wireless clip, so you can put it on a mic stand or clamp to get it up high enough to be line of sight.

I use a Nanostation M5 from Ubiquiti. I have no problems with range.

I am using a linksys router inside my case to handle dhcp and to give me a 2.4 Ghz network for an older ipod I use for music and the M5 is set up for a network extender. I put it on the downstage edge of the stage pointed towards foh. I have gone hundreds of feet from it and still had full signal.
I use an ipad4 a PC and an Android tablet. I'll have at least 2 of them connected at any time to the network.

Range isn't an issue, I can go 500 feet or more when there's no other networks around, it's getting a good (short distance) connection when there's lots of interference that's giving me trouble.

Then it's 5ghz you want. I use a cheap Cisco dual band with 2.4 turned off. Took care of ALL my drop out issues which were frequent in 2.4. Yes I could've spent more money on a high dollar 2.4 set up. But this has worked flawlessly (knock on wood!).

Looks like a nice device.
Just to clarify again, range is not an issue at all, it's connectivity when there's tons of interference.

I really never have a problem anymore due to congestion.

With 5ghz I've found that you do want to have line-of-sight to the unit. But interference doesn't really happen to me anymore.

The bullet looks interesting, especially the form factor, but I ended up going for the ENS1750 last night after I found one for a decent price.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Hi Andrew,

I've been using the Bullet M5HP with a decent antenna shortly after I brought the LS9 into the band. It has never failed me, so, I'd go that way for sure. I disabled the 2.4 & 5 GHz radios in my router and just use the Ubiquiti's radio. When I first brought it in, I tested it at a fair we were playing, and from over 600 yards away I had a completely solid connection to my iPad 1st generation. Love it!

Best regards,
Bob

Then it's 5ghz you want. I use a cheap Cisco dual band with 2.4 turned off. Took care of ALL my drop out issues which were frequent in 2.4. Yes I could've spent more money on a high dollar 2.4 set up. But this has worked flawlessly (knock on wood!).

I also have had much better luck with 5 GHz than 2.4GHz lately. I'm also using Ubiquiti Bullets and Nanostations.

Hopefully getting the ENS1750 will give me the best of both worlds then, since I can choose 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz (or both!)
I thought 250mW was a lot when the default was only 80mW on my Linksys - the ENS1750 is 800mW. Sounds like a lot of power!

I thought 250mW was a lot when the default was only 80mW on my Linksys - the ENS1750 is 800mW. Sounds like a lot of power!

Just remember, just like in audio land, RF power is typically measured in dB, and a 3dB difference (2x the power) isn't a big difference. A 6dB increase in transmit power means that you can be heard for twice the distance (assuming everything else remains constant), but doesn't always mean you can maintain communication at that distance. Being able to hear your access point is meaningless if you can't form a link because the access point can't hear you. Receive performance is as meaningful as transmit power, and both are improved by proper antennas.