New Studiolive mixer at NAMM2016

Re: New Studiolive mixer at NAMM2016

They introduced the CS18AI last year. I've had one since October. This year they've added cascading, so you can combine 2 RM32AI's for:

64XLR in
16XLR out
L&R and Mono out
Cat5 snake,

All for $5600

http://youtu.be/Zt0i6Y_9slo

Last edited:

So it isn't a new mixer then? Looks like a control surface and RM's used as stage boxes?

So it isn't a new mixer then? Looks like a control surface and RM's used as stage boxes?
That is exactly what it is. Not really new for them other than the firmware to allow the cascading of the 2 RM mixers (stage boxes).

As this is just a controler like the iPad,windows,Mac etc apps used to control the stage box/mixer currently does it in itself have a WiFi link to connect to the stage box? Or is it cat5/6 only? Yes its more than a basic controler but if it had WiFi as well that would make it interesting. I couldn't fine any reference so I was just wondering.

Douglas R. Allen

As this is just a controler like the iPad,windows,Mac etc apps used to control the stage box/mixer currently does it in itself have a WiFi link to connect to the stage box? Or is it cat5/6 only? Yes its more than a basic controler but if it had WiFi as well that would make it interesting. I couldn't fine any reference so I was just wondering.

Douglas R. Allen

It does support a WiFi link between it and the rack mixer. When running that way you lose the ability for headphones, and talkback mic at the console as they use the AVB protocol over wired ethernet.

Unlikely. Eucon is a proprietary protocol owned by Avid which they protect. It is not available for public use, it would need to be licensed, which Avid is unlikely to be motivated to do in this case.

Ehh...sort of...It's supposed to be a semi-open protocol that Avid manages. All of the major DAWs and NLEs already support the Eucon Protocol. I don't see why surface manufacturers couldn't do the same thing.

They introduced the CS18AI last year. I've had one since October. This year they've added cascading, so you can combine 2 RM32AI's for:

64XLR in
16XLR out
L&R and Mono out
Cat5 snake,

All for $5600

http://youtu.be/Zt0i6Y_9slo

How is the quality on the board? I haven't seen one in person yet. Seems pricey for just a control surface. You could buy a Qu-16 for less money. You wouldn't have as many inputs but I guess it depends if you needed all 64.

Ehh...sort of...It's supposed to be a semi-open protocol that Avid manages. All of the major DAWs and NLEs already support the Eucon Protocol. I don't see why surface manufacturers couldn't do the same thing.

This is a controller for the RM32 mixers and only functions as a basic controller for StudioOne. They will be expanding it over time, but StudioOne will be the DAW they develop it for. It should not be expected to do anything differently. If it does, consider it icing on the cake. Rick at PreSonus has hinted at a StudioOne controller, but no date. I think anything they do would be eclipsed by the Slate Ravens released with StudioOne compatibility.

Welcome to 2013 Presonus!

What else is out there, that does what this does, for under $6k? Nothing really. It sounds pretty good for what it is. I have installed some in churches, and the churches love them. I have mixed some live CCM gigs with them, and the comments from the artists were very, very positive.

What else is out there, that does what this does, for under $6k? Nothing really. It sounds pretty good for what it is. I have installed some in churches, and the churches love them. I have mixed some live CCM gigs with them, and the comments from the artists were very, very positive.
What exact slicing and dicing do you mean where this has a particular corner on the market? I can think of several products I'd rather have for $6K for what I use - the A&H GLD or the Soundcraft SI Performer, to name a couple.

You are comparing apples with oranges here. Avid only opens it up enough to help themselves profit. They have no motivation to provide it to control surface manufacturers who are their direct competitors when they leverage it as a competitive advantage for their own hardware.

What exact slicing and dicing do you mean where this has a particular corner on the market? I can think of several products I'd rather have for $6K for what I use - the A&H GLD or the Soundcraft SI Performer, to name a couple.

Allen & Heath GLD 80 $5000
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GLD80

Allen & Heath GLD AR-2412 $1250 x 2 = $2500
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GLDAR2412

Allen & Heath GLD AB168 $1000
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AB168

Total: $7,500 for 64 XLR in, granted there's a lot more outputs...

RM32AI $1800 x 2 = $3600
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SLRM32AI

CS18AI $2000
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SLCS18AI

$5600, almost $2000 cheaper for 64 channels

If you are needing/using 64 ch, I'd hope the budget and your "bar" would be set higher that presonusaurus Rex

You would be surprised how many bands and churches are using these things. Some people don't have or want to spend more money than $6k.

For those comparing to GLD. they are not the same things. You can't rack mount the GLD80 and it doesn't have touch sensitive faders.

Soundcraft...Ok. I do those as well. Compare a Performer1, you do have the ability to mix over 60 inputs, but the faders aren't near as nice, or are touch sensitive. The console faders are merely recallable, without the ability to be automated. That is a future possibility with the PreSonus. The control software for the PreSonus has been designed for touch screens. You get StudioOne integration. That is big for bands and churches wanting to record or playback tracks. Having the ability to insert plugs into the mixer of the PreSonus is a bit easier on the PreSonus, because the whole eco system was designed with that in mind out of the box.

I think the PreSonus really is more appealing to the tech savvy band or church, where the musicians have more direct control with the process.