OAP?

Steve Tarak

Sophomore
Jan 12, 2011
Indy
A friend recently bought four OAP QSP2500's, two Crown CE4000's, two Crown CE1000's, a 150' 32 x 12 snake and a GL2200-32 for his church for $2500.

Not a bad deal imo.

Caught the OAP website.

Anyone familiar with this line?

Re: OAP?

There is a local near me with an OAP rig. I have never been impressed by it but I can't say if that is the speakers, the S's setup, or the bands he works for.

Garbage.

At least, the junk I've seen on eBay, especially their cables. Never heard their speakers.

I think you are thinking of OSP. OAP is a manufacturer based in Georgia(?) that manufactures a variety of trap speakers, and now apparently line arrays. I've handled their stuff before. The design and woodworking of the cabinets look a little bit homebrew in the sense that they use generic penn fabrication hardware and utilize simple designs. The woodworking however, is top notch and the cabinets are built like a friggin' tank. I think they use a variety of drivers from Eminence, EV, and JBL, so it's hard to comment on your cabinets directly, but since they are pretty conventional designs they should sound fine for church usage. Not a bad deal with all those amps. The CE4000 is pretty nice.

I think you are thinking of OSP. OAP is a manufacturer based in Georgia(?) that manufactures a variety of trap speakers, and now apparently line arrays. I've handled their stuff before. The design and woodworking of the cabinets look a little bit homebrew in the sense that they use generic penn fabrication hardware and utilize simple designs. The woodworking however, is top notch and the cabinets are built like a friggin' tank. I think they use a variety of drivers from Eminence, EV, and JBL, so it's hard to comment on your cabinets directly, but since they are pretty conventional designs they should sound fine for church usage. Not a bad deal with all those amps. The CE4000 is pretty nice.

Yep, I must have been thinking about OSP; I can't find any cables on the OAP site anyway.

Carry on...

I am now definitely not sure which brand I saw. The were 3 vertical array boxes per side, arranged flat front in a stack on subs. I remember thinking the boxes were extremely large for what they did and not very impressive in the workmanship. OAP? OSP? some othe rthree letter brand starting with O?

I think you are thinking of OSP. OAP is a manufacturer based in Georgia(?) that manufactures a variety of trap speakers, and now apparently line arrays. .
Yes they are from GA-and just down the road from my previous house.

They made their mark in this area doing copy cabinets decades ago. These were legal copies that JBL, EV etc supplied the plans.

With one exception (that they didn't design), it is pretty much speakers stuck in a box type of thing. Agreed the boxes are built well.

They have been loaded with all sorts of different drivers over the years. From top of the line JBL to cheap Eminance and everything in between.

Ours came with Eminence Omega's all of which have been replaced with Sigmas since. Which I don't like. I've been interested in trying some JBL 2241 clones a friend has been talking up. Might be smoother. Cost a little less.

Yes they are from GA-and just down the road from my previous house.

They made their mark in this area doing copy cabinets decades ago. These were legal copies that JBL, EV etc supplied the plans.

With one exception (that they didn't design), it is pretty much speakers stuck in a box type of thing. Agreed the boxes are built well.
For a period of time OAP worked closely with Dr. Gene Patronis at Georgia Tech and were the manufacturer for the original Pro-Ax speakers Gene designed, which they still offer, until there apparently was a disagreement and that relationship was severed. OAP's other 'claim to fame' is probably the C series with a coaxial main and adjustable downfill horn(s), a concept that seemed good until I started understanding more about patterns and coverage, multiple driver interaction, etc.

For a period of time OAP worked closely with Dr. Gene Patronis at Georgia Tech and were the manufacturer for the original Pro-Ax speakers Gene designed, which they still offer, until there apparently was a disagreement and that relationship was severed. OAP's other 'claim to fame' is probably the C series with a coaxial main and adjustable downfill horn(s), a concept that seemed good until I started understanding more about patterns and coverage, multiple driver interaction, etc.
Dr. P's cabinet was the one I was referring to.

Isn't it amazing how many "designs" start to fall apart when you start to understand what is really going on? If only sound behaved like light-it would be soooo much easier.