okay, so what would you ever use THIS for?

brian maddox

Senior
Jan 13, 2011
frederick, md
www.fcfchurch.com
yeah, this is kinda random but...

came across this while buying a couple nl4-1/4'' adapters...

210_1126858604.jpg

okay, i'll bite. what possible use would you have for an NL4-XLRM adapter?

[edit] fixed image link

Re: okay, so what would you ever use THIS for?

I'll hazard a guess....so you hate your mixing console, so, one input at a time, you take the amp output and fry the mic pre! Before long, you find a need to replace the console!
icon_biggrin.gif

or you could run your 70's era bose 802's from your Itech 8000.

wait, no you'd need a turnaround for that...

or you could plug your 57 straight into your 12am's and make the drummer play REALLY LOUD...

no, wait. still need a turnaround...

ummmm...

This reminds me of those cool adapters that take regular AC plugs and convert them to Speakon as well as 1/4'' TS female AND male so you can use off the shelf extension cords as speaker cables. Shocking!

Greg

Hi,

well i'll give the answer. In some locations ir was common practice to use xlr connectors for speaker. Speakers would have a male connector; amp rack would be XLR male as well.

Convention was to use a F-F xlr cable with only 2 pins connected - 1 & 3 or 1 & 2 depending (here in Oz it was 1 & 3).

So we've got lots of F-F Xlr speaker cables but now we're seeing boxes with SpeakOn so.. we need an adpator.

Adaptors useful for fixes but if I knew I was using SpeakOn cabs long term then I would make the proper cables.

Of course the real proper way to do things would be to retro fit SpeakOn's to our existing cabinets, re-wire our amp racks and change the plugs on our existing cables.

But who wants to do that if what you've got is working already ?

Andrew

I would get them as a joke, like a version of a ''cable lengthener'' or something, but someone would end up trying to use them to run their amp into their powered speakers for more output.

Every mic cord becomes a speaker cable

Just build all your mic cables with a ConvertCon on one end so you don't need a turnaround.

And as a bonus, you could put a CrystalCon on the other end to bling it up a little. Just because, you know?

EDIT: D'oh. I meant to quote the following post, that mentioned need for a turnaround.

Hi,

well i'll give the answer. In some locations ir was common practice to use xlr connectors for speaker. Speakers would have a male connector; amp rack would be XLR male as well.

Convention was to use a F-F xlr cable with only 2 pins connected - 1 & 3 or 1 & 2 depending (here in Oz it was 1 & 3).

So we've got lots of F-F Xlr speaker cables but now we're seeing boxes with SpeakOn so.. we need an adpator.

Adaptors useful for fixes but if I knew I was using SpeakOn cabs long term then I would make the proper cables.

Of course the real proper way to do things would be to retro fit SpeakOn's to our existing cabinets, re-wire our amp racks and change the plugs on our existing cables.

But who wants to do that if what you've got is working already ?

Andrew

There is a sound co down the street from me who's boxes are mostly xlr ins (yes speaker) and so are his amp racks, its really goofy but i assume this is for them. God help the newbie who buys one of these and uses it without knowing what he is doing!

I'm having this de ja vu experience...

+1

I've upgraded the firmware on my magic crystal ball, I foresee lots of de ja vu moments in our future for quite some time
icon_wink.gif

great, i activated the noob alarm...
icon_smile.gif

well, i only had barely reached 100 posts at 'our former locale' before migrating here, so i guess i hadn't seen this thread...

fwiw, i did actually kinda know the answer. but it's still a freakin' weird adapter...
icon_smile.gif

reminds me of the twofer i saw with 3 male L14-20 connectors. ummmmm...

brian

brian

I'm having this de ja vu experience...

+1

I've upgraded the firmware on my magic crystal ball, I foresee lots of de ja vu moments in our future for quite some time
icon_wink.gif

great, i activated the noob alarm...
icon_smile.gif

well, i only had barely reached 100 posts at 'our former locale' before migrating here, so i guess i hadn't seen this thread...

fwiw, i did actually kinda know the answer. but it's still a freakin' weird adapter...
icon_smile.gif

reminds me of the twofer i saw with 3 male L14-20 connectors. ummmmm...

brian

brian

It's only a freakin' weird adapter for youngsters that don't realize there are a lot more Ampeg SVT 8x10 cabinets with XLR connectors than with Speakon connectors.