Out of band filters in speaker DSP presets

Michael John

Junior
Jun 25, 2011
Sydney, Australia
eclipseaudio.com
Hi,

I've been looking over 3-way DSP presets for some high end touring products and occasionally I notice odd out-of-band filters. For example in one preset, the mid range channel has a narrow boost of about 6 dB at a frequency that's at least 1 octave lower than the low-mid crossover frequency and where its high-pass filter is at least 20 dB down. (I could understand a cut, to reduce a resonance, but not a boost.)

Can anyone explain why there might be narrow out-of-band parametric filters? Boost or cut.

Cheers,
Michael

Re: Out of band filters in speaker DSP presets

Michael,

Whenever I build a loudspeaker preset I always measure the raw driver response first and flatten it as much as possible, even several octaves out of band. This makes building crossovers a lot easier. However, I don't know that I've ever used a boost... I do make some EQ corrections to try and make the drivers sound good at this point, so perhaps this is what they are doing.

Re: Out of band filters in speaker DSP presets

Michael,

Whenever I build a loudspeaker preset I always measure the raw driver response first and flatten it as much as possible, even several octaves out of band. This makes building crossovers a lot easier. However, I don't know that I've ever used a boost... I do make some EQ corrections to try and make the drivers sound good at this point, so perhaps this is what they are doing.

Thanks very much. Makes sense.