Out with new gear... VTX and Performance Manager

Adam Robinson

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
Chicago IL
Here are some pictures from my tour. We're carrying JBL's new VTX line array. It's really a leap forward for JBL. The boxes are very smooth and long gone is the annoying JBL midrange. There's also amazing HF extension with no noticeable distortion.

I'm managing the arrays with Performance Manager, which came out right before the gear left the shop. It's also a wonderful leap forward from System Architect for gigs like this. Managing all of the amps on my network is fast and easy, and so is monitoring. It does, however, require a pretty hefty processor, I've learned. The computer I've got out for PM isn't quite up to spec and moving around the program is slow. Metering doesn't seem to be affected by this, it's just the process of doing things like getting to the metering.

If you have any specific questions about VTX or any other part of this system, I'm always open to discuss!

Attachments

• IMG_1307.jpg
    IMG_1307.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1310.jpg
    IMG_1310.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1314.jpg
    IMG_1314.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 0
Re: Out with new gear... VTX and Performance Manager

Is performance manager worth the $400? I have become quite proficent with SA, so having to spend money for something I can make SA already do seems like a waste.

I think only you can make that decision. I was never into SA. PM brings a new toolset that makes building systems fast and easy in a way I was never able to make happen in SA. Additionally, it integrates the Line Array Calculator, bringing the data from my predictions right into my arrays and pushing any shading and whatnot to the amps automagically.

Another show into the tour, I have to say that as someone who usually doesn't go plug-in heavy, I'm definitely digging the waves package I've got out. I'm using C6 all over the place, RVox, and Q8. I'm also using the L3-Multimaximizer and S1 Stereo Imager in my post-show mixdowns.

As for the VTX, another show in and I definitely enjoy its performance. It's extremely predictable and solid, and the HF section really shines. Since I'm using IT 12000HDs to power the rig, I can take advantage of the XLT presets which have additional extension at the top of the box's range. Apparently you can't have that preset on the new 4-channel amp assumedly because it doesn't have the headroom. We are flying the rig out of carts instead of caterpillaring it up as is the traditional Vertec way... the verdict is still out on whether it's better.

I'm still only about half into performance manager. I really think my frustrations lie in not having the computer to properly handle the software and the lag between mode changes just gets on my nerves. Lesson learned: you need a beefy computer to run this software properly. I'm using PM to monitor the rig and program array shading, but am still EQing with a Lake.