Pattern Control for Low Midrange in 4-Way DJ System

Steve White

Jul 6, 2018
Fort Worth, Texas
I'm designing a 4-way setup for a mobile DJ system. Using some parts leftovers from other projects.

Crown XTi 6002, Crown XTi 1002 per side - DSP dBx VENU360

Lows JBL 2268H 18" x 4
Low-Mids JBL 2206H 12" x 4
High Mids JBL 2380 Horn /JBL 2450 2" driver x 2
Highs JBL 2402 x 4

I also have a pair of McCauley 6338 12" drivers which would probably do a decent job in a horn loaded configuration. Or go to some newer neo drivers to further reduce the weight of the low mid section.

System is as pictured thus far, I started with dual 12" low mids per side and I have the drivers and that combination sounds great for a playback system. To keep weight down and facilitate easier handling the MF & HF sections are separate. Recently changed the top end from 4 x JBL 2404 bi-radials to the JBL 2402 bullets to tighten up the vertical pattern.

On the note of pattern control, I'm now thinking about tightening up the low midrange pattern control from the dual 12". The baffles will be canted or splayed out between the drivers to widen the horizontal pattern. Same for the mounting baffle on the 2402's, they will be splayed out 20 degrees per side for horizontal pattern.

Having used the old Don Keele single 12"/15" low mid horns in the past, got me to thinking about a change on the low-mids to a horn loaded configuration to tighten up the pattern. That could also result in a weight reduction, by running a single 12" low-mid driver per side.

Low-mids will be crossed over at 120hz & 1000-1200hz to the mid-horns. I'd like something as close to the mid horn, nominal 40/50 degrees vertical and 100 degrees horizontal in the range from 250-1200 hz as a starting point for discussion - if that's even attainable.

The front baffles are going to be slanted downwards ~15 degrees to keep sound down over the dance floor. Many halls today have sound level restrictions and some have managers running around with Radio Shack SPL meters during the shows. Additionally, it's just a better way to go to keep as much of the sound on the dance floor and out of the seating areas.

Appreciate any ideas.

Attachments

• DJ1 L&R Mains R2.jpg
    DJ1 L&R Mains R2.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Couple thoughts........the top box config you show in the picture would be really heavy on top of a tripod stand, if you make it split boxes, mids and highs how are going to lock them together so they don't slide off the top?
You mentioned "tighten up the vertical pattern " you don't do that by putting speaker, drivers or tweeters side by side, stacked vertically narrows the vertical pattern and widens the horizontal pattern.

Maybe think of building a single 12 with the horn to put up on the stands.

With the XTi amps you could do your processing in the amps and not need the 360.

Couple thoughts........the top box config you show in the picture would be really heavy on top of a tripod stand, if you make it split boxes, mids and highs how are going to lock them together so they don't slide off the top?
You mentioned "tighten up the vertical pattern " you don't do that by putting speaker, drivers or tweeters side by side, stacked vertically narrows the vertical pattern and widens the horizontal pattern.

With the XTi amps you could do your processing in the amps and not need the 360.

* It's a split box design. The horns will reside within an SKB 10U blow molded rack for exactly the reason you stated and to make it overall lighter components and easier to handle.
* Recessed speaker flanges on top of the low mid cab and under the horns with a piece of sch 40 pvc pin in it. Enclosures locked together using a webbed locking strap ran through the handles and over the top of the horn case, ends connected to recessed hooks on the low mid cabinet. Simple and fast, light weight, store inside the horn case.

* Correct, vertical stacking widens the horizontal pattern. However side by side with baffles splayed out 20 degrees per driver also widens the horizontal pattern. That is the part I would like to change up. I didn't communicate that well. That's the "from" picture. Thinking a horn loaded design may be best, single 12" or dual 8's.

* Yes indeed, that's exactly what I'm thinking. Looking for design ideas or plans or even something that's already out there.

* I prefer to use DSC's - However that's the old me, I just loaded up HiQnet on the workstation and I'll have a look at the processing capabilities within the XTi's. That could be a nice system efficiency. I'll be looking to see if an XTi6002 & XTi1002 can be configured to quad-amp, with alignment and RMS limiting capability. Good suggestion.

These guys have some horns, but cutoff is a bit too high for my application. Looking to crossover at 120hz.

https://www.ddshorns.com/BassMidProducts.php.php

They say they will custom design and build, but I think I could do better cost wise with DIY.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I took a look at the processing available in the XTi1002, didn't look at the XTi6002 yet - probably identical to the XTi1002. The onboard processing in the XTi2002's will work just fine for a DJ setup. That'll free up a couple of dbx VENU360's.

Thanks Mike!