Peavey IPS 150 Static

Lonny Gammel

Freshman
Aug 20, 2013
Hello good people:

I recently acquired a set of NOS Acoustic Research AR 102's that I hooked up to a Peavey IPS 150 amp and all was good for about a month now the Peavey is causing static in both speakers with the inputs connected or disconnected, I have never had an amp like this opened up so is this a common problem and if so can it be fixed.

The sound is intermittent and sounds like this "zzxpchkshshshkzzzchchchkk" (sorry no recording device)

Sixer

Don't know if the noise is a common problem, but the "impedance selector switch" is an unusual feature- might try cleaning it and switching it multiple times. The manual says only do that when the amp is off, and also mentions a slight offset from center position can cause various problems. Might as well "work" the input attenuators and ground lift switch too.

Good luck!

A bad input gain stage is a common cause of such issues but unlikely to be both channels. Clean all internal connectors and switches and check it again. If it still makes noise try replacing the input ICs. If that second suggestion didn't make sense take it in for service.

Hey guys,Thanks for the suggestions I had to order a can of Deoxit ,should be here tomorrow so I will take the cover off and go to work cleaning it. I like these fanless amps, no noise but when they( the amp not the fan) introduce static it defeats the purpose.
Sixer

Last edited:
Hey guys,Thanks for the suggestions I had to order a can of Deoxit ,should be here tomorrow so I will take the cover off and go to work cleaning it. I like these fanless amps, no noise but when they introduce static it defeats the purpose.
Sixer
They don't "introduce static" because they're fan-less, the noise happens because the amp needs service.

Last edited:
I understand this Tim , I am trying to figure out why or where the static is coming from to try to stop it,
any suggestions on servicing this model??

Lonny