Pelican Cases on Airlines

Hey there, could use some advice. My wife and I will be flying for the first time next month out to Dallas. (All of my gigs are local so that's why I have never flown before...Incase you were wondering.) I bought a pelican air 1615 to use for our luggage (wanted something I could use for production afterwards). It is within the size and weight limits of most airlines...Will be flying Southwest. After doing some research about flying with pelican cases, it seems that the latches like to open. Some people use TSA locks (which I did buy two), some use zip ties, and some use a combination of both.

I am wondering what do you guys use to secure your pelicans for flight?

Thanks

Sent from my XT1650

Put a stack of fresh zip ties on the inside right on top, then zip tie the outside. If they do open it up, most of the time they will throw some zip ties back on when they are done pilfering through your stuff. I wouldn't worry about a padlock... if someone wants in, they will get in, or just take the whole case. My pelican has $10k with of gear in the inside and racks up about 100 segments a year for the last 10 years... never has had a padlock.

Put a stack of fresh zip ties on the inside right on top, then zip tie the outside. If they do open it up, most of the time they will throw some zip ties back on when they are done pilfering through your stuff.

And if you want evidence of tampering, I'd suggest using different colors of zipties for the spares and originals, or just get some tamper seals

And if you want evidence of tampering, I'd suggest using different colors of zipties for the spares and originals, or just get some tamper seals

My comments were in regard to TSA going through your case, which i wouldn't exactly consider tampering. The zip ties are just to make the case stays shut as it falls off the luggage belt.

I have flown hundres of different sized Pelicans as carry on, checked luggage and as air cargo...never had a latch pop open.

But I will just zip tie for good measure and leave a few new zip ties right inside if they do inspect. It is a equal share between never opened, opened and replaced with new zip ties, opened and replaced with TSA zip ties and opened and they were to lazy to replace.

If you are loking at the 1615 as a carry option for your general luggage...it kinds sucks. If you need to transport gear or something needing protection it is great but due to the rigid size you can't really pack nearly as much stuff in it as you can a regular soft sided carry on suitcase.

I have flown hundres of different sized Pelicans as carry on, checked luggage and as air cargo...never had a latch pop open.

But I will just zip tie for good measure and leave a few new zip ties right inside if they do inspect. It is a equal share between never opened, opened and replaced with new zip ties, opened and replaced with TSA zip ties and opened and they were to lazy to replace.

If you are loking at the 1615 as a carry option for your general luggage...it kinds sucks. If you need to transport gear or something needing protection it is great but due to the rigid size you can't really pack nearly as much stuff in it as you can a regular soft sided carry on suitcase.

This.

I own several 1615 and love them for gear but wouldn't routinely use one as luggage. It's amazing what you can stuff in a soft-sider and still fit in the sizing gauge.