Perfect gig for the Mackie DL1608

Rob Bernstein

Freshman
Oct 23, 2013
Framingham, MA
I know there are a few of you out there wondering about the jump from analog to digital. Wanted to share my story (at least a small piece of it anyway).
So I've been doing live sound for over 20-years, and took a bit of a break to play in a band again. That was a few years ago so I decided to get back into it after a former studio client released a solo CD and started doing some solo gigs.
Started with a MizWiz and added an Allen & Heath GL2400. Mixed a show on a Soundcraft Compact, and never looked back.
Sold the GL2400, and bought a Soundcraft SI Expression 2, Mini Stagebox, and a Mackie DL1608.
For the types of band-gigs I get, these are perfect.
So last week I had a band gig on the MA seashore in a bar on the second floor of the building. Elevator access, but a schlep from the parking area, through some hallways, up the elevator, and through the seating area to the stage.
I had both mixers with me, and opted to bring the Mackie and some short sub-snakes. Left the Soundcraft rig in the trailer.
The Mackie was perfect for the tight space and meant less trips up and down. No racks other than the DriveRack PA+ and power amps.
P1000968.jpg

Re: Perfect gig for the Mackie DL1608

Thanks. One more question. Can the 8 aes/ebu, outputs be converted to analog?

Sent from my SGH-M919

Thanks. One more question. Can the 8 aes/ebu, outputs be converted to analog?

Sent from my SGH-M919

They can, but how you do that can be the issue. I looked into converters and some are really expensive.
I did find some on eBay, but I don't believe this product is made anymore (Graham Patten DAC-20).
Here is a thread from another forum that talks about this question:http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=150018.0

Definitely agree! I also have the Soundcraft Expression 3 and a Mackie DL1608! Most bar gigs and any "challenging" load-in/out usually gets the DL1608!

Another DL1608 convert here - a lot easier than hauling my 01v and easier to mix on the fly. We used it for a show in Los Gatos, and mixed another band after us. Their remark - "where's the rest of your mixer?" Couldn't believe it was that compact. The new 4.0 software is helpful. Haven't gotten into letting band members dial in their own mix yet, but that's next.