PK Sound

Greg Cameron

Senior
Jan 11, 2011
Anybody familiar with PK Sound? They're bringing a rig into my venue this Friday for an EDM type event. Looks like they're based in Canada but have an office in San Francisco and specialize in EDM/DJ type events. I'd never heard of them until now and was wondering if they're known out there in the world and I'm living under a rock.

Greg

http://www.pksound.ca

Re: PK Sound

I recently did an EDM event at a venue I work with PK Sound. They had a truckload of what look like PK CX800 subs and VX12 line arrays. The boxes were easy to use and not insanely heavy but I wouldn't want to use them for non DJ/EDM stuff. They sounded very hyped to me. They were LOUD LOUD LOUD though. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll try to remember details about them.

The subs had an amp in every other box. They were linked with Speakon connectors. The Vx12s didn't have that.

SKRILLEX owns PK sound. They sound like absolute garbage 90% of the time. The system I had was basically a rebranded LAB sub and their baby line array. The subs certainly moved some air, but the tops just sounded like a cheap speaker- far too much 2-5k, nothing above that and the midrange just wasn't there. Who knows, maybe they've made some changes since, but I'd bring a new set of ear plugs and be ready for a long night.

Evan

I had read one online review that their stuff "got loud but didn't sound good." Frankly I don't know why the promoter didn't just use my Rat system. I've done plenty of EDM in there and the rig is more than enough for the room, enough to bring law enforcement from the low end and send your ears home with damage without pushing. I suspect it was a demand by one or more of the acts since it seems PK recruits DJs to use their stuff. I'll be sure to take some pics and give a report.

SKRILLEX owns PK sound. They sound like absolute garbage 90% of the time. The system I had was basically a rebranded LAB sub and their baby line array. The subs certainly moved some air, but the tops just sounded like a cheap speaker- far too much 2-5k, nothing above that and the midrange just wasn't there. Who knows, maybe they've made some changes since, but I'd bring a new set of ear plugs and be ready for a long night.

Evan

+1

But I doubt that skrillex owns the whole company, as they started in Calgary many years ago. Quite possibly puts enough money to keep the US 'office' afloat.

BRad

I had read one online review that their stuff "got loud but didn't sound good." Frankly I don't know why the promoter didn't just use my Rat system. I've done plenty of EDM in there and the rig is more than enough for the room, enough to bring law enforcement from the low end and send your ears home with damage without pushing.
Greg,

Be glad you will be able to leave the venue, PK is now using dual 18" cabinets, each with about 8 dB more output potential than your EVX180 loaded Rat subs. A not easily impressed friend heard a PK system in Minneapolis and was literally aghast at the LF level, he likes low bass but he couldn't stand being in the room. Extasy dosed kids were loving it, though were screaming at each other as they left just to be able to hear because of the hearing threshold shift they all experienced.

Of course, with enough LF the tendency is for most DJs is to push the top cabinets into gross distortion, another reason to be glad you won't have to listen to your Rat Traps pushed to the end stops.

Art

Well, if they decide to tap that low end power all the way, the event isn't going to last long. The police station is right across the street at the top of the driveway and their are residences next door. Low end also readily carries across the creek into the adjacent neighborhood. I've been told the by locals that attend shows they can feel the Rat subs several blocks away on occasion.

https://goo.gl/maps/q2tPa

Well, if they decide to tap that low end power all the way, the event isn't going to last long. The police station is right across the street at the top of the driveway and their are residences next door. Low end also readily carries across the creek into the adjacent neighborhood. I've been told the by locals that attend shows they can feel the Rat subs several blocks away on occasion.

https://goo.gl/maps/q2tPa

Not that this will help you but I've used HVAC spring mounts under my 2X18's and now I have those recycled rubber pucks you stick under a washer built into my caster dollies. I leave the subs in them when I am working a gym. It has made a huge difference reducing the mechanical coupling and is a cleaner low end than just slapping them on the floor. And in a gym anything can help.

i know I used a hifi buzz word and should be flogged by this group.

So, I have to say, I wasn't impressed with the system. The subs had output but did not go deep relative to the Rat Subs. They were prominent in the 60Hz range and fell off fast below the upper 30Hz range, maybe higher. The tops were weak as well. 12" 2-way boxes with a 1" driver. I'm biased, but the LD said the Rat system is much better and you can feel the low end in the floor. You also couldn't hear the vocals. Probably the lack of 2" drivers for the horns.

What was even less impressive is that the sound co. was using a pair of my subs as stands for their tops without asking when I arrived before "sound check.' I stopped by just to see what was going on for a few minutes. I left after snapping the pics. They also didn't bring a distro of any sort. I had got a text from the venue's director when they arrived telling me the sound co. wanted to use my distro. It had not been rented so the answer was no. I had pulled the donkey dick from the house sub panel the day prior to prevent unauthorized use. Good thing because these folks seem to have no qualms about using stuff without asking.

This evening, I went into town a few blocks away for a friend's bday party and stopped by the show to find that now they had grabbed my fills to use as DJ monitors without renting them. Should have locked them up. In any case, the promoter will be getting an invoice from me in the morning after I've tested them to make sure they're not blown. The venue manager has already agreed to hold the promoter's deposit until all debts with me are settled.

The LD also told me apparently the sound co. didn't bother to bring a single vocal mic either for the EDM DJs. WTF?? They had to borrow one from someone. Pretty unprofessional outfit. Beware.

Attachments

• IMG_5858.jpg
    IMG_5858.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5859.jpg
    IMG_5859.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Is PK a manufacturer or a provider or both?

This seems like a local company with a few PK boxes and attitude (and not much audio smarts) muscling a too compliant promoter.

If this is a new manufacturer the component count, presentation, and lack of basic professional courtesy smacks of the short sighted, dumbutt, low-rent. Not an image/vibe that promotes brand growth.

Either way, they will be gone soon...

Just my view from right-coast.

Last edited:

S
What was even less impressive when is that the sound co. was using a pair of my subs as stands for their tops without asking when I arrived before "sound check.' .
Whenever I go into a venue to bring in a different system-I ALWAYS ASK before anything is moved-stacked on etc. Every time it was not a problem-mainly because I ASKED FIRST instead of "marching in and taking over".

I would feel the same way as you felt if it happened to me.

However there are lots of people out there who think they are better" than everybody else-so they just do as they please-and then leave a wake of pissed off people in their path.

For what is worth-the times I have heard the same subs that showed up-I had the same impression-lots of 50-60 but no depth. That is fine for some style of music-but not for others-especially styles (like most EDM) that go low.

What was even less impressive when is that the sound co. was using a pair of my subs as stands for their tops without asking when I arrived before "sound check.' I stopped by just to see what was going on for a few minutes. I left after snapping the pics. They also didn't bring a distro of any sort. I had got a text from the venue's director when they arrived telling me the sound co. wanted to use my distro. It had not been rented so the answer was no. I had pulled the donkey dick from the house sub panel the day prior to prevent unauthorized use. Good thing because these folks seem to have no qualms about using stuff without asking.

If the venue subs are left out and are blocking viable loudspeaker positions, they can realistically be considered part of the architecture of the venue. IMO, stacking on top of them was fair game; if you were that concerned about them not being touched by others, they should have been struck. OTOH, using venue gear such as distro or fills without permission is not fair game.

Now that I have seen their website, a couple of thoughts:

1 - Canada based: Probably state money/breaks/involvement because of local labor/content.

2 - New artists: No sense of what current "state of art" really is. "First Tour" syndrome.

3 - Youthful enthusiasm: Low cost labor + change the world......and lots of fun. This is irreplaceable.

Cannot conjecture on depth of long-term influence of PK, but sure-as-shit some great techs will emerge from the experience.

It is what it is

If the venue subs are left out and are blocking viable loudspeaker positions, they can realistically be considered part of the architecture of the venue. IMO, stacking on top of them was fair game; if you were that concerned about them not being touched by others, they should have been struck. OTOH, using venue gear such as distro or fills without permission is not fair game.

It might not be clear in the pictures. The venue subs aren't being considered part of the architecture. They were picked up and moved to fill the space between the visiting subs and visiting tops.

Last edited:

I was going to give them a pass on borrowing the subs without asking staff (I do strike subs on request) until observing other bad behavior. Whenever I go into someone else's venue, I never 1) use stuff that doesn't belong to me and 2) move stuff without asking house staff. Basic courtesy.

Jim McKeveny said:
Is PK a manufacturer or a provider or both? This seems like a local company with a few PK boxes and attitude (and not much audio smarts) muscling a too compliant promoter.

Jim, I was told last week the sound co was PK. I'm assuming this was gear and folks from their satellite SF office. I know all the sound cos in the area and these guys were not from here.

I see on their site they have two different sub models. These must have been the "Klarity" 218, the lesser of the two. The CX model is a bit larger and uses higher power drivers. Based on what you guys have said about their subs, there's no way these could have been the ones discussed earlier.