PM5d won't boot

Bruce Nelson

Nov 23, 2018
Missouri
I have a PM5d that hasn't been used for 2 or 3 years. We got it out and turned it on but it won't complete the boot cycle. It gets to the screen that says PM5d Version 2 and stays there. We've tried to get to the firmware update screen but it won't do that either. Any ideas?

Yamaha PM5D and M7CL Main CPU uses I2C data protocol to communicate with other MCUs in different control surfaces. This is a common Data Bus line for all the surfaces and peripherals so, if one of the surfaces has issues initializing firmware and flags this Data Bus as "Busy" while trying to recover control, none of the other surfaces and peripherals can report status and the OS waits for its response like forever at "Loading System" in order to register the status of the hardware at boot-up sequence.

Some desks are affected by dew when stored in humid/condensation conditions and can be restored by little hardware service. Others were not so lucky and needed circuit boards to be replaced. I hope yours could be in the first case.

:cool: