Ported enclosure poser!

Carl Klinkenborg

Oct 25, 2018
Bideford, Devon. UK
A little thought experiment, that my particular brain cannot quite fathom.

Consider a plain cuboid ported enclosure having the driver plus a correctly dimensioned port mounted symmetrically one above the other on the front panel and capable of producing the desired response.

Consider now an infinitely thin and infinitely rigid divider running top to bottom dividing the enclosure in two in a vertical and front-to-rear plane, the divider continuing through to the port mouth, dividing it in two also, and also around the driver's magnet and basket. The only direct air path from one side of the enclosure to the other is between the basket and cone. The upshot is a common driver operating now into two enclosures and ports both exactly half the original size.

Will the frequency response be affected?

Stay safe All, Carl.

I read this before, but as I'm pretty new to speaker design ect I didn't share my thought's- yet.
As physic student (still at the very beginning haha), i would intuitively say there shouldn't be any big losses, as the seperator is infenitely thinn, jexcept in the port section. I imagine more losses there, as the friction surface nearly double its sice, while the air stream surface stays the same...

Reactions: Carl Klinkenborg
Most port equations I've seen do take account of the number of ports, with larger numbers of smaller ports requiring slightly more length for a given tuning than fewer, larger ports (of equivalent cross sectional area).
Therefore, your split version may end up tuned fractionally higher than without the divider.
Also, if the undivided enclosure lacked sufficient bracing, the addition of the divider may help brace out any panel resonances.
Those are the only two effects I can think of.
FWIW,
David.

Reactions: Carl Klinkenborg