Possible problems with my piezo tweeter

Richard Stringer

Sophomore
Jan 13, 2011
Boston, Lincolnshire, UK
I've been trying to set gain structure using a piezo tweeter but I can hear the 400hz tone through my piezo even with levels on my eqipment so low that there's no way anything is clipping, so I tried using a 50hz tone and still I can hear sound before clipping, this time it's a kind of scratchy sound. I thought when setting gain structure using a piezo tweeter, any sound is supposed to be inaudible until the point of clipping, at which point you should only hear the harmonics.

Any ideas guys?

Re: Possible problems with my piezo tweeter

I've been trying to set gain structure using a piezo tweeter but I can hear the 400hz tone through my piezo even with levels on my eqipment so low that there's no way anything is clipping, so I tried using a 50hz tone and still I can hear sound before clipping, this time it's a kind of scratchy sound. I thought when setting gain structure using a piezo tweeter, any sound is supposed to be inaudible until the point of clipping, at which point you should only hear the harmonics.

Any ideas guys?
You can still hear a tone-remember that the piezo presents a 1st order rolloff (6dB)-it does not "stop" the sound.

So yes you may still hear something-but when you get to the clip point-it will JUMP OUT much louder-because now it is in the "sweet spot" of the piezo.

As with anything-it is all relative.

Re: Possible problems with my piezo tweeter

Ah ok, that's where my misunderstanding came from then, thank you ever so much Ivan, I really do apreciate your help, sorry it took a while to reply and say thank you, i've been running my own internet radio station and so have been busy 4 days a week with that.