Powersoft Digam K3, K20, M50Q

Bennett Prescott

Just This Guy, You Know?
Staff member
Jan 10, 2011
Wallingford, CT
www.bennettprescott.com
IMG_1267.jpgIt has been an amazing number of years, from my perspective, since I last took some Powersoft amps out and rode them hard. I was very impressed with them then, and since that time they have only gotten more interesting.

As a general rule, I find amplifiers unexciting. I need a certain number of volts delivered into a certain load, I take whatever pro level amp will do it. I like big peak power, but I like to limit long term power so drivers don't really see power compression (which works better with some drivers in some boxes than others). I haven't spent a lot of time sweating about it since I am always more concerned about variation between loudspeakers, and nowadays I'm usually getting whatever the provider has set up for their rig anyway... which tends to be pretty big power regardless.

A few months ago I was put in contact with Ken Blecher, Vice President and Director of Business Development for the U.S. operation of Powersoft Advanced Technologies, LLC. I mentioned that I would love to take the new K20, which claims to deliver 18,000 watts into 2 ohms, for a spin. That is an amazing power figure, but I was also interested in trying out their new-to-me DSP integration which I had seen a little at trade shows but not really kicked around. Ken told me he'd be happy to send me a pair of K20s (5,200wpc into 4Ω), but I should also take a look at the new K3 (2,600wpc into 4Ω) and their four channel M50Q (1,250wpc into 4Ω), also available with DSP. Long story short, a few weeks later I was driving around with more than 45,000 watts in the trunk of my car.

Now, not only do the K and M series amps have top of the line power points, they are part of this latest crop with very tight DSP integration. I have always said (I swear!) that by integrating DSP with an amplifier it should be possible to reduce setup errors and squeeze even more performance out of loudspeakers, since limiter thresholds will no longer be dependent on amp gain and a smart amp could even tell how much power it was actually delivering. Other manufacturers have made large strides in this regard, but the Powersoft is the most impressive I've seen yet. I'll get to that in a moment.

Physical Size and Weight

IMG_1275.jpgWhen I heard of the new K3 I assumed it was the same chassis I was used to, at a power point less than the K4 I had already seen. As you may have suspected by now, it's a totally new chassis that answers a lot of complaints from people who have trouble fitting the Powersoft amps in their racks due to their unusual depth (nearly 19" for the K20). The K3 (and K2) is just over 14" deep, which as you can see is well in line with other amplifiers you may be used to. It also weighs less, a little under 18lbs compared to the K20's nearly 27lbs... not that I'm complaining! These are all lightweight amps, the K3 just hits a very welcome power point in a really exceptional size and weight. That power point, only half that of the K20 (although the K3 will not drive 2 ohm loads as readily) at 2,600wpc into 4 ohms stereo or 5,600w into 4 ohms bridged, is more than many top of the line 2U workhorse amplifiers and outstanding for many pro audio tasks. The K3 is the most interesting of the bunch to me for this and several other reasons.

The M50Q, while the same physical size as the K3, is even lighter at 16lbs. I am surprised it is only 2lbs lighter, since it feels much lighter than the K3. All these amps seem heavier than expected because they are so small, when you heft a 2U amp and it's 30lbs you were kind of expecting it. When a 1U amp is more than 16lbs it's a brick, you can't win. Nevertheless, a rack of these will be an easy lift. The power point for the M50Q works out to about 1,250 watts per channel into 4 ohms, which should be great on horns or mids. Here's a way to get your monitor rig really power dense. With no visible controls other than gain it's not even obvious there's DSP inside, which could be a real boon for installers.

The K20, shown at the bottom of the pile in the stack above, is the same physical size as the familiar K4, K6, K8, and K10. Except for the label on the front they are indistinguishable. It is even the same weight, which leads me to believe the main difference is the availability of several years development in output device voltage and current ratings. After all, the K20 will deliver 225v into a load, which is simply enormous. Almost unusable. I don't want to say something that will be laughably proven wrong in a decade, but it is difficult to imagine a professional loudspeaker driver that can take the kind of power the K20 is capable of delivering. Unfortunately, the K20 cannot be up/downgraded like the K4-10 through software, so you're making a commitment to winning any amp power competitions when you buy it.

IMG_1271.jpgAmplifier technology is surely advancing at a pace that greatly outstrips driver development, and from a box and system tuner's perspective being able to deliver big peak power is a huge boon in terms of performance and sonic quality. If you figure that live music has at least 10dB dynamic range (and more like 12-18dB), a driver that can take 400w of long term power is being constrained from maximum performance by an amp delivering any less than 4,000w. So while almost any modern amp can burn up almost any modern driver, it takes an amp the size of the K20 to be able to deliver the full waveform without clipping... and I wouldn't mind even a little more ;) But who wouldn't?

Pricing

I will say right up front that I do not buy gear, so I have no idea what these cost. Since they represent the absolute bleeding edge in power density and performance I would expect them to cost a premium. Whether that is worth it to you is a decision you have to make for yourself, but I can count on one hand the number of amps that can approach these in any metric... and I do mean approach. Not only is there room for performance and sonic gains by using amps like these, loudspeaker limits can be approached even more safely through the use of their excellent DSP integration, networking, and monitoring. As you will see later in my review these amplifiers can form the backbone of a system that is a joy to work with from a technical perspective, and also a joy to work with from a sonic perspective. I am really, really impressed.

What Gets Bennett Excited?

So if I don't give a shit about amplifiers, why have these got me all excited?

Screen shot 2011-10-27 at 4.52.55 PM.pngBuilt in DSP

The installed K DSP (which you can also get as an upgrade card and stick in your existing K series amps) does everything you would expect. 16 band output EQ. All pass filter. Polarity reverse. High pass and low pass filters of every slope and type desirable. Stackable HP/LP filters by sacrificing an EQ band! Sample resolution delay up to two seconds. FIR filters for "brick wall" crossovers and linear phase equalization, if you're into that type of thing. Load impedance measurement and monitoring. Noise generator. Raised cosine filter input equalization for arbitrary (or familiar) filter shapes, including HPF/LPF on the input. Delay change based on speed of sound (input manually). All this can be adjusted over the network through the Armonia software (which is great, and will even show you the phase of your equalization decisions) or using the front panel controls, but what really piqued my interest were three things that are unusual or impossible in stand alone DSPs.
  • Look ahead peak limiting.
  • Real delivered power limiting.
  • Damping factor correction.
Now that's the holy grail. I can limit peaks for real, not after some overshoot. I can say exactly how much power I want delivered to the driver, and not some best approximation voltage setting that doesn't have anything to do with the driver's frequency dependent power consumption. And I can apply negative impedance (I know! It's a real thing! I have no idea how it works!) to compensate for the loss of damping factor due to load presented by cabling between the amplifier and the loudspeaker drivers.

Screen shot 2011-10-27 at 6.04.10 PM.pngThat is awesome. These amps have everything a guy could hope for. If only there was a way to put in some voice coil thermal modeling, chained to the peak limiter threshold and some EQ, and maybe integrated excursion prediction for useful excursion limiting, I could get 3dB more... but I digress. This is the top top of available technology today, and frankly the real power limiting is the biggest deal. I know of one other amp manufacturer that can do this, and they aren't doing many of the other things these puppies can do (AFAIK). I want this shit in every amp of every system I ever tune up. For real.

EAW Greybox Compatibility

I think this is super cool, and gives EAW users the amplifiers they have deserved for many years. Basically, through the addition of a freely downloadable plug in for the Armonia software, EAW Greyboxes with focusing and everything one expects from the UX8800 can be loaded directly into Powersoft amplifiers. Users can build an amplifier network, configure it for the loudspeakers in use that day, and monitor it from FOH for the duration of the show. I have a few companies I work for that maintain an extensive EAW inventory, and I'm going to do my best to get them to try this out, and hopefully I'll be able to be there when it happens.

Digital and Analog Inputs

Amplifiers fitted with the K DSP option can accept AES digital or analog inputs. Input A can be switched between analog and stereo AES digital, clocked at up to 192kHz (the K DSP board runs natively at 24 bit 96kHz sampling). Fitting the optional KAESOP (AES Ethernet Simple Open Protocol) makes life even easier. Two front panel RJ45 connectors carry both 100Mbit ethernet for control data and two channels of AES audio. This audio can be input to the amplifier, or provided from the amplifier to the network e.g. so that one amplifier can receive analog or digital audio and then propagate it through the front panel jacks to the others in the same rack with insignificant delay, this simplifying cabling and allowing for more complex preset driven signal routing from up to two analog or three digital inputs.

I believe that the KAESOP card is necessary to allow ethernet control of the K DSP card, and that otherwise an RS-485 jack on the back is your way in.

Networking

powersoft_moonlight-amphitheater_amp-rack.JPGThe final piece of the puzzle, and of specific interest to anyone deploying dozens or hundreds of amplifiers at a time. The same Armonia control software I mentioned at the beginning of this piece can be structured to view a large number of amplifiers in a venue context, like you may be used to with Harman products. That allows comprehensive monitoring and control, not only of one amplifier but of many. Load presets into amps, apply EQ across all of them, and monitor the whole bunch.

I found the K series networking extremely easy to use. I plugged a K3 into my home network, jumped it together with the two K20s, and when I opened Armonia they popped right up. It is easy to assign amplifiers names for identification, or to flash their input meter bars. Any configuration changes can be made, amplifiers can be turned on and off, and large groups of amps can be monitored for signal level and power usage, etc. Not only that, but any failures inside an amplifier will be reported immediately (including a loss of connectivity), and thresholds can be set so that if an amplifier sees a component failure through a change in impedance of a loudspeaker attached to it that can be reported as well! Hopefully that doesn't happen to you at a show, but back at the shop just plug a box in, see if the impedance is good (which can diagnose a lot more than a broken VC) and sweep it using the amp's built in tone generator.

This is how amplifiers should be in the 21st century.

Re: Powersoft Digam K3, K20, M50Q

Thanks for a great review, Bennett.

I know I'm getting ahead of you, but I'm curious about the delay on the M50Q. Is it really only 10ms?

For reference, here's retail pricing of the K - DSP line:

K2 DSP+AESOP $4,993

K3 DSP+AESOP $5,856

K6 DSP+AESOP $6,864

K8 DSP+AESOP $8,242

K10 DSP+AESOP $9,527

K20 DSP+AESOP $11,289

Grant

Thanks for a great review, Bennett.

I know I'm getting ahead of you, but I'm curious about the delay on the M50Q. Is it really only 10ms?

I've got more actual use stuff to talk about but I'm on the road now, so it will have to wait until I can settle down again.

My M50Q, unfortunately, doesn't have the DSP built in so I have no idea what it is capable of. If it is not the same as the K DSP that would be a shame, but of course the amp is so much lighter and has twice the channels, so you can't have your cake and eat it too.

I would ASSume that it would be possible for your average sound dude to get these amps for about 2/3 the retail price, since that's what I've seen in the past but that was several years ago. That makes the K3 a hell of a deal. Personally, the K20 is impressive but it's not even 2dB more than the K10, so I might save the money...

Finally had a chance to really use the K3 in anger. This is one hell of an amp, I am having a lot of fun trying to cave in the ceiling at this little venue. More to follow, suffice it to say this thing sounds good and pounds even when loaded to 2 ohms on sub duty!

IMG_1399.jpgAll right, here's the story of my Saturday night and the Powersoft K3.

Latin event at a local college, DJs starting at 9, big band I've never heard of on whenever they feel like, and then DJs on until the event closes at 2 a.m. I'm working for a local company that hires me for maybe a dozen events a year, and the PA is 4 VerTec 4886 per side over some double 18" subs from another company. Normally this is all run off some iTech 12000 HDs, using JBL's program for the 86s and a preset I built up for the subs. This is a great PA that will surprise you with how much it gets up and goes, and I'm pretty happy with not only the crossover and EQs in my preset but also the limiters.

This particular night the sound company had three shows, which was stretching their gear a little thin, so I only got two iTech HDs. That means my tops will be a 4 ohm load and my subs a 2 ohm load, no problem, it's not a big room, there's plenty of cone, and the iTech ought to be able to do that all day. However, when setup was done and I was ready to fire up the amps and make noise, one of the iTechs returned "fault" and wouldn't get up. This prompted a lengthy discussion with the company owner and another tech about how best to split up the remaining available amplifiers (fortunately the shop is only 15 minutes away) to solve this problem. In the end, we decided that another gig could do without one of their iTech HDs but it wouldn't be great, the only spare amp with DSP inside is the Powersoft K3. Now, I've been wanting to really pound on a K3, but it's almost half the power of an iTech HD and while it will do 2 ohms I wasn't sure if it would be super happy about it since the 2 ohm numbers are only a few hundred watts bigger than the 4 ohm numbers. That said, the K3 is still a pretty beefy amp, and I figured worst case the subs would just stop getting louder, so I suggested we get both the K3 and an iTech HD from the shop and I'd build a preset in the K3 and see how it did.

I didn't want to just blindly copy my iTech settings into the K3, first of all it's a Q device where the iTech is octaves bandwidth (or maybe the other way around, but whatever), and secondly I know for a fact their filter behavior is totally different. I had a good idea of where I'd need EQ anyway, so it was only a 15 minute process to get the subs measured, equalized, crossed over, and aligned to the mains. Then I set my limiters, which was where I figured it might be interesting.

IMG_1402.jpgThese subs are rated for big power, like 1200w continuous per 8 ohm driver, 4800w per cabinet "program". That's about what the K3 can deliver, less in fact into a 2 ohm load which is what it was going to have to drive all night. I set the TruePower™©® limiter to 600 watts, 1 second attack, 4 second release, and listened. Sounded pretty good, and the subs got loud enough, but I kind of expected more. I could push the volume up and peg the front panel signal lights on the K3 about halfway up and then it just didn't get any louder, which was fine by me, but it also started to sound a little flat. I wasn't expecting that, so I took a closer look in the amp's settings. Turns out the output voltage limiter, which is a very hard voltage limiter designed to keep the amp from... something... deliver too many volts, I guess, was set to 69v. Peak. No wonder the subs were sounding a little flat! Considering I'd just spent the last 5 minutes railing against that voltage limiter while listening and all the while thinking "not bad, I guess that will work", I'd say those are surprisingly good limiters in terms of both effectiveness and sound quality.

Naturally, I then turned the limiter up to 140v... Considering the subs are supposed to be able to handle more continuous power than that, and considering I'd already determined that slamming up against the output limiter isn't a big deal, that should keep us high and dry and out of any risk of tossing drivers even if this company decides to use my preset in the K20s later. Time to listen again...

I was immediately impressed. The subs and the amp in combination sounded great, and delivered eyeball blurring level at FOH (admittedly only 70' away, in a maybe 500 cap room!) without sounding strained. I was seeing about 1dB of GR on the power limiter during really heavy periods of bass, which is just about what I wanted to see. Much more level than we'd need for a latin band, and waay more than I was going to give the DJs all night, so I told them I'd keep the K3 and they could stick the iTech on the other gig (where its DSP math was needed on some JBL brand speakers).

IMG_1405.jpgThis kind of performance would be impressive out of a more traditional 2U amplifier at the top of a manufacturer's line. Getting it out of the little, light K3 while loading it down to 2 ohms a side and then beating the crap out of it all night without having to worry about lunching drivers is nothing short of incredible to me. For something you could practically tuck in your back pocket it sure acts like big iron. I'm totally thrilled and will admit to having a big smile on my face while I walked the room. That smile disappeared after the first DJ went on, but that's not the amp's fault!

In any case, my verdict on the new K series stuff is a big thumbs up. Sounds fantastic, performs hard, and the DSP will let you get every ounce of performance from your boxes. I hope to see more of them soon, meanwhile the company that I was working for on this gig has had them for a few weeks and has some photos and other experiences. The amps have just moved on to another shop in MA where they're going to be running some EAW rigs, using EAW greyboxes which can be loaded into the internal DSP natively. I'm really looking forward to doing some listening tests with that setup, this could be the start of some very small amp racks...

The K3 is a sweet sounding amplifier on full range boxes as well. We have paired them with our RM25 Reference Monitors and sold the package to a few recording studios. Feedback from these installations has been stellar.

Considering that speaker is the best thing I have ever heard, and I know a bit about the level of listening you guys did putting it together, I think that gives the sound quality of these amps an A-1 five star two thumbs up.

IMAG0030.jpgThe Powersoft’s have just left the shop and there seems to be a void. We started to get spoiled with the solid huge power coming from 1 rack space and less than 30 pounds. Ok, for the good stuff. We took two K20's out to demo for a few gigs. Since I have not heard the amp, I was skeptical on leaving the normal sub amps at the shop so off to the gig was 6 Crown HD12000's and 2 K20's.

The Armonia software is rather powerful and it is not difficult to use. It gives the user a host of options like entering the speaker wire length and gauge, the electrical size breaker being used, and many more options… nice… Next impressions, the amp sounds good and is rock solid. Since it was a road test, we tested the amp on various music programs and loads as low as 1.78 ohms. In each application, the amp remained cool and performed without any issues. The amp had no problem being played at extremely high volumes with below 2ohm loads with heavy bass programs. The amp stayed cool and performed well being pounded for hours.

Final impressions, the audio quality of the bass from is very tight and full. It can play low sustained notes without any issues. Unfortunately, V4 settings are not available for the K series so I was unable to hear the amps play any of our full-range speakers. I was very impressed with the performance of this amp. It is one of the most capable amplifiers on the market. A+ Powersoft!

Attachments

• IMAG0032.jpg
    IMAG0032.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Re: What Gets Bennett Excited?

So if I don't give a shit about amplifiers, why have these got me all excited?

Networking

This is how amplifiers should be in the 21st century.

These Powersoft amplifiers can also be monitored and the basics operated directly from the MediaMatrix NWare software, much like the Lab.Gruppen PLM series amplifiers and Crest Audio Ci and CKi series.

I fully agree that here in the 21st century there is no reason I can't know what my amplifiers are doing without standing right in front of them.

Well I have had the pleasure of taking a few of these "little" amps for a test drive (K20+K3). My gig was at the Mass Mutual Center in Spfld, MA. The event was called Market America and i was providing audio support.
My main hangs were 6x EAW KF760 w/ 4xEAW KF730 underhangs, subs were 4x SB1000z (per side). I used my standard amp setup for stage left array ( KF760 =Crest PRO200 series amps 7200HF, 9200MF, 9200LF) ( KF730 = 9200M/H and 8200monoLF) ( 9200subs). Stage Right array amp rack included Powersoft amps (KF760= PRO7200HF, K3MF, K20LF) (KF730 = 1/2K20 M/HF + 1/2K20LF) UX8800 was system DSP. ( I wish i had more time to setup the Powersoft's internal DSP with the EAW Graybox/GF filters but I did not.) I did use the KAESOP software and was able to setup the internal parameters of each amp with ease. I found the software easy to install and implement. I also tried setting up the amps manually from the front panel controls. This was fairly easy to navigate even without reading the manual.
Now for the good stuff! I fired up the system and really tried to "slam" things. The Powersoft amps sounded nice and had boat loads of power especially in one rack space! I was getting big SPL levels without hitting limits on the amps. Far louder than the show actually required! ( I just had to play) As far as a sonic difference between L+R, I could not hear any significant difference . The differences that were obvious are:
A) the size vs Power - my 12spc rack looked empty! AND I had twice the power (Crst 9200=2200w@4ohm, Powersoft K20=5200w@4ohm+DSP+KASOP!)
B) I had full DSP capabilities WITHIN each amp! I could do away with my UX's and still have the same, if not more DSP horse power!
C) I could monitor, in real time, each of the Powersoft amps. This is a feature that the Crest amps lack, (and that I didnt think I would ever utilize) , but can now see the usefulness of this feature!
I am now re-thinking my 12spc monitor racks, how nice it would be to have 8 mix racks instead of 4 mix racks? This is easy with Powersoft's 4ch amps.
If you have the chance to buy, use, or rent Powersoft amps take full advantage of the opportunity!

We've recently added K3DSP+AESOP amps to our inventory and I miss one feature that our PL380's had, at least one Speakon output that contains BOTH channels of the amplifier. This combined output makes bi-amped speakers and simplified cable runs MUCH easier. I'm otherwise a big fan of the amps so I spent some time making the following adapter cables.

Jeff

Attachments

• Speakon cables small.jpg
    Speakon cables small.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 5