Presonus AB1818VSL

Ron Kimball

Senior
Mar 5, 2011
NE CT
Anybody mess about with one of these yet? It is a 2U rackmount version of a StudioLive with no control surface. It supports USB 2 or 3 (no firewire :)) and is controlled by a Mac or PC (hence the "VSL") and a special app for the iPod that "talks" to it via that. It has 8 mic pre's expandable to 16 with an ADAT box like a 'ringer ADA8000. I have an "open box" one coming in for $400 shipped 8)~:cool:~:cool: :
PreSonus | AudioBox 1818VSL
It's a bit quirky at the moment (I did say it's a Presonus LOL) but hopefully the next firmware update will make it a bit more "live sound" friendly :) . You can "test drive" the app without the hardware.

Re: Presonus AB1818VSL

I just got one at a hell of a deal and am just starting to play with it. It looks very promising. Not sure what you mean by "quirky", so far it seems pretty straight forward if you are used to the Studio Live. VSL, iPad control, great for recording, maybe great for simple live gigs, 8 channel expansion for my 16.4.2.

Not sure what you mean by "quirky"
No normal solo system - the headphones are just on a pair of auxes. All the auxes are permanently linked into stereo pairs (two stereo monitor feeds plus the one the headphones are on). No HPF's on the outputs (didn't they learn after we roasted them for that on the original SL?). Dunno why they keep forgetting about us poor live sound guys :( .

I had the AudioBox for testing. As much as I like the idea behind it, there are some downsides as well. In a nutshell:

* Latencywise it is not that great. The VSL software itself, causes 5,4 ms latency (48kHz).
* it has no mono aux sends and no prefader mute for the aux sends
* you can't adress the ADAT outputs within the VSL software
* the wallwart plug is not loackable and has no strain relief
* Gain Pots are fiddly to adjust
* no channel nameing in the VSL software
* no clipping display in the VSL sodtware

Maybe some of the Software issues have been already solved, it is some months ago, since I had one unit.

Christian

OK, it's got some issues, but they could and probably will be addressed with firmware upgrades(fingers crossed).