Pro audio forums are nothing compared to...

TJ Cornish

Graduate
Jan 13, 2011
St. Paul, MN
Every time I start to get frustrated about silly threads on a pro audio forum, I need only go visit any photography forum for perspective. I'm not sure if it's the fact that live production actually takes work that keeps most of the neurotics at bay, but whatever it is, I'm grateful. Also, not reading the X32 thread helps. :)

Re: Pro audio forums are nothing compared to...

The large-format folks tend to have a better control of that than most...
I don't know about that. Control, I mean...

To put things into perspective (pun intended) - First time I ever used a Hasselblad camera I put in the film with the protective side towards the lense. It took me a couple of rolls before I realized my mistake :blush:.

As much as I like digital cameras I actually miss the days of using real film and spending time in the darkroom.

I don't know about that. Control, I mean...

To put things into perspective (pun intended) - First time I ever used a Hasselblad camera I put in the film with the protective side towards the lense. It took me a couple of rolls before I realized my mistake :blush:.

As much as I like digital cameras I actually miss the days of using real film and spending time in the darkroom.

One of the interesting features of the house I bought 3 years ago was a darkroom right off the garage. Right now it's storage but at some point I will donate or recycle the stuff in it and set up my darkroom again. If there is chemistry, paper and film...

Haha, yes. Photography is the worst, followed by ham radio, and then pro-sound... In my list at least. One visit to the local PSA club and listening to people arguing about points. Yikes. And the joys of listening to the professional photographer explain to you why his eight year old Canon 5D is so much better than the new digital cameras on the market. Or the house wife that just bought the 6000$ camera body shooting in full auto asking if she should return it since all her photos keep coming out blurry.

I'm shopping to replace my 6-year old Canon 5DII. Apparently every Canon DSLR since 2004 is garbage due to "inadequate dynamic range" compared to Nikon and Sony. Wow - I didn't know my camera sucked until the Internet told me.

Cycling forum posters are an interesting bunch as well. Should you ride on the sidewalk? Wear Lycra or not? Get out the flame suit...

On the bright side, cycling-related G.A.S. is much less expensive than its audio counterpart.

I'm shopping to replace my 6-year old Canon 5DII. Apparently every Canon DSLR since 2004 is garbage due to "inadequate dynamic range" compared to Nikon and Sony. Wow - I didn't know my camera sucked until the Internet told me.

Not to get into this, but I went and played around with my friends 6D, I only have a 50D, and was amazed at the dynamic range improvement ;-) Also, if you like to shoot at night, long exposures, there was significantly less noise in the RAW output. But I would just try and borrow someones and try it out before you buy. I'm still on the fence about a 5DmkIII vs 6D vs just waiting for the next generation again !

I'll add a few more thoughts too ;-) I didn't like the new auto white balance, didn't seem to work as well as the one on my 50D, it tended to make things blue. The new exposure meter was MUCH better. On my 50D I just have to memorize all the correction for different scenes. On the 6D you could pretty much set it at 0 and shoot no matter what the color of the subject was.

The only reason I was really looking at a new body was because of the long exposure noise issue and I have trouble with my 50D autofocusing with the 200mm lens with the 2x multiplier. Both of which seem to be corrected with the newer camera.

Last edited:

Every time I start to get frustrated about silly threads on a pro audio forum, I need only go visit any photography forum for perspective. I'm not sure if it's the fact that live production actually takes work that keeps most of the neurotics at bay, but whatever it is, I'm grateful. Also, not reading the X32 thread helps. :)

Hello

How about HiFi-forums ???

Imagine us setting up PA with THOSE cables - for feeding power alone we would have to mortgage our houses at double value and then get some more funding for actual PA ...

I have been generally pretty happy with the 5DII. I'm chuckling because what is apparently the 'smoking gun of Canon idiocy' - less DR at ISO 100 - was a problem I didn't even know I had. :) In nearly every other area Canon is WAY ahead - their glass is A LOT better than most of the competition, and they feel great and last forever. I find it funny that there are so many "Unless Canon fixes the HUGE DR problem, I'm switching to Sony" responses. I suspect if a lot of those people tried, they would miss the other 98% of the camera that Canon excels at.

My main complaint on the 5DII is that auto-ISO is really limited. I want to be able to pick an aperture and shutter speed and let the camera figure out the exposure. I'd also like to be able to program the flash exposure differently than how it works by default. Most of what I want is improved in the 5DIII, and apparently the 5DS further refines auto-ISO.

The 5DIII is at a great price right now, but I'm holding out, as the 5DS includes a lot of software improvements I would like - anti-flicker, better metering and more intelligent focus tracking, and a few others. I'm sure these will come in the form of a 5DIV later in the year, possibly trading fewer pixels for better low-light shooting and/or 4K video.

I shoot RAW, so I don't care terribly much about in-camera white balance, but one fewer slider to tweak in ACR is nice. The 6D's center focus point is the best in the Canon fleet - even better than the 1DX I believe. I got to play with a friend's - it's a nice camera. A different friend has a 70D - that's very nice too, and a huge upgrade from the 60D and previous.

I have a preorder in for a 5DS, but unfortunately it will come after a couple trips. I'm debating getting a 16-35 F4 for the upcoming vacations. In many cases, that will probably make a more positive impact on my shooting than a new body. I may cancel the 5DS preorder and wait to see what the 5DIV brings.

I just use the camera on my iPhone 5. It works pretty good.

I just use the camera on my iPhone 5. It works pretty good.

Indeed. If the rumors are true about next gen phones coming with multiple lenses/focal lengths, there will be even more pressure on non-SLR/non-smartphone cameras.

I have an IPhone 5S (great camera), and a new IPad. Surprisingly the camera on the new IPad is MUCH worse than the IPhone camera. Don't know why they did that.

Hello

How about HiFi-forums ???

Imagine us setting up PA with THOSE cables - for feeding power alone we would have to mortgage our houses at double value and then get some more funding for actual PA ...

I'm smart enough to not waste time there, so I have no personal experience. I actually don't even own a home stereo - I use the speakers in the TV.

I'm smart enough to not waste time there, so I have no personal experience. I actually don't even own a home stereo - I use the speakers in the TV.

Hello

VERY wise decision indeed - I look up some details once or twice a year prompted by my customers and then I try to talk him out of THAT nonsense ...

I have an IPhone 5S (great camera), and a new IPad. Surprisingly the camera on the new IPad is MUCH worse than the IPhone camera. Don't know why they did that.

It's because only dorks take pictures with an iPad. It's a camera of last resort, improving it won't matter to customers.

I shoot RAW, so I don't care terribly much about in-camera white balance, but one fewer slider to tweak in ACR is nice. The 6D's center focus point is the best in the Canon fleet - even better than the 1DX I believe. I got to play with a friend's - it's a nice camera. A different friend has a 70D - that's very nice too, and a huge upgrade from the 60D and previous.

I hate sitting in photoshop trying to match the white points in a group of photos!!! I shot for awhile with it turned off but didn't really notice much difference in quality or loss of quality by leaving it on in the rare case it will get it right !!

Yeah I had tried both the 60D and 70D out. I was really impressed with the 70D, but I'm perfectly happy with my 50D for APS-C format shooting, so why upgrade ;-) I was not at all impressed with the 60D. It just felt cheap. My 50D was built on the same body style as the 5D except with a added flash. They really seemed to have got the design polished with the 70D. I never shoot video, but I tried out the 70D with one of the STM lenses, pretty cool now that auto focusing works !

I hadn't even seen the 5DS yet. I'm way behind on my outdoor photographer magazines. Is that Canon trying to capture medium format customers with the lure of great video capabilities ?

I don't own a great camera - I do however use my Mom's old Lumix from almost a decade ago. Honestly I've just about given up on shooting with it, but it's been fun to learn with. Just don't expect shutter speeds of less than 1/50s.

I hate sitting in photoshop trying to match the white points in a group of photos!!! I shot for awhile with it turned off but didn't really notice much difference in quality or loss of quality by leaving it on in the rare case it will get it right !!
If the shots are in the same area, usually you can copy and paste the white balance and exposure between shots.

I hadn't even seen the 5DS yet. I'm way behind on my outdoor photographer magazines. Is that Canon trying to capture medium format customers with the lure of great video capabilities ?
I haven't seen the 5DS in person yet, either, but enhanced video is not one of its features. It's arguably worse for video than the 5DIII - no clean HDMI out, no headphone jack. Canon has been pretty clear that this camera is for high-res studio and landscape use. Their thinking is that the target market doesn't care about video. It will do 1080P video, but it's not a main feature, and no 4K (that's the other thing people are screaming at Canon about). The presumably forthcoming 5DIV will likely be more mainstream focused, possibly including 4K video at the expense of lower still resolution. Or not. We'll see.