QSC EX2500 or RMX2450?

Richard Stringer

Sophomore
Jan 13, 2011
Boston, Lincolnshire, UK
I'm wanting to know which amplifier would be best for subs, either bridged QSC EX2500 or bridged QSC RMX2450, i've got the chance to buy either of those amps for cheap. I mean which amp has better performance with subs? I've read somewhere, can't remember where it was, that the EX series say that they found that they can't output their rated power for very long and generally weren't as loud as their specs suggest. Other people though tell me that the EX series amplifiers are excellent at sub duty when bridged, and although I know the old EX amps weigh a ton, they're very heavy, weight doesn't bother me, it's performance that's that's more important to me. I've read a lot about the RMX2450 being an excellent amplifier and I know that myself because I used to have one, although it was running mid/highs, one cab per side at 4 ohms.

Anyway, anyone used either of these amps on subs?

Re: QSC EX2500 or RMX2450?

can't comment on your application, but the EX2500 isn't a current QSC model, and doesn't ring a bell.. if it ever was a QSC amp it is so old that it's not even in their list of discontinued products anymore.. the decision should be clear

Jason

can't comment on your application, but the EX2500 isn't a current QSC model, and doesn't ring a bell.. if it ever was a QSC amp it is so old that it's not even in their list of discontinued products anymore.. the decision should be clear

Jason

The schematics and manuals for the EX2500 are on the QSC site. Looks like that design dates from 1991 or so, and was the predecessor to the RMX series.

I guess I could see how the EX2500 amps perform because my mate is selling them, the RMX2450 on the other hand are readily available on e-bay all the time near enough.

ok, so what's the price difference between a current model and a 20 year-old model? even if the performance has a slightly measurable difference is that worth it for something that has been around the block a few hundred (thousand?) times?

Jason

ok, so what's the price difference between a current model and a 20 year-old model? even if the performance has a slightly measurable difference is that worth it for something that has been around the block a few hundred (thousand?) times?

Jason

The EX2500 amps sell used for about £250 each, the RMX2450 about £300-£350 each. But as long as the EX2500 lasted me at least 6-12 months i'd be happy, then that could give me enough time to save up for a used Crown Macrotech MA5000.