QSC KLA

jeffsw6

Freshman
Jan 10, 2011
Louisville, KY
I notice that the recently-announced QSC KLA181 subwoofer still has pitiful low-frequency extension. As a product that looks like it ought to be positioned in the same market segment as the JBL VRX, I remain dumbfounded by the apparent absence of a QSC subwoofer with additional LF bandwidth, especially given that JBL is now pushing this feature, and the concept of LF extension, to buyers with the PRX618S-XLF.

Quote: said:
KLA181 Subwoofer In addition to DEEPâ„¢ DSP algorithm, GuardRailâ„¢, Auto Standby, balanced line-level XLR input with an XLR ''Thru'' connector, Attenuation Control and LED indicators, the KLA181 subwoofer also includes a polarity switch for low frequency directivity control.

I also find it surprising that the polarity switch is touted as a feature for creating a directional subwoofer array. Will there also be a delay control? I notice that a switch to configure the array for the number of boxes used is included, a nice touch which likely activates much, much more sophistication than the simple HF pad in the JBL VRX, which is looking more and more like a legacy product in need of an update.

I guess we won't know much more until the products ship and someone buys or demos them. Perhaps Bob Lee (QSC) will come along to provide some additional points of information (delay knob?) between now and then. I am also curious if it uses the same drivers as the K/Kw-series.

Now that more of these ''looks like a line array'' constant-curvature products are reaching the market, and at affordable prices, more of us entry-level providers will have to start thinking about owning something that ... has a bunch of boxes in a vertical line ... whether or not that is the right or most cost-effective solution. Damn promoters!

Re: QSC KLA

Jeff,

The hpr181has the polarity switch. I don't think that is anything new to the design. I am not sure what you mean by nor having the low extension. I have found QSC's listed -3 point to be fairly conservative' if you consider matching the output of the subs to the tops rather than running them 9 db hotter.

Why is every manufacturer coming out with a vertical array on stick? Is there really a need? You can't get enough length to really get any control over the array, and anything more then 3 boxes deep either leaves the bottom box pointed at the floor, or the top box pointed at the sky...

Yes, they have their place, but not with what the average wants to do with them...

Evan

Have you not run into the masses of ''promoters'' who want a ''line array'' for their little 200 guest events? There is obviously a market for the boxes, regardless of technical merit.

But Evan,

With only 5 boxes you can get 90x90 coverage. I am sure both the worms and birds want to hear.

If you elevate the boxes and aim the top box at the back of the audience, unless the seats are in a steep setting, the botton box would actually be pointed backwards.

I looked at the posted numbers for the sub and they are right in line with the vrx sub. Wirhout knowing the street price I reaaly can,t say what type of buy they are and I am still xrazy enough to care about how they sound throughout their range.