QSC Touchmix 16

David Nickerson

Sophomore
Jan 10, 2011
Boston
www.baystatesound.com
Not really a review, just a quick note to rave about how this unit has performed for me.

I've been a QSC fan since buying HPR122s years ago. I've since moved out of them and into a TON of K-series, making a LOT of money renting out K10s, more recently K8s and just recently acquiring a pair of KSubs. Ethical decisions on my part dictate that I'll never own another Behringer piece, so their stuff (I've also disqualified the Midas stuff by association) was out of consideration. I tried a Mackie DL1608, but was told by the salesperson that everything I needed was in the box, that it would wirelessly talk to my iPad. I didn't do my homework and learn that I needed a router.

I've long been a big fan of Yamaha digital consoles, starting with an original 01v, then 01v96, LS9-32, LS9-16, and most recently a QL1 (LOVE IT!!!). What I've long wanted was basically a LS9-8. Something that would give me decent functionality and a great feature set with a minimal input count. -A quality improvement from the Mackie 1202, 1402, CFX-12 isn stuff. (that's all I've got left for analog mixers).

I stopped at my case maker with the sealed box to let him get measurements for the briefcase I envisioned, and was thrilled when I opened the box to find that it comes packed in a perfect "pedal-board" sized soft case that offers just the right amount of protection for a top-load.

Another added bonus is that wifi functionality comes via a little USB dongle that plugs into the back of the Touchmix. No external router required. I had occasional dropouts at about 40-50' away, but it quickly reconnected.

One of my techs had the Touchmix16 out for it's maiden voyage and messaged me that he didn't like it, that the latency on-screen was a problem for him.

I had it out Thursday for my first time for a corporate for a major health care company. I didn't have much time to play, but was thrilled with it's ease of setup and performance. Today I had a daylong "festival" type event for a non-profit. A last minute shift in the stage layout cost me stage monitors, but for the 15 or so artists on stage (solos and duos) with no sound checks, it worked remarkably well. I ran the whole show on the iPad, and was thrilled at how logical and well thought out the functions and interface of this console were.

I'm really excited to buy a few of the Touchmix 8 consoles when they come. They're going to fill a real need in my inventory.

I'd love to hear feedback from other Touchmix users.

Anyone?

Re: QSC Touchmix 16

What happens when you have a problem with the proprietary power supply? That is the biggest fail on that unit.

Can you quote a verified failure rate or is this just a WAG based on a dislike of outboard power supplies?

FWIW, if there is a problem with a power supply, which would you prefer...a swappable outboard supply or swapping out the whole console for a spare? All things being equal, I'd say if you're worried, carrying a spare power brick is cheaper and easier than a whole 'nother desk...

I bought a TouchMix16 to use for wedding ceremonies and small band cocktails. I used it on 1 gig so far and I am very very happy with it so far. I am thinking about buying another one (I want to build 2 identical small PA for cocktails & ceremonies).

My only gripe is that the Graphic EQ doesn't tell me how much I am pulling frequencies out.

Mine showed up today and I played around with it for about 30 minutes. As to ease of set up,it's a snap.I didn't need any directions.Of course being a man I wouldn't have needed them anyways! haha. For reference,it took me about 6 weeks to get comfortable enough to take my Midas Pro1 out of the shop. Even then I spent hours on the phone with Kyle Chirnside tutoring me.I think I could take this thing out tommorrow.

OK,got to play with the Touch mix a little more today.Still,very easy to set up. I am not impressed with the EQ. 4 band parametric plus high cut,low cut you'd think you could get it to sound pretty special but it doesn't. I guess that's why it was about 1/10 the cost of my Pro1. But I didn't buy it to take the place of that.I will take it along on gigs with the Pro1 as a back up and use it on some speaker on stick gigs for public speaking or acoustic acts.

Can you quote a verified failure rate or is this just a WAG based on a dislike of outboard power supplies?

FWIW, if there is a problem with a power supply, which would you prefer...a swappable outboard supply or swapping out the whole console for a spare? All things being equal, I'd say if you're worried, carrying a spare power brick is cheaper and easier than a whole 'nother desk...

That's exactly what I would do...when/if I get a Touchmix. Same time I order the mixer I order a spare power supply.
I see actually having an external power supply as a big plus. It seems until you get into the mid to upper mid level of digital mixer they all have a self contained power supply with no provision for an optional external supply to serve as a backup or the other way around if you choose.
I realize there are lots of other ways for a board to die than a power supply but having a back up supply makes me feel better. As for power supply failures, this past spring when firing up the system for the opening ceremonies at a festival the external board supply died and I switched to the boards internal supply for back up. Does than mean internal supplies are better, should I use the internal as the primary supply, again I feel better having a spare in some form or another.
For what it's worth I always carry a small suit case mixer as last resort back up.

Last edited:

Midas' idea of replaceable internal power supplies seems the best way, replaceable if necessary but not possible really to loose.

What happens when you have a problem with the proprietary power supply? That is the biggest fail on that unit.
Yeah, if at least it was an external USB-C job, you'd always know how to power it no matter where you are - even for concerts you run out of the back of a truck...