QSC Touchmix 8/16 shortcomings - can anyone add solutions I couldn't think of yet?

Niels Woisin

Mar 24, 2021
Germany
1) no digital interface at all. Regardless if you want a TouchMix 8/16 console for their fantastic portability, QSC considers them the "cheap" versions vs the TouchMix 30 and provides Not even a cheap-as-chips USB 'chip'. And I've been told, that tracks from TM hard drive recordings need to be laboriously sorted and aligned, before you can continue to work on your mix in your DAW. QSC's "no compromise" philosophy missed this detail.

- Sort of a possible solution: Steinberg UR44C USB3 Audio Interface with 6-8 line inputs. 32 Bit 192 KHz processing should reduce the annoyance of converting the audio back and forth.

2) Touch display lag. Really, I've seen this done better. The touch screen on my A&H SQ-5 does not lag in any noticable way. Neither do I have a lag problem on any touchscreen I have, from tablets to a computer touch display with Studio One's virtual mixer, to amp modellers with color touch screens.

The only solution here would have to come from QSC, since we can't influence their internal coding and processing

3) Power to run it. I've seen an utterly proprietary power connector on both units. QSC's reason given for this is to reduce internal electrical noise in the console.
- But other companies have solved this problem without re-inventing the wheel and in the process making you wonder why there is no flexibility in powering it.
Its small enough to use in the field after all. A 19 Volt 100Watt USB-C power source can run very cleanly while offering flexibility on how you want to keep it powered in different locations and situations.

Beyond these 3 points, I am not aware of any other issues, and the unit has enough merits, (extensive per-channel processing, great sound, ease of use, great portability) that I still plan a purchase, just as soon as I can at least get around the lack of a digital audio interface.

Looking for suggestions!

You may want to add the analog gain without any memory/recall to the shortcomings. That a big one. Yes it does have a recallable digital portion but this has a limited range. I have a TouchMix 16 and use it for some events, but not usually those that require a lot of changes quickly. It's cumbersome for mixing multiple acts. That being said, I use it because I like many of its features. It's feedback finder works very well. QSC has some of the best service in the industry. Like all digital mixers, there are good and bad points. It may or may not be the right tool for your use.

Reactions: Niels Woisin
Hi Niels,

For little digital mixers, I've worked with the TM16, XR18/MR18 and Mackie DL16S.
The TM16 has some nice features, including the built-in interface/screen, and it appears to be well built.
For the way I mix, the DL16S features and app are by far preferred.
You can download all the apps and try them out.
If a venue has wireless issues, I can hard-wire connect a tablet or laptop for control.

Thanks and good health, Weogo

Reactions: Niels Woisin