Question about SFX and rules/laws

Ethan Chambers

Freshman
Jul 7, 2015
Southeastern PA
Hey guys,

I was trying to research laws for special effects, specifically haze, but really all effects, and all I could find was $41t on college frat boys hazing each-other.

Are there laws for special effects in regards to posting notices/warnings? If not laws, how about ESA standards?

Thank you in advance guys.

Re: Question about SFX and rules/laws

Local ordinances may vary, but as far as I know, there is not an overall rule that states you must provide notice if you use special effects. If you use pyro effects, you will most likely need a permit, but for standard fog and haze machines used properly, it shouldn't be an issue.

Now, I have been to events where they post at the door stating that fog or strobing lights or loud special effects will be used. My guess is this is a liability thing so that people in the room can't say they were surprised about the effects happening. Some people are especially sensitive to those things and can have epileptic episodes because of them.

Re: Question about SFX and rules/laws

Talk with the venues prior to the event many local jurisdictions just require a fire marshal onsite as many venues smoke detection systems can be triggered by haze and fog. But really in the US there is very little standard regulation when it comes to our industry

Sent from my XT1060