Random Emails from the Forum?

Brian Bolly

Junior
Jan 11, 2011
Baltimore, MD
Is anyone else suddenly receiving random emails from the forum regarding either ancient threads and/or threads that they've never been a part of? I'm suddenly getting 2-4 a day now, which is...new.

I stand corrected. I'm not getting forum emails, I'm getting emails from Tapatalk which I haven't used in a very long time. But I'm getting emails about both A) Zombie threads that I never participated in (and by zombie I mean that no one has posted in them in 8 years); and B) Threads that I did post in recently, but I get the same notification email 3-4 times over after only one person has responded to that thread after me.

@David Karol sent me a PM about it so I've forwarded some emails his way. I'm guessing an update broke something between SoundForums and Tapatalk, but I'll let the Mods sort it out.

There's nothing we could do regarding the Tapatalk emails, short of removing Tapatalk entirely. If you're receiving these emails, I'd suggest turning off email notifications on the Tapatalk end.

Regarding removing Tapatalk support -- I'm very open to this. It was great back in 2011 while using a forum platform that didn't have a responsive design. Sound Forums is great on mobile browsers now. There are ~25 daily Tapatalk users these days, and I'm not a fan of the app.

With that said, it looks like there's a bug with Tapatalk after the recent Xenforo (forum software) update -- Tapatalk is thinking all our posts are new: (blue = tapatalk, red = real).
1602792500392.png

That would totally explain all the random emails from the zombie threads (and threads I've never participated in) I keep getting. I re-downloaded the Tapatalk app yesterday to see if there was an easy way to disable things without re-entering all my login details to the forums (spoiler: there was not), so I'm going to try to just change my password here and see if that solves it.

Funny enough (and nothing to do with this forum), but the only way I got PM notifications over at the other place was because of Tapatalk emails. That forum software is still broken. :rolleyes:

I am not getting random tappatalk emails but random notifications. I have 12 new notifications 6 hours into today. I use Tapatalk so I would prefer that stay. It was a sad day when that other place dropped support.

So I tried by changing my password here first. All quiet for a few days, and then a pile more emails from Tapatalk (which I haven't used in...2 years maybe? I don't remember when I deleted the app). So I decided to dig for any semblance of password or login I had for Tapatalk and see what the settings were.

I got in on my desktop and poked through until I could delete my account. I found this info - specifically #3:

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 09.18.41.png
So before I deleted, I looked around and had zero subscriptions. I know I'd logged into here as well as the other place via the app before, but could find no record of any subscriptions to anything, ever. So I simply deleted my account. Time will tell if I get any more junk emails from Tapatalk.